What's new

A Homeland for Indian Muslims

Got some random thoughts on this post, here are my two cents.
On the first impression, this post gave me a smell of elitism, the thought "An educated idiot is still an idiot"; that new "elites" are naïve, conservative, uncultured and backward than older elite, hence there in lies the problem - the democratisation of thought to the masses will make regressive thoughts more mainstream and will even give the regressive ideologies a decent intellectual footing which may have been absent till that point whereas non-democratisation will keep the masses regressive in itself but an "enlightened elite" will rule over them with liberal ideals. But we should keep in mind that this democratisation is inevitable but will the result always be the same as discussed above is a matter of debate.
Let's take a step back and see; from Chinese post-Marxist fascists disillusioned with Marxism, finding an identity in borderline fascist Chinese nationalism (and to some extent the Singapore) to the secular Kemalist Turkey voting for Erdogan, Iranian revolution fueled and given an ideological footing by the likes of Ali Shariati (who unfortunately died at the backdrop of the revolution, may he rest in peace) to the election of our own PM Modi overthrew the 65+ years rule by "enlightened" Congress and left - a feature common in all of them is the same democratisation of thought which overthrew the old "enlightened elite' and bought a relatively conservative ideology at the forefront (in some cases it was the conscious decision of the elites themselves - China). It should be noted that the enlightenment that older elites was never indigenously developed (as many critics argued) but was adopted from the western thinkers in part of the awe of their material, industrial, social and scientific process, the older elite thought that applying the western principles over the indigenous people will inevitably result in progress the way it had in west also with the hope that as the elite will expand through materialistic development they newer ones too will accept their thinking.
Why the process did not saw the same in the west and Japan? Well, it did. I see twentieth century world wars as the direct result of this shift but the destruction caused them to realise the great dangers of that "inevitable" conservative shift and moved much more towards left both socially and economically. In short, a great backlash made the that shift a loathed period.
Now, coming back to Muslims, there's a certain kind of backlash already happened after the global jihad phenomenon and moreover in Indian context, there's more with the election of Modi and the onslaught of "regressive Islamic practices" in "intellectual" circles and media houses; it'll inevitably lead to a more conscious disassociating from those practices.

(Feeling lazy now, may add more later)

Interesting, but I disagree. Read the essay I am about to send you in another twenty minutes. Several people have already read it and commented on it. I hope you will, too.

I speak fluent Tamil-Infact better than Telegu itself. Unfortunately I cant read or write in Telegu or Tamil- Hindi is the only Indian language I can read and write in.

You are correct- Jayalalitha is a Tam Bram (Iyengar Family) - got mixed up- she was born in Karnataka thats what I mixed up. Apologies.

She was a Mandyam Iyengar. They migrated a little over a 1,000 years ago. Something like the Pathans (of Rajput descent) that some hedge scholar talks about.

Interesting, but I disagree. Read the essay I am about to send you in another twenty minutes. Several people have already read it and commented on it. I hope you will, too.

She was a Mandyam Iyengar. They migrated a little over a 1,000 years ago. Something like the Pathans (of Rajput descent) that some hedge scholar talks about.
She is not a mandyam Iyengar and didn't move 1000 years ago.

The family is well-known in Mysore; both the sets of Mysore Iyengars moved during the reign of Kulothunga Chola.
That's why she had a house in Srirangam? A specific house? People who moved that long back were slaughtered by Tipu Sultan.

That's why she had a house in Srirangam? A specific house? People who moved that long back were slaughtered by Tipu Sultan.

There are dozens of both sects who have houses in Srirangam, dating back to Tipu's times. There are those among the other sect who are relatives of mine (by marriage), and who are still hosts when ashes are immersed in Paschim Vahini.

People who date from that time moved into four villages in Mysore. I have seen the unique family tree of more than thirty generations in one of those four temple towns. It exists even today, and has been extended to the current generation.

Jayalalitha? That anti-Sri Lankan bigot? Good riddence to bad rubbish.

There are dozens of both sects who have houses in Srirangam, dating back to Tipu's times. There are those among the other sect who are relatives of mine (by marriage), and who are still hosts when ashes are immersed in Paschim Vahini.

She wasn't anti srilankan at all.

What did she do anti-Sri Lankan? I'll tell you, she chivvied a publicity hound whose whole raison d'etre was supporting the LTTE. That's all.

LTTE and Srilanka are not that important an issue for Tamil politicians as the optics suggest. Optics of course will make it seem like that is all that's important for TN.

LTTE and Srilanka are not that important an issue for Tamil politicians as the optics suggest. Optics of course will make it seem like that is all that's important for TN.

It never was; it was a scandal for outsiders who knew nothing about the real situation. Seen this happen elsewhere; about the Naxalite problem in Calcutta/W. Bengal, and the way it was used AFTER the problem had been solved.

It never was; it was a scandal for outsiders who knew nothing about the real situation. Seen this happen elsewhere; about the Naxalite problem in Calcutta/W. Bengal, and the way it was used AFTER the problem had been solved.

Naxalite at least was something that happened locally inside the country however relevant or irrelevant. This is something else but yeah the idea is similar.

How was it during the actual period in which LTTE was fighting? Were the TN politicians supporting them? What were the sentiments of the common people? Did they want to help the Tamil brethren in SL? @ChennaiDude

What is your perception of the LTTE movement? How are Tamils looked at in SL? Are they discriminated against?

How was it during the actual period in which LTTE was fighting? Were the TN politicians supporting them? What were the sentiments of the common people? Did they want to help the Tamil brethren in SL? @ChennaiDude

What is your perception of the LTTE movement? How are Tamils looked at in SL? Are they discriminated against?

My opinions are different to the time I was in college and later when I met srilankan Tamils and Sinhalese in Dubai. It is highly complicated.

Only thing is Srilanka is a different country, it is only 40km away from india but it is still another country. We share everything with srilankan Tamils faith, food,. language, culture, customs but they are of a different country and this is where one realizes how much law has to do with one's mindset.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom