What's new

Actually, Satya Nadella's selection as Microsoft CEO isn't great for Indians

Ever wondered why all Indian film makers and actors crave for "Oscars"? Why are "National Awards", "Filmfare Awards" not good enough recognition of their works? Why do our TV and big screen celebrities forget their mother tongue while being interviewed on the red carpet? When was the last time a dark-brown skinned Indian who looked more Indian than Caucasian got a lead role in our films?
I think this craving has more to do with international recognition and prestige of the award.
In movie business exposure is very important and winning an Oscar will give you way more exposure than a filmfare.

Oscar winning movies almost always have better production value than national award winning movies.Ergo, an Oscar is valued more than a filmfare.

OT Indians like Nadella have proved we can more than hold our own against anyone in the world.We just need a system which rewards merit, not stifle it.Until then more and more people like Nadella will continue to leave.

Our ancestors were taught that we are culturally and intellectually inferior to the Europeans. This information was passed on to the next generations repeatedly, and now it has become a part of our genes.

This was true a generation ago, but anymore.

We know what an Indian named Preet Bharara did to our Indian Diplomat don't we? Forget about what he did to an Indian for once. Let us discuss what kind of surname "Bharara" really is? Most probably he changed his surname to make it sound more American than Indian.

We seriously need to change the way we look at ourselves.

Why are you angry at him dude.For me, he is an american citizen doing his job.I may like him a little better because of his ethnicity, but at the end of the day, he is an American, not Indian.
Why are you expecting him to behave like he is Indian bcoz of his ethnicity.

He can change his name, surname whatever.Don't know thats relevant to the topic.

Last edited:
Bollywood became famous because it was based on Indian culture and ethos. The stories wove a narrative of Indian village life, people, customs, mythology, human relationships, emotions. They spread throughout the world without marketing or propaganda. People from Africa, Middle East, South America, Central Asia, Russia, Eastern Europe, SE Asia traveled distances to see Indian movies. They grew up listening to Indian songs. It sold 3.6 billion tickets compared to 2 billion of Hollywood.

Then our English lallus took over the film industry. With an eye on Oscars, they have been churning out crap after crap 2nd grade Hollywood-look alike ripoffs.

If I want to watch an English movie, why the hell would I watch a second grade Bollywood movie. Comment after comment in the youtube videos talk about how the magic is gone.

Last edited:
I think this craving has more to do with international recognition and prestige of the award.
In movie business exposure is very important and winning an Oscar will give you way more exposure than a filmfare.

Oscar winning movies almost always have better production value and national award winning movies.Ergo, an Oscar is valued more than a filmfare.

OT Indians like Nadella have proved we can more than hold our own against anyone in the world.We just need a system which rewards merit, not stifle it.Until then more and more people like Nadella will continue to leave.

This is a well known fact that Indians make good managers, nadella is no exception, he is not the first Indian origin person who has climbed up the corporate ladder and reached at the top, he won't be the last one.

Is he the lonely shining star? I doubt that. Just read how fortunes of Land Rover changed after coming under the Indian management:
Jaguar Land Rover breaks sales record
Did the Indian media report it? Remember, a part of Land Rover's profit is channelled into India. Also read how Laxmi Mittal turned loss making factories into money making machines. Laxmi Mittal is still an Indian citizen. There are plenty of other examples. There are many success stories.

Do we need people like Satya Nadella? May be.
Do we need people like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs? Damn yeah.

India needs to climb up the value ladder. We need to produce entrepreneurs.

Bollywood became famous because it was based on Indian culture and ethos. The stories wove a narrative of Indian village, people, customs, mythology, human relationships, emotions. They spread throughout the world without marketing or propaganda. People from Africa, Middle East, South America, Central Asia, Russia, Eastern Europe, SE Asia traveled distances to see Indian movies. They grew up listening to Indian songs. It sold 3.6 billion tickets compared to 2 billion of Hollywood.

Then our English lallus took over the film industry. With an eye on Oscars, they have been churning out crap after crap 2nd grade Hollywood-look alike ripoffs.

If I want to watch an English movie, why the hell would I watch a second grade Bollywood movie. Comment after comment in the youtube videos talk about how the magic is gone.

Short answer:Jo bikta hai, wo dikhta hai :D

Long answer:

This is just another effect of globalization. Due to faster modes of transportation the world has become a global village.
In the past each region was insulated from others and hence developed a unique identity.
But now the whole world world is moving towards one global culture, because it is highly interconnected and deeply inter woven.

Ancient languages are becoming extinct.Dance and art forms are dying out slowly.

Is it a little sad ? Yes it is.

This phenomenon is not just limited to India and neither it is a one way transformation.We too are contributing a little in international culture.Yoga and vegetariansm are both gaining followers.
Webster dictionary is adding new Hinglish words every year.
Similarly Japanese anime is gaining popularity all over the world.You get the point.
As India develops expect its share in global culture to increase.
If you are are planning to reverse this trend you are swwiming against the tide

Last edited:
@favabeans lol genius here the first "GREAT" thing he is doing!

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella asked to bring cloud hosting to India

Source:- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella asked to bring cloud hosting to India - The Economic Times

Now Microsoft's cloud services will be hosted in India!

Any more doubts? Anyone?

Have you heard about something called Network Latency? In distributed computing infrastructure geographical proximity matters a lot. Data centres should be pretty close to the region which they serve. Plus there is a huge cost benefit. He is not doing any favour to India if he is contemplating such move. India is now a big market for Microsoft particularly in "cloud hosting".

Even companies like IBM are gonna bring their infrastructure to India eventually. IBM serves it's Indian customer from it's Singapore based infrastructure currently.

Short answer:Jo bikta hai, wo dikhta hai
This is a well known fact that Indians make good managers, nadella is no exception, he is not the first Indian origin person who has climbed up the corporate ladder and reached at the top, he won't be the last one.

Is he the lonely shining star? I doubt that. Just read how fortunes of Land Rover changed after coming under the Indian management:
Jaguar Land Rover breaks sales record
Did the Indian media report it? Remember, a part of Land Rover's profit is channelled into India. Also read how Laxmi Mittal turned loss making factories into money making machines. Laxmi Mittal is still an Indian citizen. There are plenty of other examples. There are many success stories.

Do we need people like Satya Nadella? May be.
Do we need people like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs? Damn yeah.

India needs to climb up the value ladder. We need to produce entrepreneurs.

Then how is Nadella becoming CEO of MS bad for India ? At the very least it will enhance the reputations of our colleges and thier grads.

Even after loosing him and thousands of others like him, we didn't change the system to retain our best talent.
Why are you begrudging him his success ?
Its not his fault that we lost him.Its our system's fault.

Short answer:Jo bikta hai, wo dikhta hai :D

Woh tho pehele bhi bik raha tha.

What you now have is skewed business models. All the money from the movies comes from the first weekend ticket sales with 1000s of prints in distribution simultaneously. They do not care about market feedback. Any crap makes money. But this is a very myopic view of doing business. It wont take long before they get called for what they are - THRASH. What was built up over decades would be destroyed in a few years.

This is not globalization, this is digestion. India losing out its culture to American culture.

India warns US of consequences on visa reform - The Times of India

Then how is Nadella becoming CEO of MS bad for India ? At the very least it will enhance the reputations of our colleges and thier grads.

Even after loosing him and thousands of others like him, we didn't change the system to retain our best talent.
Why are you begrudging him his success ?
Its not his fault that we lost him.Its our system's fault.

Not good =/= BAD
The moot point is that Nadella's elevation doesn't mean much for Indians. Our "best talent" did not exit India because there is a lack of opportunity, but because in US they get paid in $$$$$. That is the typical behaviour associated with the managers.

Entrepreneurs do not wait for opportunities, they create opportunities. There are plenty of "Indian success" stories which might inspire us. We do not need a Nadella for this.

Not good =/= BAD
The moot point is that Nadella's elevation doesn't mean much for Indians. Our "best talent" did not exit India because there is a lack of opportunity, but because in US they get paid in $$$$$. That is the typical behaviour associated with the managers.

Entrepreneurs do not wait for opportunities, they create opportunities. There are plenty of "Indian success" stories which might inspire us. We do not need a Nadella for this.

True that. India has lot, lot more millionaires than projected. Those who are well educated here also do very well financially here. All our best minds are by no means outside the country. If that was the case, we would not have anything to show at all in all the fields we have made strides in.

“Future of Indian science will emerge from smaller towns” - The Hindu

The future of Indian science will emerge from smaller towns of the country, T. Ramasami, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology said on Sunday.

Terming India's scientific talent pool as fantastic, Mr. Ramasami said the advantage of the country's gene pool had been negated by the modern educational system. If ancient science founded on inductive logic, modern science was based on deductive processes, he said.

“Both (approaches) are important and Indian science needs to integrate the inductive and deductive to rule the world,” he said.

Last edited:
Woh tho pehele bhi bik raha tha.

What you now have is skewed business models. All the money from the movies comes from the first weekend ticket sales with 1000s of prints in distribution simultaneously. They do not care about market feedback. Any crap makes money. But this is a very myopic view of doing business. It wont take long before they get called for what they are - THRASH. What was built up over decades would be destroyed in a few years.

This is not globalization, this is digestion. India losing out its culture to American culture.

If that is true then Bollywood wallas will correct themselves in a year or too.
The point is jo beekega sirf wahi deekhega.
In other words, market forces will decide whats hot and whats not :D
Not you or I.

Movies are not made according to past traditions, they are a reflection of their audience.
As our society has changed,so too have our movies.

India warns US of consequences on visa reform - The Times of India

The link you have posted has nothing to do with Indian culture, American culture or entertainment industry.
Its about Indian govt. asking, nay begging its American counterpart to let some companies take more Indian workers because they bring foreign exchange and and we kinda really really need it right now.
Not sure what its doing in this discussion.
I digress.

Not good =/= BAD

Can't we have both ?

Last edited:
Movies are not made according to past traditions, they are a reflection to their audience.
As our society has changed, our movies have changed too.

Movies are not news channels. To see reflections I watch News on TV and read on the internet. Movies are trend setters within a cultural context which Bollywood is massively failing at. No more do families go to see movies together like we did when growing up.

The link you have posted has nothing to do with Indian culture, American culture or entertainment industry.
Its about Indian govt. asking, nay begging American counterpart to let some companies take more Indian workers because they bring foreign exchange and and we kinda really really need it now.
Not sure what its doing in this discussion.I digress.

It is about your dreams of globalization. The doors are already shutting down.

Movies are not news channels. To see reflections I watch News on TV and read on the internet. Movies are trend setters within a cultural context which Bollywood is massively failing at. No more do families go to see movies together like we did when growing up.

It is about your dreams of globalization. The doors are already shutting down.

My dear troll, don't strain your brain :D worrying about me.My door is not going anywhere anytime.
On topic(ish)
You obviously have no idea about how globalization works and nor are you willingly to open your mind to new concepts.

So for the last time, movies reflect the society which watches them, not the other way around.

Last edited:
My dear troll, don't strain your brain worrying about me.My door is not going anywhere anytime.
On topic(ish)

Considering I have never heard you say anything worth listening to, that title suits you more aptly.

My door is not going anywhere anytime.

LOL. I care 2 hoots about your door. I was speaking about the general trend.

Back
Top Bottom