What's new

Afghan airmen to be trained by Pakistan Private Defense Contractors

Patriot

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Afghan airmen to be trained by Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: As the withdrawal deadline of the US-led forces from Afghanistan approaches, Pakistan has, in principle, agreed to impart training to the Afghan National Air Force, a highly placed source told The Express Tribune.

A billion-dollar contract to this effect will be signed between two private defence contractors of Pakistan and the United States and the Afghan ministry of defence as soon as modalities of the plans are finalised, the source further said, adding, “Almost every issue has been decided except some nitty-gritty.”

Initially, the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) was approached by the US to find out how it felt about the matter – but keeping in view political issues, high risk and life threats involved, they refused to accept the contract.

Subsequently, the US decided to work around the PAF’s reservations by engaging an Islamabad-based private defence company for the purpose.

It is learnt that the ex-officers and instructors of PAF to be engaged for the purpose will get lucrative salaries plus attractive perks and privileges besides special allowances, proportionate to the risks involved.

Retired PAF instructors will train about 400 Afghan pilots, flight engineers, maintenance and logistics technicians and ground staff at training centres in Kabul. The US wants to hand over the Afghan war to Kabul’s National Armed Forces by 2014 – the year the last of the US-led foreign troops are slated to leave Afghanistan.

According to the plan, the Afghan Air Force fleet will be operational by 2013, with fighter jets, heavy transport aircraft, Russian-made gunships and transport helicopters.

Meanwhile, the US and Nato are reportedly gravely disturbed over the fate of an oil Refinery in Heratan (Balkh Province) – Afghanistan’s border city with Uzbekistan.

Training a special unit of the Afghan army and air force for the protection of the oil refinery is also one of the priorities of the foreign forces.

The Afghan pilots will be taught English in Pakistan before joining the flying academy. Teaching English to the Afghan Air Force is said to have turned out to be a formidable task for the US.

It is interesting to note that in June this year, 17 Afghans who had been learning English disappeared from a Texas Air Force Base where they were being trained as fighter pilots. Such incidents have been frequently reported during the last two years.
Pakistani instructors fluent in Pushto will be hired to make it easy for Afghan Air Force cadets to communicate with their English teachers and flying instructors. The Afghan Air Force officers and personnel thus trained by Pakistani instructors will get their advance training by US instructors to enable them to take over the air force and aviation infrastructure to be left behind by the withdrawing US and Nato troops.

The Afghan Air Force was destroyed after the Russian invasion of the country as a large number of Afghan Air Force personnel including pilots either fled Afghanistan or deserted.

The US-led coalition’s bombing campaign neutralised most of what had remained of Afghan air power. Rebuilding efforts began shortly thereafter, but were extremely limited for several years.

Since May 2007, the US-led international Combined Air Power Transition Force (CAPTF) has worked to rebuild and modernise the Afghan air capability, which was renamed the Afghan National Army Air Force in June 2010. The CAPTF serves as the air component of the US-led international Combined Security Transition Command which is responsible for rebuilding the Afghan armed forces.

Sources said Islamabad has also been entrusted with the task of training Afghan National Army officers at its war colleges.

Initially, the Pakistan army was approached by the US for the services of Army instructors to train Afghan soldiers in Afghanistan, but the idea could not materialise for a number of reasons.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 1st, 2010.

Afghan airmen to be trained by Pakistan – The Express Tribune

Afghan airmen to be trained by Pakistan

I suggested the same thing few days that Pakistan should donate one squadron of JF-17s to Afghanistan and train its air force. I remember that you were adamantly opposed to it while sparkingway later came along to my line of thought. Nevertheless it is good development one that was expected as Northern Alliance dominated Afghan army is very suspicious of Pakistan army. Pakistan Airforce should provide free training to Afghan airforce personnel at its training sites.

Yes i was against it and still against giving fighter jets/training to Afghanis for free.If Americans are willing to pay us for training Afghan Air Force then i have no problem :) and in any case this is being handled by private contractors not GOP or Pakistan Air Force.

Last edited:
and now they can talk all about sanctions against Pak.

This is great thing to train our neighbour to get on their own feet. Peace in Afghanistan means peace in the world.

If they are going to start all the way from scratch by first teaching English to a proficient level, this is going to take time. Plus add more years for flying training after that.

I wonder what kind aircraft...fixed wing or rotary will the US and NATO leave behind because PAF operates a number of platform.

Are they leaving any F-16s or just plain old MI17s...?

Didn't know that we had private defense contractors for such a task, but this seems like more of a PAF job.

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 AM ----------

and now they can talk all about sanctions against Pak.

It's not they, but just Karzai....

I hope this sets a good precedent. But there is alot of opposition in Afghanistan against Pakistani involvement. How could Pakistani air force refuse the offer when General's Kyani himself made the proposal to the Afghan govt and later even divuldged it through the media. Didn't Pakistan make the proposal, remeber any one? Traning the Afghanistan army, in which a small number was to be dispatched to Pakistan - certainly didn't go well and created political storms in Afghanistan. Why would the Pakistani air force refuse such an offer?
May be there is a reason after all for this "private" company to train Afghan airmen.

I don't think Afghans should have any problem with Pakistan in coopertating in any area - but trusting Pakistan the difficult part, and more so as it attempts to intervene and subvert our stability.. and it is till going on. Ok, lets be positive.

I hope this sets a good precedent. But there is alot of opposition in Afghanistan against Pakistani involvement. How could Pakistani air force refuse the offer when General's Kyani himself made the proposal to the Afghan govt and later even divuldged it through the media. Didn't Pakistan make the proposal, remeber any one? Traning the Afghanistan army, in which a small number was to be dispatched to Pakistan - certainly didn't go well and created political storms in Afghanistan. Why would the Pakistani air force refuse such an offer?
May be there is a reason after all for this "private" company to train Afghan airmen.

I don't think Afghans should have any problem with Pakistan in coopertating in any area - but trusting Pakistan the difficult part, and more so its attempts to intervene and subvert our stability.. and it is till going on.
General Kayani offered Army Training not Air Force and Air Force is not commanded by him .It is run by Air Marshal Rao Qamar.I doubt Pakistan Air Force wants to get into any mess hence refused the offer politely.Private Contractor would have Ex-Air Force Officers/NCO's.This Air Force Training Request has been made by US (Which I think will pay for this training) not Afghan Government and ultimately it is US who calls the shots.

I hope this sets a good precedent. But there is alot of opposition in Afghanistan against Pakistani involvement. How could Pakistani air force refuse the offer when General's Kyani himself made the proposal to the Afghan govt and later even divuldged it through the media.

There are many naysayers in both countries and nobody wants to appear too eager for this reasonable proposal. I think slowly this project will be implemented.

Air Marshal Rao Qamar.I doubt Pakistan Air Force wants to get into any mess hence refused the offer politely.

Air Marshal Rao Qamar job is to follow the instructions of government of Pakistan. If he wants to be part of diplomatic political decision making then he should resign and join the foreign service or run for parliament. Until then he has to follow the advise of the democratic government of Pakistan.

Well I am sure it is in agreement with GOP and diplomatic corps.Remember Air Force and Navy always follow order of government.Air Force or Navy has never taken part in coups.

General Kayani offered Army Training not Air Force and Air Force is not commanded by him .It is run by Air Marshal Rao Qamar.I doubt Pakistan Air Force wants to get into any mess hence refused the offer politely.Private Contractor would have Ex-Air Force Officers/NCO's.This Air Force Training Request has been made by US (Which I think will pay for this training) not Afghan Government and ultimately it is US who calls the shots.

No the U.S. doesn't call the shots as you think they do and it is not as simple. Army, air force, mess or no mess - it makes no differnce. Sorry I disagree.

Yes i was against it and still against giving fighter jets/training to Afghanis for free.If Americans are willing to pay us for training Afghan Air Force then i have no problem :) and in any case this is being handled by private contractors not GOP or Pakistan Air Force.

Hi,
India would like to jump into it right away.

Back
Top Bottom