What's new

A Statue for A Pakistani Punjabi Hero.....Porus

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did Porus become Pakistani? There was no Pakistan back then. The Greeks referred to him as a king in "India" (and it is because of the Greeks that we get the modern day name).

first of all his name was purushottama shortened as puru the king of paurava and second he must be crying where ever he is for being called as pakistani ::tdown:

Maharaja Ranjit Singh was the only king of punjab who gave great respect to punjabi muslam before that all rulers like mughals afghans and arab don't give a damn to punjabi muslam all my pakaistani friends including those who claim to be direct generation of Porus and manga name me a single punjabi muslam who got a powerful administrator post under mughals afghans and arab rulers

are punjabi muslims above other types of muslims??? because all i know is that moghul emprors give alot of privileges to non muslims example AKbar. & if you disagree then please understand that till date hindus outnumber muslims in india for a reason. the moghul rulers didnot carry out any genocide!

as for mahraja ranjit singh well let's just put it this way he is forgotten to Pakistan history & world history but men like AKbar live on!

Contrary to that claim of OP I came to know rather recognizing Porus a hindu King as son of the land, Pakistani govt. made monument for Alexander.

Pakistani paradoxes amaze me. You guys think good, believe in good, want to do good, but still can not do good.

You indians dont have any claim over him. Only people in india who can have a claim over him are Sikhs. Why do the rest of you indians try to take pride in Punjabi history or try to claim Punjabi history as your own.
We Punjabis dont try to claim marathi, bengali, south indian, gujrati, ect. history.

Please take pride in your own ethnicity and history. If you feel you dont have anything to be proud of, then dont try to claim other's history as your own for god's sake.

Wow, thank you very much for this comment brother

You make me proud to be a PUNJABI

We decided to institute a local langar for the poor in the name of these two legendary warriors - my ancestor though not Muslim - was fiercely proud of his local culture and area, I think he would be proud that we had achieved Pakistan.

67.jpg

And Porous was a Pakistani is also the big Joke.

And what should he be? an African? or perhaps an alien from the Andromedea galaxy. The man was born and ruled a kingdom which lies within the borders of modern day's Pakistan, which in turn makes him a son of the soil. You can close your eyes and wish as hard as you could, but the reality wouldn't change now would it?

I think he would be proud that we had achieved Pakistan.

Looking at the recent and past history, policies and present state of affairs, I seriously doubt that!

But, yes, Langar is a very good idea.

You indians dont have any claim over him. Only people in india who can have a claim over him are Sikhs. Why do the rest of you indians try to take pride in Punjabi history or try to claim Punjabi history as your own.

We Punjabis dont try to claim marathi, bengali, south indian, gujrati, ect. history.

Please take pride in your own ethnicity and history. If you feel you dont have anything to be proud of, then dont try to claim other's history as your own for god's sake.

This is the thing. You see ethnicity as the most important thing in a person's identity. We see nationality. That is the entire foundation for the concept of India. I'm an Indian first and a Marathi second (btw it's interesting that you capitalized Punjabi but didn't capitalize anything else). Thus, all Indian history is my history.

And what should he be? an African? or perhaps an alien from the Andromedea galaxy. The man was born and ruled a kingdom which lies within the borders of modern day's Pakistan, which in turn makes him a son of the soil. You can close your eyes and wish as hard as you could, but the reality wouldn't change now would it?

Modern day Pakistan is just that. His kingdom lied within what was considered India at the time. The Islamic Republic of Pakistan did not exist at that time. In contrast, the region of India, which was ruled by secular governments, did exist at the time.

looool! You can't have both Mohammad Bin Qasim and Porus both as your hero. If Mohammad Bin Qasim is your hero, Porus simply can't be. A guy fearlessly and fiercely fought with Alexander the great's mammoth army. Do you think some Mohmmad Bin Qasim could have beat him? and there's no way a proud king like Porus would have ever let his people convert. :P

Our indian friends are showing their insecurities, Porus was a Pakistani king, because his people and his state are within the geo-graphical borders of Pakistan, and his and his troops descendants live in Pakistan.

France was known as Gaul in antiquity but the great warrior Vercingetorix is rightly admired by the modern French.

France_Vercingetorix.jpg

170px-Vercing%C3%A9torix_Al%C3%A9sia.jpg

What Indians are failing to realize is, that it is called the Indian Sub-continent for a reason.

It was not one big piece of pie. There were different factions, different empires, and thus the different people, languages, and culture.

This is the thing. You see ethnicity as the most important thing in a person's identity. We see nationality. That is the entire foundation for the concept of India. I'm an Indian first and a Marathi second (btw it's interesting that you capitalized Punjabi but didn't capitalize anything else). Thus, all Indian history is my history.

Modern day Pakistan is just that. His kingdom lied within what was considered India at the time. The Islamic Republic of Pakistan did not exist at that time. In contrast, the region of India, which was ruled by secular governments, did exist at the time.

Let me address this using an analogy. The legacy of Alexander is claimed by both the modern day Greeks and Macedonians. However, In that age, both Macedonians and Greeks were "ethnically Greeks". Ancient Greece was not one kingdom, on the contrary, it was split into many different kingdoms, Macedonia, Sparta, Athens, Mycenae, Rhodes, Thrace etc etc. So the peoples of these kingdoms were called Macedonians, Athenians, Spartans, Rhodions etc. However, they were all ETHNICALLY Greek, not members of seperate races. They ALL spoke dialects of the same Hellenic language(kione, sthenian, carian etc) and used the same written script. So Alexander was Macedonion by nationality, Greek by ethnicity. So, do you see a pattern emerging? People on both sides of the mighty Punjab are ethnically the same people and speak pretty much the same language (Punjabi) Porus was ethnically an Indian, as are many in today's Pakistan, however the point to focus here is that since he was king of a land which lies in Pakistan's side of Punjab, that would make him a Pakistani by default.

What Indians are failing to realize is, that is called the Indian Sub-continent for a reason.

It was not one big piece of pie. There were different factions, different empires, and thus the different people, languages, and culture.

100% right, there is no mono-culture in South Asia, I have been to india, and been to different parts of the country, a Maratha or a Tamil though perfectly nice people - had nothing in common with me a Pakistani Punjabi, whereas in indian Punjab I was made welcome like a long lost brother, it is not that the indian Punjabi's were nice and the Tamil people were not, it was that there was a similar culture in Punjab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom