What's new

A view of Hong Kong that will never see light in any Western Media

I guess they can experience their freedom working long hours in a Chinese takeout while their kids are beaten up by the many juveniles and thugs that roam British streets.

HK is only a great place to live if you are upper middle class to rich. Because of the way the British set up the place, as a hyper capitalist oligarchy, the poor have little social safety nets and live miserable lives and the cost of living is through the roof. Many mainland Chinese cities now have a much better quality of life and better infrastructure than Hong Kong nowadays which is a big source of resentment from HKers towards the Mainland.

you hit the spot bout council estate thugs. long hours in take away dead end job with low pay. it so true.

Brooklyn Chinatown was formerly 65% Italian and 30% Jewish. As these people moved to the suburbs, Chinese people (and others) bought their homes.

Oh don't say that! The Chinese here think people flocking to the suburbs is a myth or "they must be too poor to live in the city". :rolleyes1:

That distinct North/South description is the song the northerners I deal with repeatedly sing. The southerners on the other hand say absolutely nothing about it. Hey maybe if I pressed them hard they might call them "carpetbaggers". lol.

Well this is what pops into my mind when I think of Bensonhurst...Al Sharpton too.

led to some riots

30 years later it's mostly asian...interesting.
The southerners traded with SE Asia and the world by sea . They had to be business people. But the northerners were a land power. More stable and insulated. Almost two different countries.

Oh don't say that! The Chinese here think people flocking to the suburbs is a myth or "they must be too poor to live in the city". :rolleyes1:
Most Americans don’t want to live in cities. They rather have a quarter or half acre lot and a nice spread to call their own. Considering how the country’s being run can you blame us for wanting some peace and safety.

Back
Top Bottom