What's new

A Formidable Enemy-The ‘good’ Taliban join forces with the ‘bad’ Taliban

Last night I was watching a talk show on Geo called "Taliban or Zaliman". It was very interesting and Hamid Mir on the show as a guest exposed some really bitter realities. He told Afrasiab Khatak that some element in the higher up (ISI etc) are still in talk with Taliban, Maulvi Nazeer being one of them, to which Afrasiab Khatak said he said no to such suggestion and Hamid replied you said no but they still went on with it and he has proof that part of deal with Maulvi Nazeer was to release some of his captured fighters.
This really shook me up and upset me, what's the point of capturing these suicide bombers? to use them as bargaining chips and making deals? Now I know why that captured suicide bomber said in his interview to Saleem Saafi very confidently that he'll be released.
I don't when the secret services of Pakistan will learn their lesson.

As is said Maulvi Nazeer and Gul Bahadur are not the ones launching suicide bombers at pakistan, its baitullah mehsud, and ISI must be & have to be in talks with these elements, reason being to break the alliance of these two with mehsud, becoz if that happens, then mehsud men would be encircled and army can launch pincer kind of attack in the mehsud trible area, one from the Wana side and other from the backside, just like what they did in swat, multiple directional attack.
And if you look at the history, pakistani forces have not captured / killed any major taliban leader except for the Taliban Ambassador to Pakistan, as that poor soul was in Pakistan and had to be given to the americans, but released after 2 or 3 years in captivity.
Guys try to understand, these taliban, the ones fighting in afghanistan are very important for pakistan.

Fundamentalist Bro, i didnt said that OBL is mossad / CIA agent, but who knows he may and he may not. No one knows he is in these mountains, he might be dead or he might be somewhere enjoying. If he isnt an agent of them, then if you look at the chronology of events for the past many years his organization does something, americans get an excuse for their actions, meaning americans are using him in this way, they do some bombing, americans take action justifying it with his organization.

And if you have read newspaper or intelligence books, so many so called mullahs (imams of masjids) have been charged on spying charges.

Recently NWFP govt has put a ban that no imams of masjids would be from outside of the province, reason being no one knows who the guy from outside is, whts his qualifications, he may be anyone who might create problem in future.

In short, i said on this forum somewhere, its a global conspiracy, some actions of these conspirators get succeeded, some doesnt, for which alternate plans are put in place.

If someone says there is no conspiracy against us, he is a fool in my view.

As is said Maulvi Nazeer and Gul Bahadur are not the ones launching suicide bombers at pakistan, its baitullah mehsud, and ISI must be & have to be in talks with these elements, reason being to break the alliance of these two with mehsud, becoz if that happens, then mehsud men would be encircled and army can launch pincer kind of attack in the mehsud trible area, one from the Wana side and other from the backside, just like what they did in swat, multiple directional attack.
And if you look at the history, pakistani forces have not captured / killed any major taliban leader except for the Taliban Ambassador to Pakistan, as that poor soul was in Pakistan and had to be given to the americans, but released after 2 or 3 years in captivity.
Guys try to understand, these taliban, the ones fighting in afghanistan are very important for pakistan.

Fundamentalist Bro, i didnt said that OBL is mossad / CIA agent, but who knows he may and he may not. No one knows he is in these mountains, he might be dead or he might be somewhere enjoying. If he isnt an agent of them, then if you look at the chronology of events for the past many years his organization does something, americans get an excuse for their actions, meaning americans are using him in this way, they do some bombing, americans take action justifying it with his organization.

And if you have read newspaper or intelligence books, so many so called mullahs (imams of masjids) have been charged on spying charges.

Recently NWFP govt has put a ban that no imams of masjids would be from outside of the province, reason being no one knows who the guy from outside is, whts his qualifications, he may be anyone who might create problem in future.

In short, i said on this forum somewhere, its a global conspiracy, some actions of these conspirators get succeeded, some doesnt, for which alternate plans are put in place.

If someone says there is no conspiracy against us, he is a fool in my view.

The focal point of anti islamic conspiracy is now Pakistan.The international community is considering that Pakistan is epi centre of terrorism.
In fact our past dictators played role of double agent for their personal gains and they dealth softly with jehadi mullahs inforced during Afghan Jehad .

Present mess in SWAT and FATA is due to weekness of politicians.We should develop a long term national security policy so that national intrests could not be compromised.

We need to understand that US/INDIA/UK/NATO have common intrest in the Afghanistan ,they want to tap the oil and gas resources of central asia, so they wanted a favourable government in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

BLA,TTP are oraganisation working for anti Pakistan forces.Al Qaeda has very stronge network which is working for support of organisations fighting againt US and Israel.They dont have manpower to fight with US , They are focusing in Afghanistan and NWFP where people are islam lover and brave could easily trapped in their net.

US wanted control all trade routes and corridors of oil and gas in central asia and middle east,which is vital for its servival.US is working on agenda of modren colonialism.

WOT is long term war ( crusade ) , west countries have feeling that islam could be danger for US and Allies in future .if not why one by one muslim countries are on their target?

Fundamentalist

We need to understand that US/INDIA/UK/NATO have common intrest in the Afghanistan ,they want to tap the oil and gas resources of central asia, so they wanted a favourable government in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

So 9/11 did not really happen? huh!!!!

Well good to hear Fundamentalist Bro, atleast we both are 99% on the same thinking platform.

As for Pashtuns being islam lover, well being a pashtun myself, i wont be agreeing with u fully. We pathans become islam lovers on our own terms and whenever our heart wants, i feel sorry for saying this but for pathans their pakhtunwali comes first, if something even in islam conflicts with their pakhtunwali traditions they will go after their own traditions then towards islam. There are good and true islam lovers also, but pathans are one complex human being to understand :)

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Jeypore, 9/11 did happen, but not by muslims or al qaeda.

So 9/11 did not really happen? huh!!!!

9/11 was planned by a intelligence agency and highly influenced and resourcefull organisation,which had knowledge and access of US security and aviation system.I dont think Al Qaeda has this capability other wise this could happened in early 90's.

9/11 was planned after 1998 Pakistan's nukes tests ,the enemy blamed Al Qaeda and Talaban but real target was Pakistan's nukes.

Coup againt Nawaz government and degrading Dr Qadir Khan may be also part of their plan.

Israel after 1998 started close coordination with India and helped India in Kashmir.Israeli F16 are still doing joint excercises with IAF.

US is delibrately extending its presence in Afghanistan to block the strategic dept of Pakistan incase of indian invasion.

Bombai attacks was a trailer but actual plan is still under review.:coffee:

Allah may save Pakistan from its enemies. Ameen

Fundamentalist
9/11 was planned after 1998 Pakistan's nukes tests ,the enemy blamed Al Qaeda and Talaban but real target was Pakistan's nukes.

:lol:

wait a minute!!!!

:rofl:

OK, So Americans decided to Kill there on 3,000 citizens, just to remove Nukes from Pakistan. Unbelievable!!!! Did you go to school boy or education is solely based on Childrens books.

Allah may save Pakistan from its enemies. Ameen

Allah needs to save Pakistan from people such as you!!!!

:lol:

wait a minute!!!!

:rofl:

OK, So Americans decided to Kill there on 3,000 citizens, just to remove Nukes from Pakistan. Unbelievable!!!! Did you go to school boy or education is solely based on Childrens books.

Allah needs to save Pakistan from people such as you!!!!

I know arabs very well , God gave them wealth but not too much intellegence , 9/11 is plan of extremely intelligent person or group have complete knowledge of US security system.

Use your common sense but common sense is not common :agree:

Fundamentalist:
The US is already paying $ 1.5 b / year. That includes the charge for the blood money as a result of drone attacks. Recently the US paid about $ 2500 for an Afghan child killed, which is rather generous. There is no example of any armed force in the world that has ever paid for its mistakes (collateral damage); the US is the only exception.

9/11 was technically a very sophisticated operation, far beyond the capability of Al-Quaeda or Taliban morons. To hit a 130 m wide object dead center (WTC) at 400 knots requires the skill level of an experienced fighter pilot. This just could not be done by johnies with 100 odd hours of flight time on a cessna.

The 9/11 tragedy did happen, the loss of 3000 innocent lives was horrendous. The civilized world has unanimous support for the US War on Terror. But the fact remains that the WTC tragedy has never been adequately invetigated.

Fundamentalist:
The US is already paying $ 1.5 b / year. That includes the charge for the blood money as a result of drone attacks. Recently the US paid about $ 2500 for an Afghan child killed, which is rather generous. There is no example of any armed force in the world that has ever paid for its mistakes (collateral damage); the US is the only exception.

Is this money is help those effected people? If we go and kill americans and pay around 2500$ per kid then they will forgive us in the court? Money can't replace the suffering of those who lost their life & the family of those people. Also, the money which is been paid to pakistan (through NGOs, welfare workers) will never reach those people in FATA. because no NGO is will to start any welfare work in that area.

You suggest Omar might be in Helmand. So?

So, why was it hard to comprehend that the first time?

The discussion is about "good" and "bad" taliban. That particular lexicon applies only to Pakistanis. Outside of Pakistan, there are only taliban and they are ALL bad.

That’s utter bull. The notion of differentiating between ‘good’ and ‘bad’ Taliban and engaging with the former is present in Afghanistan. That’s been expressed routinely by coalition commanders, other western officials and local ones. It’s not just Pakistanis who have to deal with the morality of differentiating between Taliban. In fact your proxy in Afghanistan, Hamid Karzi, has gone as far as to offer Mullah Omar indemnity in exchange for talks, and has lobbied for the removal of the UN ‘terrorist’ designation on Taliban members for that purpose. The very same supposedly irredeemable Mullah Omar-lead Taliban you insinuate Pakistan is in outrageous complicity with. You’re making a big deal of what Secretary Gates supposedly ‘believes’, but you’d do well to educate yourself as to what opinion your leaders the likes of President Obama and General Petraeus hold in regards to ‘reconcilable Taliban’.

Like I said, look to yourself before making sweeping, pompous remarks in the future.

This discussion isn't about the efforts of foreign nations to assist Afghanistan.

In case you haven’t noticed, we’re in the same war. Why should the actions, performance and credibility of the international forces be beyond reproach? You’ve made both explicit and implicit accusations insinuating Pakistan’s ‘complicity’ being the ‘foundation’ of coalition failures in Afghanistan. You being so adverse to that notion, which either way has bearings on the ground realities of both countries, being assessed here is hypocrisy. Simplistic, and inherently hypocritical, retorts like the following won’t help the credibility of your rants about Pakistan:

What happens in Helmand is beyond your control. What happens in Quetta is not.

Very well. How about “what happens in Quetta is beyond your control. What happens in Helmand is not. In Helmand, sufficient amounts of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ Taliban reside, deal with them and the territories they control before moaning about Quetta.” You think that’s fair? Probably not, but since you’re okay with this ‘logic’, so am I.

In any case, they'd be inaccurate if doing so. Many of our setbacks and failures can be legitimately attributed to ourselves. We seem to spend a great deal of time, blood, and money, however, to determine what we might do better.

As do we. It’s quite generous of you to admit that ‘many’ of your failures are your responsibility. I’d be inclined to appreciate that, but:

Pakistan's decision to aborgate it's sovereign responsibilities in the late fall of 2001 and early 2002 helped to create an externally-directed insurgency against Afghanistan. This is a legitimate source of our angst. No doubt. The fountain, even.

Really? Most observers are given to comment that it was your fixation with invading Iraq, complacency spurred by initial success in Afghanistan (which lead to under-resourcing in terms of military equipment, personal and poor infrastructural, political and social management) and lack of efficient coordination with Pakistan which is what lead to the Taliban resurgence and your present predicament. And not some “Pakistan’s ‘decision’ to abrogate its sovereign responsibilities” crap. Pakistan did its fair bit to stop the flow, which should’ve been your responsibility primarily since it originated from Afghan territory, the military control of which was mandated to you, not us. Certainly there is was no intentional ‘decision’ to ‘abrogate’ anything. Manifested here is your clear bias; you’ll prefer to distort, dissemble, ignore or deny any and all narration at odds with your factually-vacant pretentions.

90,000 ISAF troops suggest such is going on.

Not necessarily. A large chunk of these 90,000 are constitutionally barred from partaking in combat heavy operations that define fighting the insurgency to the south and south-east. That is where British, Canadian and American forces man frontline positions with the Taliban, many such districts are heavily undermanned (as per your own COIN doctrines) while others almost entirely uncontested. The Taliban are not a force relying on Pakistani soil for military survival, they’re a force that’s very much intact, alive and kicking in Afghanistan.

No S-2, the only thing the situation in Afghanistan tells us is there’s much work to be done, both in terms of mustering the psychological and material resources and the executing the supposedly improved plans.

How "self-righteous" is in the eye of the beholder. For myself, I accept such a condition now with equanimity.

You can dispense with the verbal sport and focus on defending your suppositions.

I'm governed by no such obligation and can look to wherever I see problems.

Then so can I. Your failure to bring stability to Afghanistan, as was your mandate 8 years ago, is such. That is the reason for your tirade about Quetta, not the other way round.

It is conceivable that Omar, his command leadership, OBL, Zawahiri, Hekmatyar, and Haqqani all reside 24/7/52 weeks a year in Afghanistan.

Now that you’ve acknowledged what you had failed to in your first reply. I’d like to address this particular concept:

Unlike you, though, we'll be searching a foreign land for these men. You'll be searching your own lands...or so they're drawn on maps. Therein lies the fundamental difference between ISAF operations and your own.

You keep repeating that, but it is inconsequential to the matter at hand. Why should the standards of success, credibility and commitment be laxer for the coalition on account of the fact that Afghanistan is not their sovereign territory but a sovereign territory they’ve been mandated to protect and secure? This ‘fundamental difference’ is mere semantics, a technicality.

Pakistan barely has a fraction of the resources the western powers have to secure Afghanistan, Pakistan constitutes much less military prowess as well. The Obama administration is not inclined to comment that Afghanistan is a subordinated foreign policy objective. You need to come up with a better logic to negate your failures and feign superiority over Pakistan, this one is flawed.

Nonetheless, we'll be pleased to uncover Omar in some hamlet in Helmand should he be there as we arrive.

I doubt it. You’d have to admit you were wrong for one thing. For another many of your customary excuses would evaporate.

What rants? Sovereign aborgation? If so, that's not a rant. It's a very serious issue given the subsequent consequences

The serious nature of your allegations or of your alluded “consequences” does not negate the fact that it is a rant. To the contrary actually, it’s dramatic, factually vacant and vague.

Policy has long been in place and executed on just such an analysis by our government and others.

And how well has that turned out for you, if we take the US ‘belief’ that Saddam was stockpiling WMDs as a recent example. There is no reason to believe that this ‘analysis’ is anymore genuine. Had such undeniable evidence and intelligence existed pertaining to Quetta hosting the Taliban command centre then, in my view, the Obama administration would not have abstained from deploying Predator drones to target it, much like they have no qualms in targeting the Al-Qaeda infiltrated tribes in Pakistan’s settled and unsettled areas up north.

Earlier I left the Elizabeth Rubin piece by the NYT and Peter Bergen's thoughts but they hardly are the sum total. I suspect Gates' sourcing goes a bit deeper though.

I’m sure you do, you’re given to believe what is convenient and what sits well with your ‘blame the Pakistanis’ mentality. Thoughts of American authors and unattributed pieces by the NYT (known for printing the occasionally outrageous inaccuracies) aren’t going to cut it. Anymore than pieces from Pakistani newspapers or journalists would were to I make my own contentions on another thread.

Irrelevant what I believe about your Interior Minister and DG ISPR on that topic.

Not irrelevant. Why can’t your standards of credibility be shared by me? I believe my DG ISPR would know more about matters in the region than your SECDEF Gates, who’s to decide who is right? They’re both partial. If you can rubbish his beliefs on account of his partiality, so can I in regards to Gates.

So too many independant reporting sources. I've previously used links to such assertions to support my prior posts on this thread.

I don’t see ‘many independent sources’ attesting anything you’ve alleged. They’ve reported claims and counter-claims, but none of them claimed to have independently verified anything. Certainly nothing of the sweeping and irrefutable nature you’re insisting on. There is little doubt that Taliban (or ex-Taliban) members might be able to find their way to a multi-ethnic city like Quetta now and then, but that’s a far cry from your claim that the Pakistan government has decided to host their operational and strategic command. Karzi and his family were residents of Quetta when the Taliban were in charge, but everyone knew about it then. In contrast, there is no such indication that Omar makes his residence there. Let alone heads a military presence capable of dominating the underworld and handling operations across the border, which is bound upset the balance of intricate ethnic rivalries in and around the city.

That's the second time you've referred to "proof". This isn't a rhetorical exercise, Kasrkin.

This isn’t a rhetorical exercise, which is why I’m talking about verifiable, credible substance to back up your allegations. All you’ve given me so far is rhetorical arguments in the hopes of crediting your factually-vacant contentions. In the past you’ve demanded ridiculously detailed amounts of ‘proofs’ in order to undermine even the simplest of observations by others. Now suddenly I’m being too unrealistic by asking you to substantiate?

There is the assertion of the SECDEF and a long history of anecdotal reporting to this effect. "Google" away, lad.

‘Anecdotal’ reporting just isn’t good enough. You can find anecdotal ‘reporting’ on pretty much everything. As to googling, well I might as well google ‘America run by zionists’ for all the credibility I’ll find.

The BBC link you provided makes clear that the ISI protecting Omar in Quetta is an Afghan intelligence claim, the supposed ‘confession’ was extracted under unclear conditions. Mr. Hanif apparently ‘confessed’ that Retd. General Hamid Gul is actively involved with the Taliban as well, which is laughable. Reports based on ‘anonymous’ officials, they never end do they? They’re not attributed much credibility elsewhere and they won’t be here.

We learned our lesson.

Point is that the US is responsible for it as well, so think before you make taunts. We’ve learned our lesson too, nothing you have can dispute that.

If men such as Gates, Barnos, McKiernan and many, many others with far greater insight and access are prepared to assert such on a routine basis, so too shall I...and have.

I don’t recall Gates claiming that Pakistan has ‘decided to abrogate it's sovereign responsibilities’ which is a very serious allegation. Its just a dramatic rant without particular and factually verifiable proof (which is your case) and probably a bloated exaggeration of any comments he might’ve made on the matter anyway. Even if it were his comments, that it is Pakistan’s decision to host a exiled Taliban government in Quetta, that doesn’t excuse your inability to substantiate any if it through facts. What you’ve provided so far is very weak. You need to come up with something more credible if you plan on insisting that Pakistan is deceiving the west or playing a double game, otherwise its all rants at best and flaming at worst.

There are plenty of "vague rants" on this thread. Mine aren't among them.

I’ll be the judge of that, if you don’t mind.

Thanks, Kasrkin

Thank me once we’ve finished with this discussion.

I see massive differences arising from your skewed understanding of sovereignty and its obligations. Post as you see fit but ignoring the overwhelming reports of a Quetta shura to emphasize the highly unlikely possibility of Omar being in Afghanistan is your business.

Gates and many others would disagree. Count me among them. See the ostriches with their heads in the sand? Count yourself there.

I'll await any article by you suggesting that Omar is spending all his time in Afghanistan. Just ONE. If not, you've no weight in your contentions.

By yourself, you just don't cut it. I'll take my linked "rants" anyday.

Thanks, Kasrkin. This discussion is finished until you show anything more substantive to support your contentions than thus far-nil. Can you do so?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom