What's new

After MiG-29 jets, India mulling offer of refurbished submarines from Russia?

Raj-Hindustani

Reaction score
Country
India
After MiG-29 jets, India mulling offer of refurbished submarines from Russia?
The Kilo class are numerically the most important class of submarines in Indian Navy

Web Desk April 03, 2020 10:22 IST
kilo-class.jpg
A Kilo class submarine | Indian Navy
Ads by optAd360
The Indian Navy is examining a proposal by a Russian shipbuilding company to supply three refurbished 'Kilo' class diesel-electric submarines, a defence website reported on Thursday.

Jane's Defence Weekly reported Russia's state-owned United Shipbuilding Corporation made the offer in December last year. The company has also proposed to conduct refit work on three of the Indian Navy's existing class of Kilo class submarines to extend their operational lives by 10 years, Jane's Defence Weekly reported.

"The entire package—dubbed 'three plus three'—has reportedly been priced at $1.8-2 billion," Jane's Defence Weekly reported. An agreement was expected to be formalised at a meeting of Russian and Indian officials in Goa in March, which was cancelled on account of the coronavirus outbreak. The submarines on offer from Russia are reportedly ships that are about 30-years-old.

Ads by optAd360
The Kilo class submarines, which run on batteries under water, are numerically the most important class of underwater vessels in the Indian Navy. India purchased a total of 10 Kilo class submarines, which are called the Sindhughosh class, with the majority delivered before the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991. The first ship, INS Sindhughosh, was commissioned in 1986. The 'youngest' Kilo class submarine in the Indian Navy was inducted in 2000.

Over the past two decades, India and Russia have worked to upgrade the Kilo class fleet with new sonar systems, electronics and weapons, including the Klub cruise missile, which can hit ships and targets on land. The ongoing upgrade will extend the operational life of these vessels to 35 years. Most of these submarines were upgraded at the Zvezdochka shipyard at Severodvinsk in Russia.

The Indian Navy's fleet of Kilo class submarines is estimated to number eight vessels currently. One Kilo class submarine of the Indian Navy, the INS Sindhurakshak, suffered extensive damage in a dockside explosion in Mumbai in 2013 that killed 17 sailors and was retired. Another ship, the INS Sindhuvir, is being transferred to Myanmar.

The offer from Russia for refurbished submarines comes as the Indian Navy grapples with a shortage in diesel-electric submarines, caused by the delays in the induction of the French-designed Scorpene class ships. The Indian Navy has also made slow progress on finalising a supplier for six new submarines under the Project 75I programme, which estimated to have a contract value of about $7 billion dollars. The Indian Navy can induct the old Russian Kilo class submarines faster as it is familiar with the design and its equipment.

The Kilo class submarine has been exported to numerous countries including China, Iran and Vietnam. Russia is continuing to build an upgraded version of the Kilo class for its navy.

Fighter deal

Interestingly, the offer for the used submarines comes months after Russia confirmed that the Indian Air Force was planning to "urgently buy" 21 ‘mothballed’ MiG-29 fighters. Last year, the CEO of Russia's MiG Aircraft Corporation claimed that a deal was being negotiated.

The government had granted preliminary approval for the deal, estimated to be valued at $847 million, in February last year. The 21 MiG-29 jets are believed to be jets that were built in the Soviet era, but had not seen service.

Ads by optAd360
Like the Kilo class submarine, the MiG-29 is a numerically important weapon for the Indian Air Force, with over 60 jets in service. The Indian Air Force has been upgrading the MiG-29 with new radars, electronics, weapons and increased fuel capacity.

https://www.theweek.in/news/india/2...er-of-refurbished-submarines-from-russia.html

One can search, find and draw a conclusion that it's quite possible that the subs being offered to India are those very subs that Indonesia rejected.

Read the article carefully before trolling, you will get the your answer..

One can search, find and draw a conclusion that it's quite possible that the subs being offered to India are those very subs that Indonesia rejected.

There is possibility for that, we got offered about 3-5 used Kilo class that will be refurbished later if we buy them, maybe some 7 years ago, but then rejected and we buy 3 Chang Bogo class from South Korea with TOT.

Read the article carefully before trolling, you will get the your answer..

"The offer from Russia for refurbished submarines comes as the Indian Navy grapples with a shortage in diesel-electric submarines, caused by the delays in the induction of the French-designed Scorpene class ships."

Can you read better than me?

There is possibility for that, we got offered about 3-5 used Kilo class that will be refurbished later if we buy them, maybe some 7 years ago, but then rejected and we buy 3 Chang Bogo class from South Korea with TOT.
Yes, about 7 years ago Russia offered used Kilo-class submarines but your naval chief inspected them and found them to be in bad condition. I believe the Russians are offering those same submarines to the Indians.

"The offer from Russia for refurbished submarines comes as the Indian Navy grapples with a shortage in diesel-electric submarines, caused by the delays in the induction of the French-designed Scorpene class ships."

Can you read better than me?

Yes, about 7 years ago Russia offered used Kilo-class submarines but your naval chief inspected them and found them to be in bad condition. I believe the Russians are offering those same submarines to the Indians.

Again you are just assuming, and nothing more..

No proof, these are the same. assume will not help...here

Again you are just assuming, and nothing more..
You are clearly out of your mind. Here, let me knuckle your skull a bit...

Indonesian Navy chief of staff Adm. Marsetio said on Wednesday that a Russian offer of second-hand Kilo-class submarines had been turned down because they were in poor condition.

'€œAfter we visited the location, we came to the conclusion that the second-hand submarines were not seaworthy,'€ he said.

'€œThe submarines have been idle for two years. Their engines and other components are damaged. It will be too costly to repair them.'€
-- RI passes on unseaworthy Russian subs -- The Jakarta Post (March 13, 2014) @Indos

You are clearly out of your mind. Here, let me knuckle your skull a bit...

Indonesian Navy chief of staff Adm. Marsetio said on Wednesday that a Russian offer of second-hand Kilo-class submarines had been turned down because they were in poor condition.

'€œAfter we visited the location, we came to the conclusion that the second-hand submarines were not seaworthy,'€ he said.

'€œThe submarines have been idle for two years. Their engines and other components are damaged. It will be too costly to repair them.'€
-- RI passes on unseaworthy Russian subs -- The Jakarta Post (March 13, 2014)

Where is proof that Russia is offering the same submarines?

I didn't deny about Indonesia...

Now you're trying to worm your way out? Well can you prove they're not the same submarines?

Correct, means that you are not sure and just assuming... The same I m telling to you.

Let me try to explain, now it a global world and if one country us already rejected anything then the information already get available to others very easily...

Wait for something, you will get full details of which submarine's are being offered by Russian. I could be in active service as well and after a refit, it will get transfer to Indian navy...

Correct, means that you are not sure and just assuming... The same I m telling to you.

Let me try to explain, now it a global world and if one country us already rejected anything then the information already get available to others very easily...

Wait for something, you will get full details of which submarine's are being offered by Russian. I could be in active service as well and after a refit, it will get transfer to Indian navy...
Time will tell. This isn't the first time India's getting rubbish offered.

Any country can throw any defense equipment towards India and the 56-inch guy will be happy to buy it.

€œThe submarines have been idle for two years. Their engines and other components are damaged. It will be too costly to repair them.'
Actually it will cost only $250 million per sub to repair which is a big sum for Indonesia maybe but not for India.

Back
Top Bottom