What's new

A new dawn for Japan and Philippines: Japan requests access to military bases in the Philippines

Bitter bitter and we do we had trade with Japan as far as 15 century you just shut your trap if you have no idea what your talking about.

Last edited:
Japan and the Philippines don't have a partnership or historical friendship. You're using each other. If Japan has been in any way responsible for the Philippines' economic development, you've honestly done a terrible job.

Phl economy remains the ‘exception’ – IMF | Business, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

The Philippines will continue to be the “exception” in Asia and in the world as its economy is expected to continue its upward growth momentum, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) said.

“We see falling potential growth in the world and in Asia in general, but the Philippines is an outlier,” IMF resident representative Shanaka Jayanath Peiris said in a briefing yesterday.

Bitter bitter and we do we had trade with Japan as far as 15 century you just shut your trap if you have no idea what your taking about.

Uh be careful making reference to ancient trading history as if what I have read is correct (along with the porcelain I saw in a museum back in 2011), we have been trading with everyone... including China. :o::o:

They could hit us back using the history... :o::o:

Freedom of navigation is for all countries, not necessarily who is the biggest trade through SCS.....
Genesis, there should be no heirarchy of importance. Every nation should have access through the SCS , irrespective of the size of their economy, military, demography. You know what i mean? For example, just because the Cambodians have one of the smallest economies in ASEAN doesn't necessarily mean they have less right to access the SCS than say Malaysia, which is one of the larger economies in the ASEAN. All countries should have equal access -- be it Indonesia, China, Malaysia, Burma, Cambodia, Japan, Philippines, et cetera et cetera et cetera...

All countries should have freedom of navigation. HOWEVER, you did claim " The SCS must remain open for international ships and shipping." I am simply saying China is the biggest trading nation in the world, we wouldn't want to close shipping lanes.

Second, it is always the Americans that threaten to cut off OUR trade routes. Tell me I'm lying.

So your worries are unfounded and if something of the magnitude were to happen, it would be from an American's hands. America is one of the few that actually sanction countries, we as always, don't.

The Philippines will train with the Japanese on a new exercise that they have not been accustomed to before, but Japan has had extensive experience in this --- which is UEE --- Unplanned Encounters Exercise. This will enable the Philippine Navy to react accordingly in congruence to threat level. This unfortunate lack in UE capacity was the reason why the PN sent the Gregorio Del Pilar in 2012, causing an unfortunate naval row. What the Philippines is learning, slowly and progressively, is how to respond to foreign trespass through channeling the appropriate branches of the military to conduct interdiction activities. They are now learning to implement the use of the PCG (Philippine Coast Guard) for such interdictions.

And the Philippines is set to receive 10 new Coast Guard Ships , btw. All will be built by Japan. :)
ok

Japan already accomodates China's growing status. Japan recognizes that there is a dispute in the Senkakus with China, yes? Japan and China have established an emergency hotline for direct military to military contact that enables our respective militaries to reduce tension / enact damage control. Japan has made concessions to Chinese corporate laws, Japan has made concessions in IP rights with China, Japan has accomodated China's request in not interfering in Taiwan politics or even does not have military contacts with Taiwan, as per Chinese (Beijing) requests.

At the same time, China has to learn to accomodate Japanese interests. Japan has , a large investment in the Philippines, which is home to over 150,000 Japanese nationals, and home to thousands of Japanese businesses and investments. So it is not unnatural for Japan to have in mind for the security and stability of the Philippines.

Japan did not recognize the dispute. Emergency hot line, is just a hot line, it's connected both sides, I'm sure if you call, we will pick up. Chinese investment in the US is huge, in Japan it is minuscule, and it is not because Japan is too open for investments. Taiwan is internal politics of China, thank you for not interfering in our own affairs.

Japan refuse to negotiate with China on Diaoyu, even if the islands are to remain in Japan, the Japanese ADIZ extends all the way to the coast, ADB has essentially no Chinese voice, refusing to join AIIB and more.

I'm not voicing complains here, my main problem isn't with Japan anyways. What I am saying is let's not pretend Japan doesn't need change. China has faults in this too, obviously.

Compare to Ethiopia's 10% growth, or Mongolia's 13%+, the Philippines is sucking hard.

lol, no comparison between the Philippines with Ethiopia and Mongolia, lol.

For one, the Philippines' GDP is growing at more or less around 7% per year. Their GDP stands at $284 Billion.

Ethiopia's GDP is $51 Billion, Mongolia's GDP is $11 Billion. lol.

The Philippines' economy is roughly 5 times the size of Ehthiopia+Mongolia combined. lol.

Uh be careful making reference to ancient trading history as if what I have read is correct (along with the porcelain I saw in a museum back in 2011), we have been trading with everyone... including China. :o::o:

They could hit us back using the history... :o::o:

ya i Know we had trade with everyone but the fact the this bitter SOB says we have no links with Japan is stupid in its self we have trade, cultural links with everyone but Japan helps us with our metal works and farming, paper making etc especially metal works and coinage while china gave us paper and a few words like ate etc and porcelain other goods while the majapahit emipre gave us other cultral importance like government structure, arts, education and firearms and weapons like kris, and lantakas filipino cannons etc so basicly we filipinos were inrich of outside influence along with our native culture like god system, our one with nature belief of the elements,indigenous medicines our maritime culture etc so while having our own culture we exchange and became inrich with the cultures of other people have contact with.

And i doubt they know history most here are just your typical middle chinese troll drones who have only patriotic education to use not real education really just propaganda.

For one, the Philippines' GDP is growing at more or less around 7% per year. Their GDP stands at $284 Billion.

The Philippines' economy is roughly 5 times the size of Ehthiopia+Mongolia combined. lol.

Because again pare this people only have thier patriotic education

But our constitution has a restrictive policy that prevents fully tapping our economic potential.

Very true, the Philippines does have a protectionist policy, but even with that --- the country is one of the fastest growing economy in ASEAN, and Asia or the world at that. The Philippines' has a rapidly improving infrastructure, with a fast growing industrial arm, plus IT sector , microprocessor sector. With rising service sector --- in education, human resources and supply chain QA strengths.

Give it 1-2 decades and the Philippines will surpass Thailand and Malaysia. :)

ya i Know we had trade with everyone but the fact the this bitter SOB says we have no links with Japan is stupid in its self we have trade, cultural links with everyone but Japan helps us with our metal works and farming, paper making etc especially metal works and coinage while china gave us paper and a few words like ate etc and porcelain other goods while the majapahit emipre gave us other cultral importance like government structure, arts, education and firearms and weapons like kris, and lantakas filipino cannons etc so basicly we filipinos were inrich of outside influence along with our native culture like god system, our one with nature belief of the elements,indigenous medicines our maritime culture etc so while having our own culture we exchange and became inrich with the cultures of other people have contact with.

Absolutely. The Philippines , or it was once known as 'Maharlika' , was at the crossroads of trade between Japan and Spice Islands of Java, Sumatra, Borneo, Celebes, Sulawesi. There was extensive trade relations between Nihon and Maharlika that extends back to the period of Muromachi Jidai (1300s till 1500s), as there was a Japanese settlement in present day Dilao suburb of Manila. As much as 3,000 Japanese immigrants lived there , invited by the Raja of Maynilad.

In those days, from the 1300s onwards, it was common to see Japanese trade ships like these dotting the harbor of present day Manila, bringing goods from Japan to Maharlika, and bringing the goods of Maharlika back to Japan.

RedSealShip.JPG

That's the point. The Philippines is growing from a low base. If the Philippines were destined to overtake Thailand why haven't they already?

That's the point. The Philippines is growing from a low base.

No, the Philippines' economy is larger than Vietnam's + Cambodia's + Laos combined. To give you a perspective of how large their economy is compared to the region. The Philippines may not have a strong military, but their economy is one of the best performing in the region with stellar indications for continued long term growth. Within a decades time, they will reach a middle income state -- in par with that of Malaysia.

Don't spew ridiculous nonsense in something you have little knowledge about.

No, the Philippines' economy is larger than Vietnam's + Cambodia's + Laos combined. To give you a perspective of how large their economy is compared to the region. The Philippines may not have a strong military, but their economy is one of the best performing in the region with stellar indications for continued long term growth. Within a decades time, they will reach a middle income state -- in par with that of Malaysia.

So Japan is responsible for the Philippines GDP per capita of around ~3000?

I know exactly how "large" the Flip economy is. Why compare it with another impoverished hellhole like Vietnam, as well as two small countries with a combined population of 20 million?

Nigeria has a higher GDP per capita than the Philippines. How have they managed this without Japan's help?

Again pay no mind to SOB its waste of time just post once and ignore the SOBs

So Japan is responsible for the Philippines GDP per capita of around ~3000?

GDP per capita is but an estimation, but the larger picture is gdp growth rate (nominal terms) , number of foreign direct investments, job creation per annum, and the demographics of jobs created by industry. There's no way Japan is 'responsible' for the Philippine economy, but i will say that Japan is an active partner , active investor (actually the largest FDI in the Philippines, as well as the largest trading partner of the Philippines). So we can say that Japan 'contributes' to the growth of the Philippine economy, but not responsible for the Philippines' success. The ones responsible for said success are the Filipino people, Filipino businessmen, and the leadership in Malacanang.

Back
Top Bottom