What's new

After submarine training, India likely to train Vietnamese pilots to fly Sukhois

NEW DELHI: After kicking-off submarine training for Vietnamese sailors last year, India is likely to coach Vietnam Air Force pilots in flying Sukhoi fighters as well, in keeping with the stepped-up defence cooperation between the two countries. :lol:

Both India and Vietnam are, of course, concerned about China's assertive behaviour in the Asia-Pacific region, and are steadily building cooperation in military training and "capacity-building" as well as in joint oil exploration in the contentious South China Sea.

Even as Vietnamese PM Nguyen Tan Dung began his two-day visit here on Monday, defence ministry sources said the Sukhoi training agreement being "actively" discussed by the two sides was likely "to be finalized in the near future".

The training would be on the pattern of the "underwater combat training" already underway for Vietnamese sailors at the Navy's submarine school INS Satavahana in Visakhapatnam since October 2013, as was then reported by TOI.

"54 Vietnamese sailors per batch are undergoing the 12-month programme. Vietnam is inducting Russian Kilo-class submarines and Sukhoi fighters, both of which we operate, to strengthen its military capabilities," said a source.

India is also transferring four naval offshore patrol vessels to the East Asian country under a $100 million credit line. India, in the past, has supplied spares for the Russian-origin Petya class warships and OSA-II class missile boats of the Vietnamese Navy, apart from continuing to train its military personnel in information technology and English language skills.

Indian warships also make regular port calls in Vietnam. Incidentally, after Indian warships were also "confronted" by the Chinese Navy in the South China Sea, New Delhi had send out a clear message that all must respect the "freedom of navigation in international waters" and the "right of passage" in accordance with accepted principles of international law.:woot::rofl:

After submarine training, India likely to train Vietnamese pilots to fly Sukhois - The Times of India
------
Can someone just tell me is there a rational explaination why Russia don't train Vietnam and let India to have the honor to coach Viets on how to fly sukhoi? when we all know how well Indian pilots handle their own sukhois fighter jets:lol:

India has been training other AF for decades...

Even Sukhoi jet training has been undertaken earlier.

Malaysian Pilots have been trained earlier in Su-30

Source: Indian Air Chief in Malaysia to Strengthen Defence Ties - Defence Now
IAF chief in Malaysia to bolster defence ties - News Oneindia

Also was Indonesian AF

India to train, support Indonesian Sukhoi fleet - Indian Express

PS: If possible avoid the smiley's in good threads like these.. Looks very childish and immature.

The acme of flying skills and aircraft maintenances are in the aerobatic team.
China has 3 aerobatic teams using 3 generation of planes.

CJ-6 Sky Wing aerobatic team

K-8 aerobatic team. Double barrel row at 3.18. Wow :cheesy:

J-10 aerobatic team in Russia.

This is India only aerobatic team. No barrel row.

Now you decide who is better.

Your an idoit.
I'm not going to bother with you. Go create another thread. If your PLAAF was sooooo soo soo goood! why isn't any one sending their pilots to train with you? or your mlitary?
Transparency is not what the PLA is known for. In fact, lol, the Pakistanis should train your pilots, but that would demolarize your pilots to know that a 'banana republic' like Pakistan that you look down on has better training in almost all aspects than you.

Bhai ishko koi sarang ka video dikhao...What we do with helis

:close_tema: :close_tema: :rofl: :rofl: :dance3:

My reaction after reading your post

Last edited:
Your an idoit.
I'm not going to bother with you. Go create another thread. If your PLAAF was sooooo soo soo goood! why isn't any one sending their pilots to train with you? or your mlitary?
Transparency is not what the PLA is known for. In fact, lol, the Pakistanis should train your pilots, but that would demolarize your pilots to know that a 'banana republic' like Pakistan that you look down on has better training in almost all aspects than you.

No need for personal insult. I am just sharing some videos and asking for opinions. That is all.
If I have offended you, my sincere apologies. It was not intended.

Whats so great about a Barrel roll?...Even I have done it on a Cessna 152 A....no biggie...Even a trainer aircraft can do a barrel roll....You guys produce fighter pilots or do you guys produce aerobatic ones...you dont need to do Kunfu stunts in a dog fight...get my drift.
Then you and I have one thing in common. I took flight lessons in high school in Hawaii and was in a 152. I used to fly over Pearl Harbor a lot.

Anyway...Apparently the first time a Chinese pilot tried a barrel roll, he collided with a US Navy EP-3E SIGINT aircraft. See 'Hainan Incident'. The poor pilot was killed, may God bless his soul. Since then, we can see that the PLAAF have considerably improved as recently one Chinese pilot successfully did a barrel roll over a US Navy P-8. The maneuver may be old hat to you and I, but for the PLAAF pilots, they learned a new maneuver so we should allow them some leeway in bragging and showing off. It looks like their elite pilots may have learned formation flying as well. Hopefully, that will trickle down to the ranks.

Question I have is, why Veitnam choose the Flankers? They are a pretty small country geographically, and the Flanker engines take a long time to warm up for takeoff. WTF? The Flanker is primary a long range bomber/fighter. Should they have not purchased Migs or F-16s for air defence first before throwing themselves in long range recon? Or is this because of the Spartley islands?

Question I have is, why Veitnam choose the Flankers? They are a pretty small country geographically, and the Flanker engines take a long time to warm up for takeoff. WTF? The Flanker is primary a long range bomber/fighter. Should they have not purchased Migs or F-16s for air defence first before throwing themselves in long range recon? Or is this because of the Spartley islands?
They have many single engined, short ranged aircrafts for air defence. Flankers are their only heavy fighter, for air superiority and for some offensive capability behind enemy lines. Many small countries have Flankers or F-15s for that purpose - Israel, Japan, S Korea, Singapore etc.

I won't deny only when I have access to these information...for now it's just a speculatif guessing.
What exactly do you want confirmation for? PLAN's Ming class submarine sinking with all hands on board? Your own media and Premier have publically acknowledged that, and praised the crew for their sacrifice. (Of course, after the sunk sub was chanced upon by fishermen.)

There is nothing funny or shameful about that, accidents can and do happen. Even to the best. What is shameful is that internet warriors use such accidents to belittle whomever they dislike.

That opening sentence made the rest of your post futile, because it reveals how little you know.

Some of the breathtaking maneuvers done in air shows are completely useless in combat. Some of the most difficult to execute maneuvers during combat will not impress spectators, but would save the pilot's a$s.

Anyway, if barrel rolls are what excite you, here you go - half a squadron of IAF jets doing it in precise formation, and painting the sky with the tricolour:

Last edited:
They have many single engined, short ranged aircrafts for air defence. Flankers are their only heavy fighter, for air superiority and for some offensive capability behind enemy lines. Many small countries have Flankers or F-15s for that purpose - Israel, Japan, S Korea, Singapore etc.

What exactly do you want confirmation for? PLAN's Ming class submarine sinking with all hands on board? Your own media and Premier have publically acknowledged that, and praised the crew for their sacrifice. (Of course, after the sunk sub was chanced upon by fishermen.)

There is nothing funny or shameful about that, accidents can and do happen. Even to the best. What is shameful is that internet warriors use such accidents to belittle whomever they dislike.

That opening sentence made the rest of your post futile, because it reveals how little you know.

Some of the breathtaking maneuvers done in air shows are completely useless in combat. Some of the most difficult to execute maneuvers during combat will not impress spectators, but would save the pilot's a$s.

Anyway, if barrel rolls are what excite you, here you go - half a squadron of IAF jets doing it in precise formation, and painting the sky with the tricolour:

This is a barrel roll

Last edited:
Indians indeed are the world leading experts in aero-ground abrupt contact technique. Hope the Vietnameses won't waste half of their air force in the course of learning from the supra powerful Indian Air Force.

Then you and I have one thing in common. I took flight lessons in high school in Hawaii and was in a 152. I used to fly over Pearl Harbor a lot.

Anyway...Apparently the first time a Chinese pilot tried a barrel roll, he collided with a US Navy EP-3E SIGINT aircraft. See 'Hainan Incident'. The poor pilot was killed, may God bless his soul. Since then, we can see that the PLAAF have considerably improved as recently one Chinese pilot successfully did a barrel roll over a US Navy P-8. The maneuver may be old hat to you and I, but for the PLAAF pilots, they learned a new maneuver so we should allow them some leeway in bragging and showing off. It looks like their elite pilots may have learned formation flying as well. Hopefully, that will trickle down to the ranks.

But I think its childish, what the PLAAF pilot did ...... a Barrel Roll on a P-8..(That was a punk move).I am sure they have a very good Air force, no doubt....but come on seriously ..picking on the US airforce, must have been a village idiot.

I got my Commercial Pilots license in 1998 (also IFR rated as well)...Initially got my private license from Orient Flight school(Pondicherry..Batch of 1996)..The plan was to work in a commercial airlines after completion, but goals changed due to the fact the aviation sector from 1998--2002 went into a recession/slump in India and I changed my line of work...But I do still fly occasionally to keep my certification current.

Back
Top Bottom