What's new

Afghanistan may have 1 trillion dollar minerals potential

Well India is not Afghanistan's neighbour. India and Afghanistan share no border. Pakistan is Afghanistan's neighbour but has no interest in Afghanistan's natural resources. Pakistan has many of its own natural resources in its southern provinces that still remains untapped to this day.

:what:

India is not Afghanistan's neighbor!!! So what? As Saudi Arabia and Pakistan don't share a border, Pakistan doesn't buy oil from KSA? What a logic!!!

Also Afghanistan and India has a very close relation.

So China should do the mining in Afghanistan :china:

:lol: Its like King of KSA giving free hand to China in all oil fields in Saudi Arabia! Who are you to decide that? Mines of Afghanistan belongs to Afghans, whether India or US or China mining them will be decided by them only. Its just starting...

Last edited:
. Pakistan is Afghanistan's neighbour but has no interest in Afghanistan's natural resources. Pakistan has many of its own natural resources in its southern provinces that still remains untapped to this day.

who r u & me to decide whom should mine Afganistan..it cannot be pakistan becoze u people have no money at all..even to mine ur country within. u can invite ur chinees friends to do the same..but even theyre not interested becoze its not that worth doing mining biziness in Pakistan..too bad quality minerals..

Pentagon 'Discovers' Huge Lithium Deposit in Afganistan

From the "re-positioning of old news' file: as quoted in the New York Times story about a trillion dollar minerals discovery in Afganistan, U.S. Discovers Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan ""There is stunning potential here," Gen. David H. Petraeus, commander of the United States Central Command, said in an interview on Saturday. "There are a lot of ifs, of course, but I think potentially it is hugely significant.""

Does the timing of this news have some significance born out of desperation? More on that likelihood down the page.

The Russians apparently made the first discoveries of these diverse and large-scale Afgan mineral deposits; and it was a 2009 USGS review of the Russian findings which led to this "re-finding.'

This was known in 2004, at the end of George W Bush's first administration.
In 2004, American geologists, sent to Afghanistan as part of a broader reconstruction effort, stumbled across an intriguing series of old charts and data at the library of the Afghan Geological Survey in Kabul that hinted at major mineral deposits in the country. They soon learned that the data had been collected by Soviet mining experts during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s, but cast aside when the Soviets withdrew in 1989.
Telling that the US military commander is quoted.
According to a year-old story by Reuters, and published on Mining Exploration News, all of this was well known back in April of 2009. So, it's mostly rinse and repeat spin.

China, of course has been going after some of the Afgan minerals for over two years.

A U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) had shown the war-torn nation may hold far higher amounts of minerals than previously thought, with iron deposits alone estimated at between five to six billion tonnes, minister Mohammad Ibrahim Adel said.
He urged foreign firms to invest in the sector, and said he did not think the security situation would deter them.

China's top integrated copper producer, Jiangxi Copper Co (0358.HK), and China Metallurgical Group Corp, are going ahead with exploration of the vast Aynak Copper Mine, south of Kabul, after they won the contract to develop it last year [2008].

The first-linked NY Times report indicated that some of the deposits are near the Pakistan-Afganistan border; and, so its not sure how well any this belated PR will work out for US businesses wishing to exploit the minerals. They might do well to let the Chinese have first crack at it like everything else.

I wish these deposits revenue go into the future benefits of Afghanistan people.

Well India is not Afghanistan's neighbour. India and Afghanistan share no border. Pakistan is Afghanistan's neighbour but has no interest in Afghanistan's natural resources. Pakistan has many of its own natural resources in its southern provinces that still remains untapped to this day.

I really cant believe ur logic :what:. Dont worry and pls dont be so biased.

Moreover the best bidder gets the contract so lets wait and watch :toast_sign:

unfortnately for India China has very deep pockets.

from the American perspective they are would be foolish to try to horde everything to themselves. The last thing the US want to do is to make it look like they in a muslim country for its natural resources.

by the same logic china is also left far behind bu u.s

dont make ur perspective the american one,u.s will die to have its hand on all the natural resources,it is one and only thing for which in future all wars will b fought

:undecided:and how came this logic,those who dont have borders don't mine,by the same logic i think iran should b the only nation who should b mining there

NYT: The U.S. has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, enough to fundamentally alter the country's economy and the war, officials say.

msnbc.com U.S. & World News - Vast mineral deposits found in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON: US geologists have discovered nearly one trillion dollars' worth of untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, including vast reserves of copper and lithium, the New York Times reported Monday.

The deposits, which also include huge veins of iron, gold, niobium and cobalt
, are enough to turn the battle-scarred country into one of the world's leading mining exporters, senior US government officials told the Times.

Afghanistan's potential lithium deposits as large of those of Bolivia, which currently has the world's largest known lithium reserves, the Times said.

Lithium is a key mineral used in rechargeable batteries, as well as everything from cell phones and laptops to electric cars.

Afghanistan has so much of it that it could become the "Saudi Arabia of lithium
," according to an internal Pentagon memo quoted by the newspaper.

The iron and copper deposits are large enough to make Afghanistan one of the world's top producers, US officials said.

"There is stunning potential here," General David Petraeus, head of the US Central Command, told the newspaper. "There are a lot of ifs, of course, but I think potentially it is hugely significant."

"This will become the backbone of the Afghan economy," Jalil Jumriany, an adviser to the Afghan minister of mines, told the Times.

A small team of US geologists and Pentagon officials uncovered the mineral wealth with help from charts and data collected by Soviet mining experts during the Soviet Union's occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s.

Afghan geologists took the charts home to protect them during the chaos that followed the Soviet withdrawal, and produced them again in 2001 with the fall of the Taliban, the Times said.

"There were maps, but the development did not take place, because you had 30 to 35 years of war," Ahmad Hujabre, an Afghan engineer who worked for the Ministry of Mines in the 1970s, told the Times.

President Hamid Karzai was recently briefed on the finding, US officials told the newspaper.

Huge mineral riches found in Afghanistan

MISSION AFGHANISTAN ACCOMPLISHED BY THE USA! ;)

GET READY BOYS!!! THE NEW GOLD RUSH IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!!!

so many threads regarding this issue, they should all be merged.

Yup...It is to be expected that soon enough, some fool is going to insinuate that the US is in Afghanistan to steal its oil...ooopsss...I mean its minerals...:lol:

Yup...It is to be expected that soon enough, some fool is going to insinuate that the US is in Afghanistan to steal its oil...ooopsss...I mean its minerals...:lol:

I dont think america is that stupid to go mine diging in this stage, that is why china is taking advantage of it because america is not interested in that at the moment. even if america is interested then that should be good as it creates more competition and afghanistan can get a better deal. since america has more adavnced machinery and money, i prefere it to go with them.

i dont care who ever mines there and take out the resources,but the only people who should get benefit from it must b afgan people,after all this is there land,atleat they have that rights

The problem here is that Afghanistan does not have a federal authority that can earn, let alone has, the respect of the Afghans. That lack of respect is more from ignorance, and I do not mean that word in an insulting manner. Absent a respected federal authority who can speak up for and at least morally defend Afghanistan's sovereign rights, the Afghan land itself is wide open for exploitation without compensation for the people. China is not going to respect Afghan's sovereign rights. Neither will any powerful despot in the region that can reach into Afghanistan. Each will make his own deals with the local Afghan warlord. And the US in trying to make the Karzai government reasonably respectable we will make mistakes along the way and those mistakes will serve US up as a convenient scapegoat for the blame game over exploitations of the Afghan land by other parties.

At least the Afghanistan now has something to look forward too...

The international community should help set up this resource collection.

Back
Top Bottom