What's new

Ahmadis in Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next one to bring in religion is getting suspended. This is not a religious debate, nor is this a religious forum. The only reason this thread is sticky is because we are discussing the rights of a group.

Next one to bring in religion is getting suspended.

this is an easy way to moderate debates !

it should equally be spelled for those who have to rub qadyani qadyani in my face, every time I come to this forum.

enough already ! We really do not need discussion based upon religious themes. :toast_sign:

if some one needs to offer support, go to cheenab nagar, lament and get sore there.

Why Pakistan's Ahmadi community is officially detested​

When a Pakistani Muslim applies for a passport or national ID card, they are asked to sign an oath that no Muslim anywhere in the world is asked to sign.
The oath goes like this: "I consider Mirza Ghulam Ahmad an impostor prophet. And also consider his followers, whether belonging to the Lahori or Qadiani group, to be non-Muslims."
Like millions of other Pakistanis, I have signed this oath several times without giving much thought to exactly what Mr Ahmad stands for, or what the technical difference between Lahoris or Qadianis is. I want my passport, and if I have to sign up to a fatwa to get it, so be it.
But like millions of people from my generation I also remember that when I was growing up, the minority Ahmadi sect were considered just another Muslim sect.
Non-Muslims
Like scores of others I had friends who were Ahmadis. We played cricket together, and sometimes, when our parents ordered us off to the mosque, we even prayed side by side.
Last month, when more than 90 Ahmadis were massacred in two mosques in Lahore, I remembered the precise moment in 1974 when it all began to change.
There were street protests by religious parties against Ahmadis demanding that they should be declared non-Muslims.
One day I saw some bearded activists standing outside a clothes merchant's shop in our town, chanting anti-Ahmadi slogans and turning customers away, telling them that buying clothes from Ahmadis was haram - forbidden.
At the time I was learning to memorise the Koran from a very kind, mild-mannered teacher.
I asked him what exactly was wrong with the Ahmadis.
He explained to me that they didn't believe that the Prophet Muhammad was the last and the final messenger.
I said OK, maybe that makes them kafirs, infidels, but who says that kafirs can't sell cloth?
My teacher's response was a full-handed slap, so sudden, so unexpected that it rang in my ears for days to come.
That same year Pakistan's first elected parliament declared Ahmadis non-Muslims.
Then in 1984 Pakistan's military dictator and self-appointed guardian of the faith General Zia-ul-Haq inserted that oath in the constitution that we are all required to sign.
Because of the new laws, Ahmadis have been sent to prison simply for using the Muslim greeting Assalamu alaikum, or putting a Koranic verse in a greeting card.
Heretic
Over the last three decades the hatred against Ahmadis has become so widespread that Pakistan is now embarrassed by the only Nobel laureate it has ever produced.

Attacks on Ahmadis are beconing increasingly commonplace
Dr Abdus Salam Khan won the Nobel Prize for physics and, as a proud Pakistani, accepted his award in national dress.
But he was an Ahmadi so there is no monument to celebrate him, no universities named after him.
The word "Muslim" on his gravestone has been erased. Even the town he is buried in has been renamed in an attempt to erase our collective memory.
This hatred was evident in the reactions to the massacre.
TV channels were more obsessed with making sure that in their broadcasts Ahmadi mosques were called "places of worship".
When you refuse to call a place of worship by its proper name, you are implying that it's not a mosque, it's not a church, it's not a synagogue, it's a place where godless people do godless things.
And all the various Islamic political parties, whose leaders often refuse to pray together, are united on this.
When Pakistan's main opposition leader Nawaz Sharif used the phrase "our brothers" for the murdered Ahmadis, leaders from 11 political parties came together to condemn him and threatened to issue a fatwa declaring him a heretic.
Over the last three decades the siege has been so palpable that those Ahmadis who couldn't afford to emigrate have taken to hiding their identity.
If you want to destroy someone in public life it's enough to drop a hint that they are Ahmadi.
In the 1980s, the former chief minister of Punjab and current federal minister didn't attend his own mother's funeral because there were rumours that she was an Ahmadi.
When the funerals of the massacred Ahmadis took place there were no officials, no politicians present.
Pakistan's liberal bloggers and some English-language columnists did write along the lines that Ahmadi blood is on our hands.
Others were adamant that it was yet another Friday, yet another massacre by the Pakistani Taliban, and we should just fight this sort of terrorism and leave the sectarian debates alone.
Two incidents in the past week made me realise how pathological our response was. At a vigil to mark the massacre, where a handful of people had turned up, a passer-by asked me "Are you an Ahmadi?" My own loud and aggressive denial surprised me.
Then an Ahmadi friend whose father survived the Lahore massacre wrote to me saying: "You know we have been living like this for decades. [Did] something like this have to happen for you to speak up?"
How to listen to: From our own Correspondent
Radio 4: Saturdays, 1130. Second weekly edition on Thursdays, 1100 (some weeks only)
World Service: See programme schedules
Download the podcast
Listen on iPlayer
Story by story at the programme website

this is an easy way to moderate debates !

it should equally be spelled for those who have to rub qadyani qadyani in my face, every time I come to this forum.

enough already ! We really do not need discussion based upon religious themes. :toast_sign:

if some one needs to offer support, go to cheenab nagar, lament and get sore there.

So why do you read this thread, if you do not like it, ignore it.

So why do you read this thread, if you do not like it, ignore it.

Advice of the day:coffee:

BTW Some People here believe in something called the "Freedom of Information and Freedom of speech and expression" if you have even heard of them.

The member is expressing his thoughts as you do and based on that you are not body to tell him what he cant do ! , he has every right to view the information in this thread and have his say which does not give you the right to oppress his opinion by letting yourself off the hook.

Cheerz.

Last edited:
ALLAHU AKBAR

Can i get a mouth tape somewhere?

Gone to hell the freedom of speech , now you tell me about it what to and what not to discuss cant you?

Last night i got fined by a police officer for putting my car into reverse gear while i was trying to pull out of my drive way , when asked i was told that i was not allowed to use my Reverse gear to reverse my car - fantasy land huh ?

Power corrupts some old man has said specially when it is given to an ill fated -half baked skull written in read with some unprecedented powers in hand dont you think so?:D

There is specific thread for 'Ahmadis in Pakistan' that has been made sticky for discussion purposes, post all related news and stories over here.

Two News in Todays newspaper.

The Lahore Attack on Ahmadi place of worship was an act of "State sponsored Terrorism" - says Jammat e Ahmadiya Australia.

(good news for all Pakistanis living in the terrorist state of Pakistan :pakistan: )

Check out yourself:

http://www.ahmadiyya.org.au/default.htm

my two censt ... Amhedis/ Qadfiyanis are non muslims per our constitution and per the fatwas from around the world, however, they are no less Pakistani than anybody else and they have the right to live in Pakistan peacefully.

This constitution is unconstitutional ... as per Objectives Resolution.

Issue of someone Muslim or not ... final decision rests with God.

As per Objectives Resolution ... Parliament could not interfere in the authority of God. Parliament could not rule out this matter!

This constitution is unconstitutional ... as per Objectives Resolution.

Issue of someone Muslim or not ... final decision rests with God.

As per Objectives Resolution ... Parliament could not interfere in the authority of God. Parliament could not rule out this matter!

Parliament has a right to define Muslim coz it's a parliament of people and we have a right to define our faith as written in quran.....BTW qadiyaanis have been declared non-muslims not only by parliament but also by honorable courts of pakistan when they entered a writ against these laws in 1993

BTW if ahmadiya is a sect of Islam why they call it "The ahmadya Movment"

Sunnis or shias never use the term movement why ahmadyas are using this term???

and what is this movement for??

BTW if ahmadiya is a sect of Islam why they call it "The ahmadya Movment"

Sunnis or shias never use the term movement why ahmadyas are using this term???

and what is this movement for??
You're still confused between the difference between "Being a sect of Islam" and believing and saying "It is a sect of Islam".

The argument on this thread has been do we have the guts to allow them the freedom to say what is in their mind - or do we think we're doing some sort of service to Islam and the country by simply gagging millions of Pakistanis due to this insecurity.

They should be allowed to say and preach whatever they want - freely.

You're still confused between the difference between "Being a sect of Islam" and believing and saying "It is a sect of Islam".

The argument on this thread has been do we have the guts to allow them the freedom to say what is in their mind - or do we think we're doing some sort of service to Islam and the country by simply gagging millions of Pakistanis due to this insecurity.

They should be allowed to say and preach whatever they want - freely.

Can you allow Talibans to preach whatever they want?? if not then why ??

So .... lets watch for centuries... may be Ahmedies get more population than rest of Muslims. Then they will get the authority to define "Muslim".

Here population gets every sort of authority.

But then why to continue with Objectives Resolution...??? why don't you propose to drop it...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom