What's new

AIIB (Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank) news

I think the only eligible members in Europe are UK and Germany.

The bigger is better, we can help the entire Europe to renew their decayed infrastructure with our tremendous production overcapacity.

Meanwhile, our manufacturing and technology capability will strengthen by several folds again.

And don't be surprised that our GDP growth will go back to 8-10% again.

Sigh, I can't post thread. I hope chinese members will address my own ignorance because I don't know jack about the banking.

1) What is the biggest benefit to China with all these countries joining?
2) What if the USA joined after holding out until the last minute, does that benefit China or not?
3) What if the USA doesn't join at all, what is the consequence of that to the Americans?

Thank you.

1) To help others to renew their infrastructure with China's production overcapacity.
2) No problem, China is welcoming anyone to join, whether the US or Japan.
3) Too bad, they can keep enjoying their decaying infrastructure.

1) To help others to renew their infrastructure with China's production overcapacity.
2) No problem, China is welcoming anyone to join, whether the US or Japan.
3) Too bad, they can keep enjoying their decaying infrastructure.

hmmm very confused with this post. I wished some more details on it in term of global influences. China had gain another great step with this AIIB. I want to know more about the political/foreign policy insights of China and the USA. Because after all this is a chess game between the 2 of them.

Just found an article on the diplomat titled, "What the AIIB Means for the US-China Power Transition." I gonna read it. But it would be written from the western perspective. I am looking for replies that are liking to this but from a chinese perspective.

for the time being, AIIB focus on the investment on Aisa infrastruction development, after all, lots of Asia countries suffers lack of infrasttruction if compared to the European, American.

the countries out of Aisa want to enter AIIB because they believe such a bank, led by China, will bring profits, and they want to share the profits ; on the other hand, European countries themselves lack momey to renew their infrastruction too, entering the bank gives them another chance to raise money.

for the time being, AIIB focus on the investment on Aisa infrastruction development, after all, lots of Asia countries suffers lack of infrasttruction if compared to the European, American.

the countries out of Aisa want to enter AIIB because they believe such a bank, led by China, will bring profits, and they want to share the profits ; on the other hand, European countries themselves lack momey to renew their infrastruction too, entering the bank gives them another chance to raise money.

Yep, now the name Asian is unsuitable for this bank.

More potential customers will only keep strengthening our manufacturing base in both quantity and quality.

Interesting. I just picked the best bits from multiple Diplomat articles.

==========================
From the article, "Meanwhile, the United States has its own reasons to have stalled the reform and expansion of world financial institutions, particularly with regards to China’s involvement. For example, the United States may worry that China has different political values and it may not truly intend to abide by the international rules. As China shows great interest in becoming more engaged in the world financial system, the United States may even worry about the genuine political intentions behind Beijing’s newly found enthusiasm."

"The report found that China generally accepts international rules, and that its role has been changing — from opposing the international system to participating and suggesting reforms, and finally to supporting and defending the system."

"By excluding China, the world’s second largest economy, in Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations, and by boycotting AIIB, the United States seems to have sent a strong message that it still has the capability to “isolate” China. However, it is the United States that has been more or less “isolated” this time around."

"Option two, which I—along with virtually every other China analyst outside the U.S. government—supported back in October is that the United States join the AIIB. There are several reasons why this is a good idea. It would allow the United States a seat inside the tent where it could be both a positive force for best governance practices and an internal critic if things go awry. It also would likely help ensure that U.S. companies have fair access to the bidding opportunities that will arise from the AIIB’s investment financing. Joining now will be hard to accomplish in a face-saving manner, but the United States could begin by publicly recognizing the need for the financing capabilities in Asia that the AIIB can provide and by moving quickly to work with Australia, South Korea, and Japan to work out common principles of accession."

"Chinese-led resource and infrastructure investment has encountered significant difficulty in a number of countries, including Zambia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Brazil, and Sri Lanka, among others. If the AIIB does not do a better job than China’s own development banks, it will be a stain not only on Beijing but also on all the other countries that are participating."

"Nevertheless, the growing popularity of the AIIB could give China the opportunity to take a more proactive role in its intended plan to build new multilateral world institutions. In fact, the U.S. inadvertently helped facilitate such an opportunity, through its de facto containment attitude in its diplomacy toward China (especially regarding the regional territorial disputes), combined with a negative or even exclusionary policy in current multilateral economic frameworks like the International Monetary Fund and the Trans-Pacific Partnership."

"The irony is that the AIIB became a symbol of China-U.S. competition precisely because that is how Washington framed it. Aside from governance issues, the U.S. was worried the AIIB would undermine its own favored financial institutions, the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank. By encouraging allies to stay away from the initiative, the Obama administration turned a regional infrastructure back into a test case for its global influence – a case that the U.S. is now seen as losing. Gideon Rachman, writing for Financial Times, called Washington’s handling of the AIIB issue a “diplomatic debacle” that “will make America look isolated and petulant.”"

"There are real concerns about the governance structure of the bank, including whether or not China will play an outsized role in determining who gets funding and who doesn’t. Such a set-up would only make it easier for China to wield its economic clout as a carrot (or a stick) to ‘encourage’ desired behaviors in other states. There are also legitimate worries about lax environmental and human rights safeguards for AIIB-funded projects."

"There are no good options left for Washington at this point. If it continues to refuse to join, it will look like a stubborn outlier that refuses on principle to take part in Chinese-led initiatives – even when the regional consensus is clearly that the AIIB is a positive development. If Washington joins on, its lateness will make it clear that the U.S. only changed its policy once it proved unable to sway friendly nations to join its boycott. As Elizabeth Economy pointed out in a recent piece, the best move for the U.S. may be to simply sit this one out – quit pressuring its allies to stay away and, in Economy’s words, “let the AIIB rise or fall on its own merits.”"

I get more questions now.

1) What rules didn't China abide in the past?? I could understand why, if you can't win then don't play by the rule. That is one of my philosophy after all.

2) "Chinese-led resource and infrastructure investment has encountered significant difficulty in a number of countries, including Zambia, Myanmar, Vietnam, Brazil, and Sri Lanka, among others." What difficulty is the Diplomat talking about?

3) "There are real concerns about the governance structure of the bank, including whether or not China will play an outsized role in determining who gets funding and who doesn’t." I don't think this happen because China is extremely diplomatic to get all these Europeans to join. With them around, I doubt China won't play fair.

I hope the bank work well despite the tone of these articles. Competition is healthy.

Could u pls give me the links?

What the AIIB Means for the US-China Power Transition | The Diplomat

That is the first article I read. The other articles are down at the bottom.

if necessary, China can upgrate equity capital to 300B, 500b since China now hold more than 1000B US treasury securities, that is why Kissinger at his 92 ran to China to "warn" (or persuade) not to open another international finacial system.

we may see Africa IIB, Latin American IIB in the near future.

I am amuse that North Korea get decline. Sigh, must be suck that no one want you.

if necessary, China can upgrate equity capital to 300B, 500b since China now hold more than 1000B US treasury securities, that is why Kissinger at his 92 ran to China to "warn" (or persuade) not to open another international finacial system.

we may see Africa IIB, Latin American IIB in the near future.

what kind of currency shall be dominated in such banks ? US$ or CNY ?

what kind of currency shall be dominated in such banks ? US$ or CNY ?

My guess is the dollar still. Take the spot light of the yuan.
It depends who is the biggest trading partner with most nations, then it should be RMB.

Would that be smart for China?? Putting the yuan out there like that meant you cannot manipulate your currency without the scrutinize gaze of other members.

*I don't know jack about economy really. I just heard on the news a lot and politicians usually say that China manipulate their currency. Dunno what that meant or if it is still a thing*

Didn't knew Russians didn't join in already

Russia was already appointed with the elite membership in the AIIB long before the European nations.

However, if Russia has announced its membership too early, then this bank could likely be shunned by Europe because of the current strained relationship between the EU and Russia.

BTW, now the political tension between the EU and Russia has the chance to be fully solved thanks to the AIIB (soon becoming the WIIB in the near future).

My guess is the dollar still. Take the spot light of the yuan.

Would that be smart for China?? Putting the yuan out there like that meant you cannot manipulate your currency without the scrutinize gaze of other members.

*I don't know jack about economy really. I just heard on the news a lot and politicians usually say that China manipulate their currency. Dunno what that meant or if it is still a thing*

The US is always the biggest manipulator of currency, not China.

Printing a trillion dollar bill isn't currency manipulation?

Quantitative easing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom