What's new

AESA AN/APG-80 Radar Explained.

sorry to spoil your party but what's the point of this thread??? we are not getting the AN/APG-80 Radar

Black BLood our Block 52's have APG-68 V(9)

UAE Block 60 has this Radar...

In order to convey the complexity and extent of self-screening EW systems on modern combat aircraft, the example of the F16 will be briefly analysed. This
aircraft has the following countermeasures suite fit:
 AN/APG-80 AESA radar;
 AN/ALR-67 radar warning receiver;
 AN/ALQ-214 integrated defensive electronic countermeasures (IDECM);
 AN/ALE-47 countermeasures dispenser;
 ALE-50/55 towed decoy.
AESA

The Raytheon APG-80 active electronically scanned array radar is an 1100-element radar that has all the advantages and flexibility inherent in this type of radar. In particular, flexibility of mode of operation, high scan rates, sophisticated modulation and signal processing and LPI features give the aircraft significant operating advantages in a hostileEW environment

AN/ALR-67 Radar Warning Receiver
The RWR suite is an integrated suite comprising the following components:
 Countermeasures computer;
 Countermeasures receiver;
 Low-band integrated antenna;
 6  integrated antenna detectors (two low band and four high band);
 4  quadrant receivers

The countermeasure receiver receives inputs from the two low-band antennas and from the four high-band antennas via the respective quadrant receivers. The quadrant receivers provide preconditioning to reduce transmission losses between antenna and receiver. The receiver digitises and categorises the received signals and is able to handle a dense pulse environment while at the same time handling faint signals from distant threats.

sorry to spoil your party but what's the point of this thread??? we are not getting the AN/APG-80 Radar
You might be getting AESA with your J-10 purchase. Check for the ventilation ducts along the side of J-10B's cockpit, and compare it with F-16 block 60 from UAE. Since AESA generate quite a bit of heat, many say that duct's function is to dissipate it.

You might be getting AESA with your J-10 purchase. Check for the ventilation ducts along the side of J-10B's cockpit, and compare it with F-16 block 60 from UAE. Since AESA generate quite a bit of heat, many say that duct's function is to dissipate it.

Have'nt:no: heard anything about any Active AESA with China yet.:china:

pakistan is looking for aesa not from china but from westerns allies silix gilio etc swedish and british venture

Have'nt:no: heard anything about any Active AESA with China yet.:china:
J-11B is said to be equipped with a PESA, manufactured by Nanjing 14th Institute. We also know that China do have operational AESA in service (i.e 052C destroyer, KJ-2000 AEW). The J-11B first flew in 2007, so that's two years passed. It would not surprise me if J-10B is equipped with AESA, especially when you can clearly see the heat ventilation duct on both sides of the cockpit.

Also, performance of AESA is directly related to the number of T/R modules it contains. Most AESA offered by Europeans I've seen seems to be quite small in diameter, which means smaller amount of T/R modules. To be truly effective, the radar needs to be at least a meter in diameter.

pakistan is looking for aesa not from china but from westerns allies silix gilio etc swedish and british venture
Pakistan is already purchasing KJ-200 from China. The possibilty of a Chinese AESA for FC-20 is definitely there. Furthermore, I doubt the Europeans will allow you to borrow their money to purchase the systems, which makes the Chinese option more likely.

Just my subjective opinion.

Last edited:
^^sweet that sounds so good .

I am hearing about SG/Vixen 1000 AESA for JF-17 which would also be on JAS-39 gripen NG.:cheers:

^^sweet that sounds so good .

I am hearing about SG/Vixen 1000 AESA for JF-17 which would also be on JAS-39 gripen NG.:cheers:

could you provide the link to the source please. Are we going to get it in our second or third block JF-17.
:pakistan:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom