What's new

Aboriginal Races of Frontier prior to the Pashtun invasions

Hi can I ask you a question?
Yes. What is the question?

The Urdu speaking people of Pakistan and India has diverse roots.The Rohilla leader Daud Khan was awarded the Katehar (later called Rohilkhand) region in the then northern India by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb Alamgir (ruled 1658-1707) to suppress the Rajput uprisings, which had afflicted this region. Originally, some 20,000 soldiers from various Pashtun tribes (Yusafzai, Ghori, Ghilzai, Barech, Marwat, Durrani, Tareen, Kakar, Naghar, Afridi and Khattak) were hired by Mughals to provide soldiers to the Mughal armies. Their performance was appreciated by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb Alamgir, and an additional force of 25,000 Pashtuns were recruited from modern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Afghanistan and were given respected positions in Mughal Army. Nearly all of Pashtuns settled in the Katehar region and also brought their families from modern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Afghanistan. During Nadir Shah's invasion of northern India in 1739, the new wave of Pashtuns settled increasing their population to over 100,0000. Due to the large settlement of Rohilla Afghans, the Katehar region gained fame as Rohilkhand. Bareilly was made the capital of the Rohilkhand state and it became Pashtun majority city with Gali Nawaban as the main royal street. Other important cities were Moradabad, Rampur, Shahjahanpur, Badaun, and others. After the Third Battle of Panipat fought in 1761 between the Ahmad Shah Durrani and Maratha Empire thousands of Pashtun and Baloch soldiers settled in the northern India. These diverse ethnic, cultural and linguistic groups merged over the centuries to the form the Urdu speaking Muslims.

Muhajir people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You can not rely on wikipedia 100%. The fact is, the original article about Rohillas on Wikipedia was written by me in 2010, later many people have made changes to it. At that time i lacked sufficient knowledge about Rohillas. But now let me make some corrections .
1-Daud Khan was not employ of Aurangzeb, he was under the service of Hindu raja of Kumaon. He was father of founder of Rohilkhand, Muhammad Khan Rohilla. Daud Khan was killed by Raja when he tried to leave his service.
2- The first known Pashtun chiefs who were called Rohillas in India, were three Daudzai chiefs under the service of mughal emperor Shahjahan, they were sons of Bahadur khan who was soldier of mughal army during reign of jahangir. these three daudzai sardars were granted jagir in Katerhr which they named as Shahjahanpur. One of the brothers, diler khan became a general of mughal army of aurangzeb. These daudzais, not later yousafzais, were the ones who were given task by mughals of suppressing ranjputs of Rohilkhand. The later Rohillas of early 18th century were mostly mercenaries who were united under one flag by muhammad khan rohilla. Muhammad Khan Rohilla was first in the service of mughals but when he was granted a jagir, he started asserting his independence and invited all Afghan mercenaries in Doab to work for him for Afghan cause.

Last edited:
You can not rely on wikipedia 100%. The fact is, the original article about Rohillas on Wikipedia was written by me in 2010, later many people have made changes to it.

That is true. Currently Wikipedia pages relating to Islam and Pakistan are hijacked by the Qadiani mafia that have edited those pages to reflect them from Qadianism perspective.

The Urdu speaking people of Pakistan and India has diverse roots.The Rohilla leader Daud Khan was awarded the Katehar (later called Rohilkhand) region in the then northern India by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb Alamgir (ruled 1658-1707) to suppress the Rajput uprisings, which had afflicted this region. Originally, some 20,000 soldiers from various Pashtun tribes (Yusafzai, Ghori, Ghilzai, Barech, Marwat, Durrani, Tareen, Kakar, Naghar, Afridi and Khattak) were hired by Mughals to provide soldiers to the Mughal armies. Their performance was appreciated by Mughal emperor Aurangzeb Alamgir, and an additional force of 25,000 Pashtuns were recruited from modern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Afghanistan and were given respected positions in Mughal Army. Nearly all of Pashtuns settled in the Katehar region and also brought their families from modern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Afghanistan. During Nadir Shah's invasion of northern India in 1739, the new wave of Pashtuns settled increasing their population to over 100,0000. Due to the large settlement of Rohilla Afghans, the Katehar region gained fame as Rohilkhand. Bareilly was made the capital of the Rohilkhand state and it became Pashtun majority city with Gali Nawaban as the main royal street. Other important cities were Moradabad, Rampur, Shahjahanpur, Badaun, and others. After the Third Battle of Panipat fought in 1761 between the Ahmad Shah Durrani and Maratha Empire thousands of Pashtun and Baloch soldiers settled in the northern India. These diverse ethnic, cultural and linguistic groups merged over the centuries to the form the Urdu speaking Muslims.

Muhajir people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My own family belongs to Pashtun migrated to India about 200 years ago when they joined Mughal forces and after 1857 they settled in Bihar and then to East Pakistan.
Now its upto you to decide im lying or not.

@Samandri

Swatis who speak pashto are mostly fake pakhtuns? Or do they belong to proper pakhtun tribes? And hamsaya is basically ''kammi''? They speak pashto but are not considered pashtuns right?

@Samandri

Swatis who speak pashto are mostly fake pakhtuns? Or do they belong to proper pakhtun tribes? And hamsaya is basically ''kammi''? They speak pashto but are not considered pashtuns right?
I think fake wouldnt be proper word for swatis, they are pashtuns/pashto-speaking since centuries but it is theorized that they most probably have non-pashtun roots.....Turis of Parachinar and wardaks of Afghanistan are similarly described as tribes following and speaking pashto/pashtunwali, but were originally non-pashtuns.

Hamsaya is a broad term, even a pashtun can be a hamsaya.......the pashto equivalent of "kammi" would be "kamaya/kamasal" (means "kam-zaat"). "Hamsaya" would be a weak dependent group (Pashtun or non-pashtun) living under the protection of a tribe which owns the land in the region. Forxample Sikhs in khyber agency are hamsaya of Afridis. Every "kammi" is hamsaya but not every hamsaya is a kammi. Syeds are also hamsaya.

What is the story behind bihari 'khans', is there any truth to it?
By Khans you mean pathans?. I dont know man, Bihar used to be part of Afghan/Pashtun empires in 15th and 16th centuries. In 18th century we hear about Afghans/pathans of Bihar joining army of Aliverdi Khan of Bengal, later rebelling against him and joining maratha forces in invasion of Bengal. Unlike U.P, no new settlement of pashtuns took place in Bihar in 18th century, so pathans there would be baray-e-naam and few

UPiites and Biharis feel they are the real aryans. These people always brag the most about being North-Indians.

You have pashtun ancestry? Because even Hydrabadi muslims look very distinct from natives on average.

Because even Hydrabadi muslims look very distinct from natives on average.

(some) Hyderabadi muslims are from Yemeni tribes came as army men. Most of them still speak wow arabic language with no contamination of current jargons. I personally met some in UAE.

I think fake wouldnt be proper word for swatis, they are pashtuns/pashto-speaking since centuries but it is theorized that they most probably have non-pashtun roots.....Turis of Parachinar and wardaks of Afghanistan are similarly described as tribes following and speaking pashto/pashtunwali, but were originally non-pashtuns.

Hamsaya is a broad term, even a pashtun can be a hamsaya.......the pashto equivalent of "kammi" would be "kamaya/kamasal" (means "kam-zaat"). "Hamsaya" would be a weak dependent group (Pashtun or non-pashtun) living under the protection of a tribe which owns the land in the region. Forxample Sikhs in khyber agency are hamsaya of Afridis. Every "kammi" is hamsaya but not every hamsaya is a kammi. Syeds are also hamsaya.

Well recently i saw my friend's friend who is pashtun from Swat. He reminded me off Rahim Shah, later out turns out Rahim Shah is also from Swat.

You are most likely a fake Dalit claiming to be Arab or whatever. You said you are from Maharashtra anyway not Hyderbad.

But marathas themselves are dalits. I think mujahis is right, there are lots of muslims in Hydrabad with foreign ancestry.

No, some Maratha soldiers were shudra but rest are from landowning Maratha caste. I have seen Hyderbadis and have been there. They do not look like Arabs or Persians Lol

I am talking about only Hydrabadi muslims, many have foreign ancestry.

Back
Top Bottom