What's new

Afghanistan opens first ever train route

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Afghanistan opens first ever train route

Afghanistan has opened its first ever major railway route, paving the way for an alternative supply route for Nato troops after the crippling breakdown of relations with Pakistan.

21 Dec 2011

In a rare piece of good news for the war-ravaged country, a train chugged into the newly built station in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif for the first time on Wednesday after its inaugural 47-mile journey from the border with Uzbekistan.

Afghanistan has never had a functioning rail network. The £105 million project funded by the Asian Development Bank comes over a century after her ruler deliberately refused to join the rail age fearing any track would be used by invading foreign troops.

The country's industrial development was also victim of manoeuvres of the 19th century Great Game rivalry between Russia and Britain. Soviet occupiers abandoned a few rail projects in the 1980s, and later years of bitter civil war made such construction impossible.

The new railway comes after Pakistan closed off the supply route to Nato troops last month following an air strike on an army outpost killed 24 soldiers on Nov 26.

"It's actually a big deal. It's very significant both practically and symbolically," said Fred Starr, chairman of the Central Asia-Caucasus Institute at Johns Hopkins University in Washington.

A US military spokesman says the new railway will be key to supplying American troops – and possibly also withdrawing non-lethal cargo during the troop drawdown set to begin next year.
"We do not have numbers yet, (but) we anticipate that the rail line will be able to speed the transit of cargo into Afghanistan and out of it," said Cmdr. Bill Speaks of the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

The Uzbekistan link is part of a wider ambitious plan to connect Afghanistan to its neighbours by rail.

Afghan officials are already planning to expand its infant railroad with another proposed line to Turkmenistan to the northwest.

Last month India unveiled plans to build what could be the world's most dangerous railroad from Afghanistan's mineral-rich heartland to an Iranian port on the Arabian Sea in attempt to open a new trade route and reduce Kabul's dependence on Pakistan.

Nearly half of all cargo bound for Nato-led forces had run through Pakistan. Roughly 140,000 foreign troops, including about 97,000 Americans, rely on supplies from outside Afghanistan for the decade-long war effort.

Afghanistan opens first ever train route - Telegraph

Afghan railway: First train runs on new line in north

_57466087_afghan_mazar_2112.gif

A train has run for the first time on Afghanistan's only major railway, between the Uzbek border and the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif.

The seven-carriage train pulled into a new station in the city after travelling the 75-km (47-mile) route without any cargo.

The line was completed last year at a cost of $165 million (£105m).

The authorities hope to open up new trade routes and link Afghanistan to its neighbours' rail networks.

The new line could also become a key supply route for Nato forces in Afghanistan and help take military equipment out when the international troops withdraw, starting in 2012.

The US has been shifting its supply lines into the north and away from the volatile route from Pakistan.

The first journey on Wednesday was intended to test the track and signals, before the formal opening of the project at which President Hamid Karzai is expected to attend.

"This is a matter of pride for us and a very important issue for Afghanistan," said Deputy Public Works Minister Noor Gul Mangal, who was there to watch the train arrive in Mazar-e-Sharif.

He said the government planned to build another line into Turkmenistan, to the north-west.

congrats...................I want to see a trian runing from chabahar port in iran to central asian countries opening up the vital trade route for india...............

railway is the cheapest way of communication... :) . the line turkemistan-mazar-e-shariff-Kabul will bring easy supply for NATO and Afghan forces. It will eliminate Pakistan dependency.

Route from Iran-Kabul can give access of Sea route for Afghanistan.. Now its time to build Afghanistan, Down-Down taliban. long live Afghanistan.

I'm sure the taliban are aware that a few key placed ied's can destroy this train line causing major disruption, a certain section in the ISI can take care of this train line with a simple phone call if they wish.

If such events occurred you can kiss goodbye to your sea route dreams via Iran.

FACT Afghanistan will always depend on Pakistan whether you like it or not, the connections Pakistan and afghanistan share can never be attained by bhartis no matter how many billions you spend.

I'm sure the taliban are aware that a few key placed ied's can destroy this train line causing major disruption, a certain section in the ISI can take care of this train line with a simple phone call if they wish.

So you proudly proclaim that your intelligence agency indulges in terrorist activities.. :azn:

Mazar e Sharif is an interesting place..wait until the tracks start getting stolen for scrap! Talibans may never need to come to bomb this train..the fact that everyone execpt the Karzai gang views american presence as signs of foreign invasion will cause very bad luck for this train if it is ever to be used for NATO or US military cargo!

It good . Congratz Afghanistan on getting a train. Hope its last longer than usual. Hope it bring properity to the people of Afghanistan not the invaders.

I think its very excellent that Nato have found out a way to be not dependent on Pakistani route.I totally love it.
Coz next time they come back asking us for the supplies , Buuhahahahaha........... Maza aa jaye ga sohniyoooo. :D

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

So you proudly proclaim that your intelligence agency indulges in terrorist activities.. :azn:

Whats so amazing it is ......Dont tell me u never knew that it is was supporting Talibans......... :D

good for afghan people, hoping to hear more news of much needed development in the country

If such events occurred you can kiss goodbye to your sea route dreams via Iran.

FACT Afghanistan will always depend on Pakistan whether you like it or not, the connections Pakistan and afghanistan share can never be attained by bhartis no matter how many billions you spend.

Mazar e Sharif is an interesting place..wait until the tracks start getting stolen for scrap! Talibans may never need to come to bomb this train..the fact that everyone execpt the Karzai gang views american presence as signs of foreign invasion will cause very bad luck for this train if it is ever to be used for NATO or US military cargo!

Can we ever have Pakistanis being happy about Afghanistan developing, or you people are just happy seeing them war ravaged.
I hope you are pleased when Taliban blow up trains in Pakistan as well.

Can we ever have Pakistanis being happy about Afghanistan developing, or you people are just happy seeing them war ravaged.
I hope you are pleased when Taliban blow up trains in Pakistan as well.

Buddy, duniya gol hai.. What you wish for others, many a times you end up getting it yourself.. Pretty visible in Pakistan these days...

Back
Top Bottom