What's new

A U.S.-Pakistan Reset Just Got a Lot Harder

This is the worrying part. PDF if you think about is primarily a military centred forum and underlying that is the Pakistani nationalism. This is not Islam Defence or Desi Defence or Indian Defence or Asian Defence. But Pakistan Defence revolving around Pakistan Defence Forces. Thus this forum should attract a higher % of uber-nationalism. Yet even here Pakistani nationalism is weak.
Honestly mate, I can believe rest of your post but this ..... :rofl::rofl:

*1.4 billion people is lot of human beings. If you filter them, filter them again, filter them again, filter them again until you reach purification levels of 0.1% you end up with a extremely cherrypicked sample. This is the sample that Americans get to see in USA - that is the Indian-Americans. They then make assumptions about India based on that. Now we all know what India really is like. Even you do.

Bro it it far worst than you think. The biggest obstacle facing Pakistan now is the huge number of educated Pakistanis who want to destroy Pakistani nationalism and put the interests of non-Pakistanis above Pakistan. This threat is much bigger and insidiuos than india, america, Afghan terrorism, corruption etc. This is what is seriously holding back Pakistan from realizing our true potential.

Just last Saturday, an alleged Pakistani who seems to be fairly educated claimed that the only way forward for Pakistan is the "Ummah" and to form a deep alliance with our "bagladeshis brothers!"...........:disagree:................when I gave him ALL the reasons why this thinking was completely flawed and ridiculous, he started threatening to beat up me and my father......................:disagree:......................Take a look yourself bro:

Once you instill a deep sense of nationalism, patriotism, identity and a sense of duty, a nation and it's people start to improve, however slowly.

Last edited:
The same way a town in Pakistan probably has a Italian restaurant that serves a local mashup with Spaghetti and pan pizza.. while one in Karachi has everything gnocchi to flatbread probably named after a specific Italian region.
So your equating Calabria [region of Italy] with Pakistan [country] as region of India? Calabria is a tiny region with 3 million people. Pakistan is a COUNTRY of 220 million nearly as large as EU.

There are so many countries the size of Pakistan with no culinary influence in Europe. Uruguay, Norway, Finland, Venezuela or Kenya - the list is long.
I am sorry most of these countries you listed have populations less than Lahore.

Uruguay - 3 million
Norway - 5 million

Micheal Kugelman..

Who takes this guy seriously ? Read his twitter feeds , what a chutiya

Although i don't like "whatabout" type of replies, but in this particular case i couldn't stop myself, as i have just watched a reportage by Al Jazeera on aussie killings of innocent afghanis.
Watch at 19:30 min.

How these scumbags dare to be "enraged" when thier on country is on protest because of police brutality.

ust last Saturday, an alleged Pakistani who seems to be fairly educated claimed that the only way forward for Pakistan is the "Ummah" and to form a deep alliance with our "bagladeshis brothers!"...........:disagree:................when I gave him ALL the reasons why this thinking was completely flawed and ridiculous, he started threatening to beat up me and my father..
:laugh:

We are in Cold War era. USA is not going to play at front against Pakistan, whereas priming India and ISIS/Blackwater is being accelerated. We got the breather we needed during Trump's tenure and that was sufficient to shift to diplomacy instead of facing threats/pressure.

Red pill, as @The Eagle stated, has been taken. Blue pill binned.

Biggest issue is eliminating the internal snakes. US is likely to dish-out more money to these groups in coming time.

I sense a lot of resentment and anger towards usa .
those pakistan hoping for change in attitude
more neutral versus India
usa pressure on India 're Kashmir
more f16
sanction s on s400 deal on India
reduction in military cooperation with India
reduction in quad involvement

will be cutting their wrists

biden is now a Indian lover

no guys
he just sees India as a regional super power a nation of great potential and same values,and aspirations as usa
we complement each other

and yes we will.stop China
see the withdrawal.in ladakh

watch out for more multi billion dollar military deals coming with usa
Israel France and Russia
even Russia will be with India
we are bringing s400 home October
so talk of pakistan running to Russia is just
lashing out
Russia will.pour cold water

China is what you have and I don't see much else,happening in terms of alternative to usa
Don't forget to add some AMRAAMS in your list so next time you don't portray the image of a bewildered Basanti shamelessly telling the world what caused her miscarriage.

1613142819540.png

Bro it it far worst than you think. The biggest obstacle facing Pakistan now is the huge number of educated Pakistanis who want to destroy Pakistani nationalism and put the interests of non-Pakistanis above Pakistan. This threat is much bigger and insidiuos than india, america, Afghan terrorism, corruption etc. This is what is seriously holding back Pakistan from realizing our true potential.

Just last Saturday, an alleged Pakistani who seems to be fairly educated claimed that the only way forward for Pakistan is the "Ummah" and to form a deep alliance with our "bagladeshis brothers!"...........:disagree:................when I gave him ALL the reasons why this thinking was completely flawed and ridiculous, he started threatening to beat up me and my father......................:disagree:......................Take a look yourself bro:

Once you instill a deep sense of nationalism, patriotism, identity and a sense of duty, a nation and it's people start to improve, however slowly.
Don't forget to add some AMRAAMS in your list so next time you don't portray the image of a bewildered Basanti shamelessly telling the world what caused her miscarriage.

View attachment 715693

I notice your boasting about American equipment.
it's,not chinease missle
r u sure you want to leave usa to India
do you really have a choice I ask

Last edited:
Jusdge ruled that afia saddiqui will serve 85 years all we can do is condemned.

it's,not chinease missle

Chinese inferior copies which have the heads of the USAF worried.

The PL-15 is an extended-range active radar-guided AAM and, when in service, would be the most capable AAM in the PLAAF inventory. Significantly, in late 2015, it was identified as a weapon of concern by General Hawk Carlisle, then head of the United States Air Force (USAF) Air Combat Command.

You obviously know more than General Carlisle. :lol:

Even your airforce chief was talking about Chinese immoral actions helping Pakistan. He should be worried, as he knows the PL-15's will slam straight into your Rafale's. The 400km version is coming out soon, and it will be game over for your fighters.
The acquittal of Daniel Pearl’s abductors came at the worst possible time.
BY MICHAEL KUGELMAN

On Jan. 28, Pakistan’s Supreme Court ordered the acquittal of four men convicted of abducting and murdering the Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl. The ruling upheld a lower court decision in Sindh province last year—appealed by Pakistani government officials—that overturned the murder convictions, found them guilty of kidnapping charges only, and ordered their release because they had already served enough time on the less serious charge.

The Biden administration reacted strongly. White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said the United States was “outraged.” She described it as “an affront to terror victims everywhere.” Secretary of State Antony Blinken, in a lengthy written statement, said the United States was “deeply concerned.” Washington is particularly unhappy about the acquittal of Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, widely believed to be the mastermind of Pearl’s abduction and a longtime, card-carrying member of the Islamist terrorist elite.

There’s never a good time for convicted terrorists to be acquitted, but the ruling has spoiled a rare bright spot in an often-troubled U.S.-Pakistan relationship. U.S. President Joe Biden has been keen to cooperate with Pakistan to advance a floundering Afghan peace process, and Islamabad has called for a reset of the relationship that expands cooperation into non-security spaces. Both goals, but especially Islamabad’s, will now be harder to achieve.

Pakistani militants snatched Pearl in Karachi in January 2002. They held him captive for more than a week before decapitating him, slicing his body into 10 pieces, and burying his remains in a shallow grave. The sickening crime set terrible precedents. Journalists became a favorite abduction target for Islamist terrorists, and militants began producing execution videos like the one filmed by Pearl’s killers.

Pakistan’s Supreme Court ruling amplifies long-standing tension points in U.S. relations with Islamabad. One is Pakistan’s failure to keep terrorists who target the United States or its interests behind bars. The trial of Sheikh and his three co-conspirators, which ran from April to July 2002 and wasn’t open to the public, was a mess. According to the Pearl Project, a Georgetown University investigation published in 2011, the prosecution used false testimony to build a strong case for murder convictions, even though there was only sound evidence of the defendants’ roles in Pearl’s abduction. The Pearl Project’s research, based on reviews of legal documents and interviews with those involved in the case, concluded that Islamabad was embarrassed about Pearl’s execution and wanted to show it was tough on terrorism—at a time when it had just established a new, post-9/11 counterterrorism partnership with Washington.

Sheikh and the others were convicted of murder, with Sheikh sentenced to death and the others to life in prison. However, their lawyers, because of the Pearl Project’s findings of a flawed trial, later appealed. The appeals led to the recent acquittal rulings. Serious problems afflicted the trial—not just false testimony but also unqualified expert witnesses and intimidation that included the defendants and even their lawyer cursing and taunting the prosecution. Yet no effort was made to pursue a new trial. Pakistan’s constitution has a double jeopardy clause that prevents someone from being prosecuted for the same crime more than once.

None of those believed to be directly involved in, and present for, Pearl’s murder have been prosecuted—and that’s unlikely to change. Pearl’s autopsy was never entered into the court record. The Sindh court ruling falsely said his body was never found. Sheikh’s lawyer, remarkably, suggested last month that Pearl was alive.

Washington, however, deserves some blame too. In 2007, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the al Qaeda leader and 9/11 mastermind, confessed to personally having executed Pearl. Some U.S. investigators believe he’s right based on a forensic tool that compared the veins on the hands of Pearl’s killer (seen in the execution video) to those of Mohammed. However, Washington never sought to prosecute Mohammed for the Pearl execution because of concerns this would complicate his prosecution for 9/11 and because he confessed to Pearl’s execution after being waterboarded.

Pakistan’s Supreme Court ruling underscores another longtime U.S. concern about the country—its complex relationship with terrorists. Before the Pearl execution, Sheikh worked with two Pakistani militant groups: Jaish-e-Mohammed and Harkat-ul-Mujahideen—both supported by the Pakistani security establishment. It’s also notable that Sheikh instructed Pearl’s kidnappers to compose a ransom note that demanded a consignment of U.S. F-16 fighter jets. These potent aircraft—an unusual request from Islamist militants—have long been a top acquisition priority for the Pakistani military.

Sheikh has connections to the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Pakistan’s main intelligence agency. According to a Guardian report published soon after Sheikh’s conviction, Sheikh had links to two former senior ISI officials. One of them, Ijaz Shah, is the person to whom Sheikh first turned himself in—something later acknowledged by the ISI director at the time. (Shah is currently Pakistan’s minister for narcotics control.)

FBI investigators say he was in ISI custody for a week before being turned over to the police. While U.S. investigators cooperated closely with Pakistani counterparts on the Pearl case, Pakistan unsurprisingly balked at providing more information on the ISI’s role.

This past history prompts a question: Did someone influential within Pakistan’s security establishment pressure the courts to acquit its onetime asset? Given Pakistan’s genuine desire to strengthen relations with Washington in the Biden era and given the pressure it’s under from the Financial Action Task Force to crack down on terrorist networks (it holds its next plenary meeting later this month), it makes little sense for the country to try to facilitate Sheikh’s release, especially now. But some aggrieved U.S. officials may think differently. Additionally, Sheikh’s acquittal does give Islamabad a useful bargaining chip in future negotiations with the United States—over the restoration of suspended security assistance, perhaps, or its role in the Afghan peace process.

Despite the Supreme Court ruling, the Biden administration’s focus will remain the same: seek Pakistan’s assistance in the peace process in Afghanistan and press it to continue eliminating militant networks on its soil. However, there’s now a risk, at least in the near term, that Washington’s thinking about its relationship with Islamabad will be driven more by emotion than by rational policy considerations. It’s reminiscent of a particularly traumatic period in 2011 and 2012, when Osama Bin Laden was discovered in Pakistan and the Haqqani Network, a Taliban faction close to Islamabad, was staging attacks on U.S. targets in Afghanistan, including the U.S. Embassy in Kabul. These developments happened during the Obama presidency, and many, including Biden and other current senior officials who also served in the Obama administration, have vivid memories of them.

But the fallout of the decision will hit Islamabad even harder than Washington. In recent weeks, Pakistani officials have laid out a vision for a fresh start in bilateral ties that focuses less on Afghanistan, terrorism, and other security issues and more on economic and trade cooperation. They have also called on the Biden administration to balance its relations with Islamabad and New Delhi and to focus more on the Kashmir dispute and India’s oppressive policies there.

Even before the ruling, getting Washington to agree to the idea of a relationship redirect was going to be a hard sell. Officials aren’t opposed to greater commercial relations—bilateral trade volume set new records in recent years—but Afghanistan and counterterrorism remain the core issues for U.S. interests. Mainly because of shared concern about China, the U.S.-India partnership is set to deepen far more than a U.S.-Pakistan relationship, which is constrained by trust issues and the reality that China is Pakistan’s closest ally. This means the Biden administration, while likely to press India on human rights issues more than its predecessor, will go easy on New Delhi so as not to antagonize a government that Washington considers its best strategic bet in South Asia—and one highly sensitive to outside criticism.

Yet now, Islamabad’s ask has morphed from ambitious to practically impossible. The ruling injects fresh tensions into a relationship that has enjoyed relative stability over the last few years amid stepped-up cooperation on the Afghan peace process. And it ensures that the very security issues—especially terrorism—that Islamabad prefers to move away from will remain perched on the front burner of Washington’s policy priorities. A telling moment came on Jan. 29, the day after the ruling, when Blinken had an introductory call with his Pakistani counterpart, Shah Mahmood Qureshi. The official readouts couldn’t be more different. Islamabad’s was lengthy, conveyed a positive tone, and listed discussions on many issues, with the Pearl case mentioned only briefly toward the end. Washington’s was terser and largely revolved around Pearl, with Afghanistan and several other issues noted quickly at the end.

This isn’t to say there’s no hope. Washington appears to accept that the ruling was a court decision, not a government one. It has acknowledged Pakistani officials’ attempts, mainly through appeals, to keep Sheikh from being released. New paths for cooperation are still possible. The Biden administration’s emphasis on working bilaterally and multilaterally to tackle global challenges such as climate change and public health will find favor in Pakistan.

But the stain of the ruling won’t wash out anytime soon. Sheikh is reportedly now in a government safe house, forbidden from communicating with the outside or leaving the facility but permitted to receive family. Pakistani officials and Pearl’s family have requested a review of the Supreme Court judgment, and the apex court will weigh in later this month. But with the same justices on the review panel, chances of success are low. A failed appeal will likely prompt Pakistani officials, citing public safety risks, to keep him under indefinite house arrest. Washington has few legal options of its own; it has no extradition treaty with Pakistan.

No matter the final chapter of Sheikh’s legal saga, it has already charred a volatile U.S.-Pakistan relationship that always seems to be fighting fires—even when the smoke shows signs of clearing.

The US has plenty on its plate than to focus all efforts in resets, putting India on its shoulders etc. Who's going to work on bringing the country out of the pandemic, who's going to talk to a certain ex president's 90 million followers that the nation is not compromised and their government an enemy, who's going to solve rising homelessness, inequality etc.
I keep saying this to people, the days of massive US engagement around the world are over, and Biden's very luke warm words on many issues are clear evidence of this. You can't sell wars anymore to the US people, they want their lives to get better. They deserve this.
This wasn't just a Trump, but you'll see with the coming years just what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

it's,not chinease missle
A weapon or platform is only as good as the person operating it, can you do the same for Russian, French and Israeli systems, (Scoring own goal doesn't count ) :laugh:
Since you people live in a parallel universe so it's beyond your choice to understand and accept that both JF-17 armed with SD-10 are systematically replacing the American systems in PAF and it's already training with Rafale rippers.

As i said before, on Biden victory, I was amazed at the lack of strategic thinking and complete aloofness shown by Pakistanis, specially libturd crowd in Pakistan, , as if some Messiah just arrived after the long dark days! If Trump was a orange clown, bad for his country, he was still a useful idiot. Neither beneficial to Pakistan nor harmful. Who cares if he was screwing his country? Non of our business. Now you are dealing with the "selected" ones, the pets of American deep state. It will be long hard bumpy drive from now on.

I refuse to believe that releasing of a suspect was just unplanned event. Timing is very telling, right when Biden and co came into the power. Some subtle messaging is going about.

For yanks, fear the day when Pakistan itself start seeing you from the prism of Afghanistan only, setting aside the geo-economics agenda its trying to purse with American led west.

Back
Top Bottom