What's new

A fan’s letter to Mohammad Amir

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
When the tribunal was deciding your fate in Doha, as a nation we were waiting with bated breath for the final decision. Some of us were so dismayed by your antics that we suggested you, along with your two cronies should be imprisoned, others insisted upon a life ban. Those on the other end of the spectrum vouched for your innocence.

You persistently spoke of your complete innocence and come on, Amir, a lot of us have a hard time believing your claims. Now I am not blessed with the knowledge of the unseen and I can in no way claim that you lie – only God and you know the complete truth. But the tribunal said you are guilty and it makes more sense to admit to a crime which it seems you did commit.

I mean, what’s so bad about saying you were lured by money and that you are sorry? Do you know that great men in the past have admitted to their mistakes and have gained so much respect in the world? Do you know you could suddenly win the sympathy of our countrymen who, you may not realize this, have the ability to forgive?

You captured hearts with your bowling, but then you broke them too. Now is the time to begin mending them and as an idol for young fans, you need to give us some answers. I realize you are only 18 years of age, and that’s why I believe this decision could be a blessing in disguise for you.

Ever thought about studying? Getting enrolled in a good school somewhere, getting a degree, and serving your ban like a true gentleman? Cricketers around the world have made strong comebacks after getting educated – Pakistan Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq is a prime example. Your swing and seam will not desert you Amir, for you are prodigiously talented. You’ll be a qualified man with another profession to fall back on.

And then there’s the physique. You are thin and lanky and in the five years away from cricket, you could use the time to work on your body. Playing international cricket is a demanding profession and working on your fitness might help to minimize the chance of some career-threatening injury. Plus, the lads easier on the eye (and higher on the hotness quotient) are always more popular. I read somewhere that it looked as though you had been crying after the decision was announced, and you know what, it’s okay to cry. It’s okay to say you’re sorry, it’s okay to make mistakes – we all do. Just admit to them like a man.

And Amir, a word of advice before I sign off – please choose your friends wisely. For someone who carries the hope of a nation mired in strife and controversy, you need to make sure the guys you hang out with are not cheats, drug addicts and crooks. And please, PLEASE, stop wearing marijuana T-Shirts, okay?

Yours sincerely,

Mehmudah Rehman

The Dawn Blog » Blog Archive » A fan

A crime was committed and punishment given and they will suffer for it. Lets wipe the slate clear. PCB should keep Aamir under its wings, educate him and wait for the time to reintroduce him. he did something wrong and paid for it.As long as he does not repeat his mistakes again, I am allright with it.
Araz

I still haven't seen incriminating evidence against them... Its just me, but just because NOTW says this video was made before the incident, why should I believe it?

Anyway, the ICC guys believed it, which is anyway an organization that has been historically anti-Pakistan. The three of them have still not confessed... I would love to know which agency analyzed the video to be authentic?

I think there's a high probability that if he's adequately rehabilitated, his sentence might be reduced. It will be good thing for cricket if he can get back to international cricket in like 2-3 years.

I dont think he will be coming back any time soon. The new guy junaid is as good as him. There are plenty of good bowlers just lurking there. He was young and brilliant and that made him a star. Its a pity that we are still supporting them.

Don't worry if he is guilty then let him complete his punishment. Its sad talent been wasted but selling the pride of nation is above all. That's dilemma in South Asia , we start feeling mercy. Let the criminal complete his punishment, a good lesson for new comers ..

all charsi juwari wear green shirts we are ashamed because of you amir.

I dont think he will be coming back any time soon. The new guy junaid is as good as him. There are plenty of good bowlers just lurking there. He was young and brilliant and that made him a star. Its a pity that we are still supporting them.

It will be up to him how he maintains himself and how well he uses his ban period. Surly it will be hard to maintain and improve his skills cause he is not supposed to play cricket at any worthwhile level. Despite all this spirited Aamir has a chance to come back. I think during these five years he will have a lot of time to think about his ill act and draw some positive conclusions.
Yes Junaid is very talented bowler but I have a feeling he has a little stressful bowling stride and may have fitness problems during his career. As far as Aamir's is concerned, he must be supported to come back after completion of has ban. You don't kill your son who commits some mistake or earns bad name due to some of his act. One definitely likes that e mends himself to become a good guy.

Amir opts to complete education during ban | Sport | DAWN.COM

KARACHI: Pakistan’s banned pace bowler Mohammad Amir has decided to finish his degree during his forced isolation from cricket.

The 18-year-old abandoned his studies when he started globetrotting as his career with Pakistan took off but his promising future was abruptly halted after he was found guilty of corruption by an International Cricket Council tribunal last month.

Handed a five-year ban from the sport, Amir said he wanted to use the time productively.

“I had to leave my college studies because of my full-time career in cricket once I was selected for Pakistan. But now I am trying privately to get a college degree,” the teenager said on a news channel.

“I am passing through the toughest period of my life and I have realised just how important it is to get a good education.”

Amir, former test captain Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif, were banned for a minimum of five years after being found guilty of bowling pre-arranged no balls during a test against England last year. They are appealing their bans with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

The trio also face criminal charges of accepting bribes and trying to defraud in a case brought by Britain’s Crown Prosecution Service and must appear in a magistrate’s court on March 17 in London.

They all deny any wrongdoing.

Many Pakistan players such as Amir hail from rural backgrounds and are unable to get a good education.

The left arm paceman had been tipped to become one of the best bowlers in the sport after picking up 99 wickets – across tests, ODIs and Twenty20 matches – since making his international debut in July 2009.

But with his career now on hold, he said his family suggested he should focus on his studies to remain busy. He did not specify the nature of his degree.

“I have filed an appeal with the CAS through my lawyer and I am hopeful of a good result and I am also going to London next week to attend the magistrates hearing in the Scotland Yard case against us,” he added.

“I regret not being able to play in the World Cup but I watch the matches. One thing this episode has taught me is to differentiate between true friends and foes.”

Mohammad_Amir_BollywoodSargam_smiling_875085.jpg

I was such a big fan of Aamer. It's so sad to see such talent going to waste. I don't know whether he's guilty or not. But if he's unable to win the apeal, like the letter says, he should get some education and work on his fitness, basically serve out the ban like a gentleman. I know Pakistanis are angry with him. But if he serves the punishment laid out to him, you guys should try to forgive him and give him another chance. To err is humane..

I just wish one day he'll be man enough to admit his error of judgement and apologige to the Pakistani populace, that is, if he is really guilty.

While he was there, I loved his bowling. I even got up at 3 AM in the morning to see him bowl against the Australians.

Back
Top Bottom