RETIRED THINK TANK
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In Honor of the Brave

In Honor of the Brave

A Tribute to Maj. Gen. Amir Faisal Alavi

By Maj Gen. (retd) Syed Ali Hamid, Islamabad

This is not an obituary. It is to honor a brother officer and one of the outstanding shaheeds of the Pakistan Army. Maj. Gen. Amir Faisal Alavi was not slain on the battlefield neither was he in service when died but in this war on terror that the nation is fighting, there is no battlefront and soldiers and civilians all are fighting it daily; at risk in traveling to their work places, in the bazaars and on the roads. Gen. Alavi embraced shahadat just a kilometer from his home, one early morning on his way to office and fully conscious of the threat that confronted him each day. But Gen. Alavi was not the sort of person or soldier who could be intimidated.

I was a young Squadron Commander when Alavi joined our regiment and it was obvious from those initial days of his career that he was a very different breed. We all played sports with our soldiers like hockey and basketball but Alavi was one of the few who challenged them in Kabaddi, a game that was traditionally soldiers only. Dark by complexion but extremely well built and muscular, he was an intimidating sight in the arena and earned the nickname of 'Gorilla'. Those were the days of the boxer Mohammad Ali and his famous bout in the Philippines. So, along with 'Gorilla', Alavi was awarded the acronym of 'Thriller in Manila'.

Alavi was an extrovert and got along extremely well with all of us. He was confident but willing to learn, strong but gentle and with energy that infected those around him. He was extremely frank with the soldiers but always commanded respect through the qualities of leadership that he naturally inherited from a good upbringing. In spite of his strong personality Alavi was a good team member fitting in both with officers and soldiers alike.

It was fortunate for Alavi to have been commissioned in the Armored Corps. Because the close relationship that is bred between officers and soldiers in this Corps; it provided a strong foundation for him to be such a successful officer in Pakistan's elite Special Services Group. I didnot see much of Gen. Alavi for the next few years as he transferred to SSG and I went off on staff and courses, but we met up again in the Staff College, Quetta; I as an instructor, and he as a student. For the first time I became aware that there was a lot more to him that muscle and brawn. He did well on the staff course as also in his tenure as a Brigade Major and subsequent command of a tank regiment which I had commanded earlier. Those who served in the regiment under Alavi's command to this day we speak of him with fondness and respect. At regimental reunions I recollect Alavi surrounded by serving and veteran soldiers, sharing banter and recounting past experiences and episodes. What the rank and file greatly admired in Alavi was his quality to lead from the front, something which he carried with him right through his service up to his command of the SSG.

Gen. Alavi was not just a good field officer; he was also strong in theory. He not only graduated from the National Defense College in Pakistan but also graduated from National Defense University at Beijing. There were occasions that we discussed operational aspects and I found his views were a good balance between theory and practice. It was a period that a larger role was being considered for the SSG and Alavi's promotion to General Officer to command this fledging formation was an obvious and natural choice. The circumstances of his dismissal from the service cannot detract from the fact that the Gen. Alavi had a most successful and enviable command and led the SSG through one of its challenging periods, both operationally and organizationally. It was his personal example asking no more from his men than what he himself was willing and to be able to face. In the early days of the Waziristan Operation, he was frequently under direct fire and was instrumental in eliminating a number of militants. Unfortunately this made him an assassin's target.

His tragic death was overshadowed by a wave of speculations and theories. But as this wave crested and disappeared into oblivion what reappeared at the surface like a jewel from the sea was the Alavi we knew - strong of heart, a kindred soul, a soldiers General.

I would conclude this ode to a brother officer with an extract from a tribute on Gen. Alavi written by Brig. Samson Simon Sharaf, who was his contemporary and probably knew better than I did. He says, “It is the destiny of every professional soldier to lie in wait for a day that may never come and yet be prepared if it does even at the peril of his life. Soldiering for me and my friends like Alavi spans those romantic expanses of military life through all its peaks and valleys, which none other than soldiers grasp; and always leading towards a horizon of ideals that no other profession can rival.

I consider it a privilege to have known this officer. May his soul rest in peace and may the Almighty give courage to his family. He giveth and He taketh away.

Xeric,

This is fairly old. I think it came out last year.

I met General Alavi couple of years ago in one of my colleague’s office (He is a retired Brig.) The guy had a booming voice and extremely jovial and had straight forward mannerism about him. We talked as if we knew each other for a long time. He did not need to but as I was a friend of his friend, including me in the "Old Army" day’s conversation, came naturally to him.
Even though I met him for an hour or so-- he left a long lasting impression on me.
It was sad to her about his Shahadat, May Allah bless his soul! Ameen.

Yep quite old article, but i hope it wasnt a re-post?

You better come up with proofs or keep your gutter shut!

Womanizing may be debatable (though this wouldnt mean its true), but what's the obsession with Lal Masjid?

How many more attacks and martyrs do you need before you are convinced that these extremist scumbags are the last thing we need not only in Pakistan but the world over!

It would do a lot of good checking on facts before posting sherdil. By the time Lal Masjid operation happened, Maj Gen Alvi had already left the Army. Maj Gen Tahir Mahmood supervised that operation along with then Commander X Corps. Since one fallacy has been identified, do you think it makes sense to drag the reputation of a very good officer through the mud by flinging charges of womanizing on someone you do not even know personally and just on the basis of hearsay you publicize them?

There was no massacre at LM. It was a fight put up by those holed up and armed inside of a sacred masjid and school. They could have walked out and carried on with their work of forbidding the bad and encouraging the good. Yet they chose to challenge the government of the day creating a bigger fitna and dividing the Muslims.

As to his illicit affair, since I do not know anything about it I can't say anything. Professionally, he was an above average officer which is what I care about (for as long as his private affairs remain his and do not cause problems for his command - and they did not).

He wrote a letter to Gen Kiyani openly asking and challenging his opponents to a C of I. Had he played some mischief he shouldnt had asked the sitting COAS to open the pandora box again which could get him more disgrace.

He was a fearless general and a through professional and his entire carrier supports this.

i think people in doubt needs to read his letter. i am sure the letter would clear the dust and show a lucid picture to his character.

whoever you are, your comments stink of your jealousy. amir faisal alvi was a jewel in Pak Army's crown. A thoroughly professional soldier, a gentleman by any definition of the word, a man with the kindest of hearts. i can write pages n pages for him, i can recount numerous examples of his chivalry, of his kindness, of his leadership, but for the pain it brings along. this country n this army were unfortunate to have under utilized him in the first place and then lose him forever. the nations who don't acknowledge their heroes remain in the mess we find ourselves in.

1) Shame on you for making this story up. 2) Lal masjid terrorists needed to be taken care of.

The dude is just disillusioned.

He initially accused without proof and now he is going back on his words.

Last edited:
Well said. I am hoping against hope that the idiot inside of you will soon let that seal open.

Since you are so informed about Islam, I would like you to enlighten me on tuhmat.

Don't you think that you have just committed the sin of tuhmat baazi?

You have no eye witnesses and you have no other evidence about Maj. Gen. Alavi's affair with a lady so is this not a false accusation?

Did Maj. Gen. Alavi or that lady told you about their relationship?

The easiest thing is to criticize someone else and the hardest thing is to criticize one's own character. Please think about all the gheebat, lies and other things which you have committed before judging someone else.

Maj. Gen. Alavi was a great officer and may Allah accept his shahadat and bless his soul.

try to learn what is a fact and what is an allegation.

Back
Top Bottom