What's new

After submarine training, India likely to train Vietnamese pilots to fly Sukhois

This is where your ignorance about military affairs is revealing, and I say 'ignorance' kindly.

In order to have 'aces', there must be available enemy fighters. In the air war over Viet Nam, how many North Vietnamese fighters versus how many US fighters ? The undeniable fact here is that there was a lopsided availability of air combatants: There were more US fighters -- vastly more -- than there were North Vietnamese fighters. Further, US pilots were in country for only one yr before they are sent home. So given the lack of available North Vietnamese fighters and the short time US pilots were in country, it is no surprise that there would be less US aces than their North Vietnamese opponents.

Here are the truth from Operation Bolo:

- The North Vietnamese pilots were used to attacking heavily laden fighter-bombers, not fighters.

- The North Vietnamese pilots used hit and run tactic and once a few US fighter-bombers were hit, the rest would naturally dump their bombs so they could maneuver to defend themselves. By causing the fighter-bombers to dump their bombs, the North Vietnamese pilots accomplished their mission, so they left. There were no Hollywood style 'Top Gun' dogfighting like you imagined there were in order to exalt the North Vietnamese pilots and exaggerate their airmanship.

- But once the North Vietnamese pilots encountered real fighters like in Operation Bolo, the NVAF lost half of its MIG-21 fleet in that single day. The NVAF then grounded the rest of its MIG-21 for months in order to reevaluate its tactics.

- After Operation Bolo, the NVAF never regained its previous rate of shooting down US fighter-bombers simply because there were less MIG-21s and the North Vietnamese pilots became more cautious.

You got suckered by that 'aces' quantity. You need to believe the myth.
relax bro

Please don't humilate yourself further, during vietnam war, north vietnamese pilots were hiding in China and shown up when US was not expected, most of your airbase in the nord were carpet bombed by B-52 and US was not dare to attack China knowing the bad taste in Korea war...of course noone can't prevent you to claim that Vietnamese pilots belong to the best of the world because talk is cheap the reality is difference.
wrong. north vietnamese fighter jets hided in many secret places, including laos.
our pilots have arial combat experiences, and chinese? let me guess: zero. or is there something I miss? were there any chinese jets engaged in korean war?

Last edited:
wrong. north vietnamese fighter jets hided in many secret places, including laos.
our pilots have arial combat experiences, and chinese? let me guess: zero. or is there something I miss? were there any chinese jets engaged in korean war?

Where can possibly your airforce hide... in the cave? Laos was part of US air domination theater, all their lands got bombarded too. As for PLAAF in Korea, if my memory still serve me, I think PLAAF used mig-15 to engage US F-86 (sabre) in Korea war.

But I think its childish, what the PLAAF pilot did ...... a Barrel Roll on a P-8..(That was a punk move).I am sure they have a very good Air force, no doubt....but come on seriously ..picking on the US airforce, must have been a village idiot.

Not if you do the Maths.

The risk to US is a expensive P-8.
If US were to provide fighter support. The cost will escalate even more for US.
China has geographical advantage. China has more airbases within reach without refueling. US nearest airbase is in Okinawa and would need refueling.

Do the Maths.

Not if you do the Maths.

The risk to US is a expensive P-8.
If US were to provide fighter support. The cost will escalate even more for US.
China has geographical advantage. China has more airbases within reach without refueling. US nearest airbase is in Okinawa and would need refueling.

Do the Maths.
The Math is very simple....US will borrow the money from China and use it against China....Then the cycle repeats..Print more US dollars..as simple as that....Jokes apart...by doing a barrel roll the P8 is at risk?..wow what logic!...as far as airbases..ever heard of floating airbases..hint...aircraft Carrier!

What if India could sell it's stealth frigate to Vietnam ? We can open open a separate supply export dock to build export alone ...

Back
Top Bottom