What's new

Air C.Marshal Browne confirms MiG-21 and MiG-27 to be phased out by 2019

@sancho @Abingdonboy @IND151

If IAF placed order for more MKIs or Super 30s then i think there won't be much impact on over all fleet of IAF by the end of the decade.

Since we already have the production lines ready we can continue with their production easily even after 2017.

Lets say if IAF ordered 40 more MKIs then by the end of the decade we'll have :

Su30 MKI : 310 (270+40)
Rafale : 70 (18 by the end of 2016 n around 12-14 per year there on.)
LCA : 50 (thats the min.)
Mirage 2k : 50
Mig 29 UPG: 69
FGFA : 18
Jaguar : 120

Total : 687 or 38 Sq (taking Approx 18 per Sq )

What do u guys think???:)

Thanx @arp2041 :D

I doubt IAF will have more than 270 MKIs

I just hope that we have at least 40 Super MKIS

Last edited by a moderator:
@sancho @Abingdonboy @IND151

If IAF placed order for more MKIs or Super 30s then i think there won't be much impact on over all fleet of IAF by the end of the decade.

Ordering additional MKIs is not the point, but who would produce them? If they will be added to the HAL line, they block the FGFA production. But if they would come from Russia, we could induct more fighters at the same time, but that's not going to happen, since MoD/HAL wants to take maximum benefits of the productionline in India. More logical would be to add more LCA MK1s, or Rafales from France, since there should be a gap of production between MK1 and MK2, or the fact that France can rapidly increase their production rate.

@sancho Lets buy some f16's for IAF.....

sorry I am bored :)

@sancho Lets buy some f16's for IAF.....

sorry I am bored :)

Would have been a great choice back in the 80s, sad that they were rejected to us. Just consider a hi / lo combo of MKIs and F16 B52s in useful numbers. :eek:

Ordering additional MKIs is not the point, but who would produce them? If they will be added to the HAL line, they block the FGFA production. But if they would come from Russia, we could induct more fighters at the same time, but that's not going to happen, since MoD/HAL wants to take maximum benefits of the productionline in India. More logical would be to add more LCA MK1s, or Rafales from France, since there should be a gap of production between MK1 and MK2, or the fact that France can rapidly increase their production rate.

Can we use MKI facility for Rafale???:what:

I thought that we'll be using Mki facilities only for FGFA as that would easy commonality.

I think HAL has already started construction for new LCA production facilities.
@sandy_3126 can u shed some light here...

IMO the first sq of FGFA or PAKFA might come directly from Russia.

Thats why i suggested to use MKI facility for the production of more MKIs

I calculated a total 38 sq so even if we substract the entire additional 40 MKIs that i added then also we'll be very much at par with our current aircraft strength.:)

I doubt IAF will have more than 270 MKIs

I just hope that we have at least 40 Super MKIS

AFAIK Super 30s will come directly from Russia they already have better production capacity than HAL even if they got delayed a bit they would very much be inducted before 2018 i believe..:)

I thought that we'll be using Mki facilities only for FGFA as that would easy commonality.

Exactly, that's why additional MKIs from HAL would block the FGFA production.

AFAIK Super 30s will come directly from Russia they already have better production capacity than HAL even if they got delayed a bit they would very much be inducted before 2018 i believe..:)

Nope, they will be added to HALs productionline, that's why the production is extended to 2018/19, while the first 140 would be done around 2016.

Exactly, that's why additional MKIs from HAL would block the FGFA production.

So what do u suggest is the expected time of deliveries of FGFA or PAKFA for India n don't u think the first 1-2 of sq will come directly from Russia.

IMO HAL won't start rolling out FGFA anytime before 2020.:)

Can we use MKI facility for Rafale???:what:

I think HAL has already started construction for new LCA production facilities.
@sandy_3126 can u shed some light here...

IMO the first sq of FGFA or PAKFA might come directly from Russia.

Thats why i suggested to use MKI facility for the production of more MKIs

I calculated a total 38 sq so even if we substract the entire additional 40 MKIs that i added then also we'll be very much at par with our current aircraft strength.:)

To paraphrase Najam sethi style, a little birdie said, MKI numbers are going to overshoot the popular figures floating around, FGFA PMF will be delayed by atleast two to three years.
@sancho, I doubt if MKI production line is completely going to be uprooted to accommodate FGFA PMF, most of MKI workcells will remain for MKI overhaul and upgrade. some hangars here and there would be upgraded for FGFA and indeed would affect MKI lines. But FGFA doesn't necessarily mean end of MKI.

As far as sqdn strength is concerned, I will sit this one out. :)

Would have been a great choice back in the 80s, sad that they were rejected to us. Just consider a hi / lo combo of MKIs and F16 B52s in useful numbers. :eek:

I was just messin wid ya.... Mig29 all da way BOSS!!!!!!

India still flies Mig-21s?

8085312726_d5efeaf655.jpg

These birds were first introduced in 1959! I thought India had a $46 billion military budget or something?

India might as well ask DRDO to put wings on riskshaws and induct them into the Indian Air Force. Anything's better than a Mig-21 Flying Coffin.

Even with Pakistan's humble military budget of only around $6.3 billion, Pakistan Air Force does not fly any aircraft today that was introduced in the 1950s. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

India still flies Mig-21s?

8085312726_d5efeaf655.jpg

These birds were first introduced in 1959! I though India had a $46 billion military budget or something?

India might as well ask DRDO to put wings on riskshaws and induct them into the Indian Air Force. Anything's better than a Mig-21 Flying Coffin.

Even with Pakistan's humble military budget of only around $6.3 billion, Pakistan Air Force does not fly any aircraft today that was introduced in the 1950s. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Sure PAF flies Mirage 3's "introduced " in 1961, before vomiting on this thread, go look up when the mig21 Bisons that will remain in service were produced in India.

Sure PAF flies Mirage 3's "introduced " in 1961, before vomiting on this thread, go look up when the mig21 Bisons that will remain in service were produced in India.

what happend with the RAfale :omghaha:

Indians and their Fantasy has no boundry

can you please get those rafale:-)omghaha:) so PAF can get the J-10

Indians and their Fantasy has no boundry

can you please get those rafale:-)omghaha:) so PAF can get the J-10

you are 646 posts old on the forum, I am sure you can navigate to the relevant thread of Rafale and get updated.

Back
Top Bottom