What's new

A new dawn for Japan and Philippines: Japan requests access to military bases in the Philippines

What is happening, my friend, is that Japan is building up its regional alliances and security partnerships. We are building security apparatus with the Philippines, Indonesia, Viet Nam, Australia, New Zealand, India. Not including Japan's global alliance with the United States and NATO.

Japan is deploying its forces , and has been deployed in some parts of the world for quite sime time. For example, Japan has a forward permanent military base in Djibouti , Africa. When the Philippine Senate ratifies Japanese request to access to military bases in the Philippines -- that means that the JSDF's branches --- the JGSDF, JASDF, JMSDF will have access to the military bases in Philippines --- the icing on the cake is Subic Naval Base -- which is a deep sea port and can even house our carriers, or destroyers.

A multi polar world, yes? Japan is working on that said multipolar axis.

A healthy development.

Why do I feel like I'm interviewing the president, no straight answers on anything. Let's forget about military bases. Let's forget all of that. Japan can access any ports when ever, Japan's right next to China anyways, it's not like without the ports Japanese navy cannot operate, so this event isn't a big deal.

The real question is would Japan accommodate China's growing status? I think not. There's multiple reasons on why that maybe, but all signs points to no.

"We have to show China that it doesn't own the sea," said the Japanese source.

Japan to seek access to PH military bases? | ABS-CBN News

Exactly!
Chinese can not base on a map of "11 dash line" that drawn arbitrarily by Chiang kai-shek in 1947 to claim whole SCS like as their territory.
The maps of China before 1947 never claim the same.

chu-dinh-phuc-3.jpg

A map of China (1911-1949)

Exactly!
Chinese can not base on a map of "11 dash line" that drawn arbitrarily by Chiang kai-shek in 1947 to claim whole SCS like as their territory.

chu-dinh-phuc-3.jpg

The Chinese are in violation of Japan and China's 1978 Treaty of Peace and Friendship. The treaty ESPECIALLY stipulates that China would not enact policies that are tantamount to hegemony. The claiming of Senkakus, as well as claiming of the entire South China Sea is the thesis of acts of hegemony.

Clearly we have to adjudicate against that. The SCS must remain open for international ships and shipping. The freedom of navigation must be maintained without any power inhibiting the rights of others who have natural interests here.

Exactly!

chu-dinh-phuc-3.jpg

ok you win, we will vacate all of SCS to you, give us a date for you guys to take over. I bow to this map posted on a internet forum.

Clearly we have to adjudicate against that. The SCS must remain open for international ships and shipping. The freedom of navigation must be maintained without any power inhibiting the rights of others who have natural interests here.

You specifically mentioned ships and shipping. Tell me, who's the biggest trade nation on earth, Japan or China, who would lose more if shipping isn't open and who claims to be able to blockade the other China or the US led alliance.

Why do I feel like I'm interviewing the president, no straight answers on anything. Let's forget about military bases. Let's forget all of that. Japan can access any ports when ever, Japan's right next to China anyways, it's not like without the ports Japanese navy cannot operate, so this event isn't a big deal.

The real question is would Japan accommodate China's growing status? I think not. There's multiple reasons on why that maybe, but all signs points to no.

Japan already accomodates China's growing status. Japan recognizes that there is a dispute in the Senkakus with China, yes? Japan and China have established an emergency hotline for direct military to military contact that enables our respective militaries to reduce tension / enact damage control. Japan has made concessions to Chinese corporate laws, Japan has made concessions in IP rights with China, Japan has accomodated China's request in not interfering in Taiwan politics or even does not have military contacts with Taiwan, as per Chinese (Beijing) requests.

At the same time, China has to learn to accomodate Japanese interests. Japan has , a large investment in the Philippines, which is home to over 150,000 Japanese nationals, and home to thousands of Japanese businesses and investments. So it is not unnatural for Japan to have in mind for the security and stability of the Philippines.

You specifically mentioned ships and shipping. Tell me, who's the biggest trade nation on earth, Japan or China, who would lose more if shipping isn't open and who claims to be able to blockade the other China or the US led alliance.

The Philippines will train with the Japanese on a new exercise that they have not been accustomed to before, but Japan has had extensive experience in this --- which is UEE --- Unplanned Encounters Exercise. This will enable the Philippine Navy to react accordingly in congruence to threat level. This unfortunate lack in UE capacity was the reason why the PN sent the Gregorio Del Pilar in 2012, causing an unfortunate naval row. What the Philippines is learning, slowly and progressively, is how to respond to foreign trespass through channeling the appropriate branches of the military to conduct interdiction activities. They are now learning to implement the use of the PCG (Philippine Coast Guard) for such interdictions.

And the Philippines is set to receive 10 new Coast Guard Ships , btw. All will be built by Japan. :)

Freedom of navigation is for all countries, not necessarily who is the biggest trade through SCS.....

Genesis, there should be no heirarchy of importance. Every nation should have access through the SCS , irrespective of the size of their economy, military, demography. You know what i mean? For example, just because the Cambodians have one of the smallest economies in ASEAN doesn't necessarily mean they have less right to access the SCS than say Malaysia, which is one of the larger economies in the ASEAN. All countries should have equal access -- be it Indonesia, China, Malaysia, Burma, Cambodia, Japan, Philippines, et cetera et cetera et cetera...

Just add imperial to the maritime defense force hence Imperial Maritime Defense force nice ring to it.

There is no congruence in your bringing up historical travesties. Japan and Philippines have a robust and transformational relationship that is inclusive in all parameters -- political, economic, environmental, cultural, defense. Japan and Philippines have transcended historical mistakes. This is what makes our partnership truly amazing.

:)

Japan and the Philippines don't have a partnership or historical friendship. You're using each other. If Japan has been in any way responsible for the Philippines' economic development, you've honestly done a terrible job.

This is the worst thing I've ever heard, I hate you

Back
Top Bottom