What's new

A Pakistani

mujahideen

Reaction score
Most dangerous nation

IT is disturbing enough to hear Pakistan being called the ‘most dangerous nation’, particularly by the Americans, and becomes truly painful to see their presidential candidates, such as Hillary Clinton and Joseph Biden, say the same.

One wonders how knowledgeable they are about Pakistanis. Due to being a Pakistani I can claim to comprehended my compatriots more and, having had friends from many parts of the Islamic world, I do have a greater insight into the minds of my 1.5 billion co-religionists.

Besides, I can profess to understand the Americans far better than either of these presidential hopefuls do the Pakistanis. This is because I not only got part of my education in the US, having studied with and befriended American boys/men and girls/women, but their country has been like a second home to me.

In contrast, Ms Clinton has spent just a few days here and Mr Biden perhaps none. My list of buddies has included Buddhists, Christians, Confucianists, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs and Zoroastrians. So, the aspirants to the White House and others of the same mind ought to listen carefully.

What makes a nation dangerous? Is it merely the perception of what harm it may cause under certain circumstances or, would it be more reasonable to go by how many people a country has already killed, caused to be killed, or is still in the process of doing so? How many persons have been made homeless; how much conflict and disquiet it has imposed upon the world at large; how much turmoil and polarisation?

Pakistan is responsible for taking or losing a couple of thousand lives in the wars with India. But, the US had killed hundreds of thousands in Japan, including over 200,000 through the only atomic bombs ever used, that, too, on innocent civilians. In Vietnam three million were slain and an equal number made sick or permanently handicapped by the use of the Agent Orange.

In Iraq, sanctions following the first Gulf War took the lives of half a million children and now its losses are over 600,000 dead with several million turned into refugees, but there was no terrorism or sectarian strife before. Shockingly, America has been invading some place or the other after an average of 30 months! It is intriguing how most Americans are likeable but their governments act so callously.

Israel is the next most dangerous nation, having set the Middle East on fire and the global Muslim community aflame, severely straining relations between the latter and the West. In the summer of 2006 it had destroyed almost half of Lebanon due to a few Israeli soldiers captured by Hezbollah whilst scores of Lebanese captives were already in Tel Aviv’s custody who were supposed to have been released earlier. One recent inhumanity is that 49 Palestinians in need of urgent medical attention have died since June because Israel did not allow them to leave Gaza.

These aren’t assessments of Muslims alone but of most Europeans too, as surveys have shown. I have nothing against the Americans or Jews. In the US I had a Jewish landlord who had been almost as kind to me as he would have been to a family member, while from day one I used to respect him and help him out as I would my uncle, because my upbringing had taught me to defer to elders regardless of their religion. Even my dad had Jewish and other non-Muslim friends whom we all treated very nicely.

The threat perception about Pakistan has been magnified greatly. In my US stay I had encountered several Jews who would clench their jaws and breathe heavily as far back as the 1980s on finding out I was a Pakistani. Once, I have participated in seminars in Europe in the early 1980s where an Israeli attendee didn’t seem to even want to speak to me and, frankly, I also felt put off by him. In contrast, I had developed very good terms with the other participants, company officials and secretaries.

Most Pakistanis are brought up to be hospitable and helpful. An extremist minority should not be used to stereotype all. American leaders and politicians must remember that Pakistanis have been amongst their best friends. Some fair-minded Americans have acknowledged that the USSR could not have been defeated without Pakistan’s help.

A READER
Karachi

DAWN - Letters; January 24, 2008

I was just readin a letter in Dawn. I thought it is very interesting. It challenges some of the rumors spread about Pakistan.

These people are unreal and make things alot more bigger and worse in the world's eyes they never look at wats really going on in there own contries!!

These people are unreal and make things alot more bigger and worse in the world's eyes they never look at wats really going on in there own contries!!

We must blame our own media. Foreigners get most of the news from our media and columnists. Just read Pakistani news papers and watch TV news. IT appears that there is no atta, no suger, no CNG, no electricity and there are bombs being exploded and insurgents fighting every where.

All the Jang columnists make out that the country is about to break up. Politicians are crying blue murder about pre-poll rigging and elections havent even taken place.

Pray tell me what would a foreigner think about Pakistan under these circumstances.

It is a misconception that gagging the media would stop the projection of the wrong image of a country. In fact, it would do just the opposite. The stories against Communist countries and their repressive ways are now ingrained in the mind of the world since one learnt very little of the realities of their country, warts and all, and instead banked on possibly motivated news given in the media of their adversaries.

That there have been shortages in Pakistan is a lie? It has been felt by the people of Pakistan. Would it not be better that the truth is told? I was also under the impression that Pakistan is up a gum tree till I heard General Musharraf on BBC’s Hard Talk. He said that there was a shortage in wheat because it was being smuggled out as wheat prices are the cheapest in the world. That sure can be the real reason and this explanation does clear the cobwebs.

Likewise on the electricity shortage, he quoted a whole lot of statistics about industries mushrooming because of the industrial policy and he agreed that the demand could not keep pace with the supply. Anyone, in his senses, would understand.

Therefore, gagging of the media is the most dangerous thing that can be done to sully the image of a country.

And no country is perfect.

We are so aware of the US but not so about our countries. Why? Because their press is so active on issues of governance, while our media is only interested in sensational news and nothing more!

We love gossip and run away from real life!

We cant blame our media.If the tv or our news paper are telling the people what is happening,so is this a bad thing?The people should know the truth and if the media is saying that there is shortage of wheat,sugar etc.its true,they are not making it up.Our media is doing a good job.We should appreciate it.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom