AAP Government's First Decisions: Cheaper Power, Free Water, Demolition Ban

The_Showstopper

Reaction score
Country
India

cm-kejriwal-with-new-ministers_650x400_41423924809.jpg

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and his cabinet

NEW DELHI: After insisting that it will not work to timeframes set by the media, the Aam Aadmi Party government in Delhi has jump-started its plan to slash electricity bills and provide free water.

After the first meeting of his cabinet on Monday, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal directed the finance and power departments to send their proposal on how to cut power tariffs by half.

The three-day-old government has also asked the Delhi Jal Board to work on distributing up to 20,000 litres free water a month to every home.

related_shadow.png
During its previous 49-day stint last year, the AAP-led government had announced a 50 per cent subsidy for up to 400 units of power consumed, which cut electricity bills by half. AAP also ordered an audit into the finances of three private power distribution companies in Delhi, alleging that they were overcharging consumers.

"Until that audit is completed, the government has asked for power tariffs to be cut," said a senior official.

It is not clear yet whether the government will compensate private power companies for the losses or ask them to bear the costs.

The new government also banned demolitions in Delhi, even though it does not own any land in the capital.

An official statement said the government wants to "take a holistic view on the policy of demolitions in residential areas and slums." The opposition BJP, however, said the order means nothing as the Delhi government has no control over land and the police.

Arvind Kejriwal, who was sworn in as the new Chief Minister of Delhi on Saturday, had during his campaign promised that his government would replace slums with permanent structures and not raze a single home.

AAP came to power after winning a landslide victory in the Delhi assembly polls. To execute its 70-point manifesto, the party has decided to bring in sector-specific experts who will work with the Chief Minister's Office.

On its first working day, AAP faced media anger over a ban on their entry to the Delhi Secretariat. Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia left the media centre after being bombarded with questions.

Well good initiative but the question is who is going to pay for it?? Neither electricity nor healthy drinking water comes for free. Coming to demolition of illegal construction, it is not the Delhi government's prerogative. As per Delhi high court orders any illegal construction after 2009 can be demolished any day.

Well good initiative but the question is who is going to pay for it?? Neither electricity nor healthy drinking water comes for free. Coming to demolition of illegal construction, it is not the Delhi government's prerogative. As per Delhi high court orders any illegal construction after 2009 can be demolished any day.

you are expecting too much they sold their brains on OLX to raise party funds bcz selfies , coffee with Mr Uturn were not helping .

Now they demolition of illegal buildings is banned expect more masjids to come up right in the middle of the road .

And who will pay this subsidy????? How is the govt going to raise fund for this subsidy??? Ask centre????
Right questions, needs answering but I don't think Centre would pay for that, AAP might have thought about how to raise funds. That is why I would prefer to wait n watch..

modi will pay

vaade yeh kare aur bill hum baare
Haan bhai aap hee ki toh jaagir hai, Modi ko uske dahej me mila tha ye paisa....

Right questions, needs answering but I don't think Centre would pay for that, AAP might have thought about how to raise funds. That is why I would prefer to wait n watch..

Was listening to one of the discussion where in it was mentioned that the subsidy provided during his short stint had to be paid by central govt and there was a huge debt........I dont think he has any such plans...... He is harping on the audit.....

It is going to be fun........ Expect lot more darnas and some how he will find a reason to resign (if he is not able to provide this subsidy)

do i need to say more what a liability this fool is to the national exchequer , the only good part of he being in national politics is that voters in india will learn a lesson or two on how subsidy politics can damage the economy .

do i need to say more what a liability this fool is to the national exchequer , the only good part of he being in national politics is that voters in india will learn a lesson or two on how subsidy politics can damage the economy .

One part of country is going away from subsidies (slowly and steadily)......And our man......
But let us not speculate...... Let us wait and see how is he going to do this.....

Haan bhai aap hee ki toh jaagir hai, Modi ko uske dahej me mila tha ye paisa....

tujhe modi phobia ho gaya :coffee: , what i meant to say is your drama queen will make unreasonable promises to delhi people & later seek help from central govt . Now from where the central govt get funds for this bullshit , hard earned money of tax payers across the country which should have been used for something better . And this even with delhi having one of the highest per capita incomes in the country . Tax payer ka paisa kisi ke baap ki jaagir nahin hain

Back
Top Bottom