What's new

85 % of Turks Don’t Drink Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
We as Muslims r strictly forbidden from Alcohol consumption. Turkey is also a Muslim country so they r just following that.
Its no big deal.

Do not be sectarian dude. We, Turks, have almost zero sectarian tension between ourselves, although we have many different religions. There is no difference between us, and it has nothing to do with our religion.

:tup:

You're turkish or Iranian ?

Alcohol still flows illegally in Pakistan; the govt is just losing out on crucial tax revenues which it would get by legalizing alcohol.

Do you know how many billions Australia spends every year to teach people about alcohol-related problems?

I expect Canada spends a similar amount, as does every developed country

The tax revenue doesn't even begin to cover the societal costs (health, productivity, accidents, etc.) caused by alcohol.

Do not be sectarian dude. We, Turks, have almost zero sectarian tension between ourselves, although we have many different religions. There is no difference between us, and it has nothing to do with our religion.

:tup:

Dude, I know it has nothing to do with religion and I'm not trying to be sectarian. I'm just speaking from personal experience. Some faiths allow you to drink some don't, it's up to the individual whether they follow it or not.

Yeah Turks are so mixed hence harder to identify what they are. That's the main reason I stay out of asking those question outside to avoid awkwardness unless I know them. Anyway, where I live have the largest Turkish population out of all state in Australia (@Faith&Secularism here knows). I think the Northern region where they live mixed with Lebanese/Iraqis are the Muslim ones because of the all the restuarants, masjeds, shops they sell and business etc they built. Alevis wouldn't do that but they are minority anyway.

That's the one, I was going to mention that it was Northern Turkey where most of them are Orthodox Muslims but wasn't sure.

From personal experience as I have many Turkish/Kurdish friends, it's usually the Alevi's that drink. I think Alevi's are actually allowed to drink. But obviously it depends on the individual regardless of belief.

Alvis r allowed to drink? :lol: my evil Alvi pals must be keepin it secret.. Those evil bastards..:rofl:

Do you know how many billions Australia spends every year to teach people about alcohol-related problems?

I expect Canada spends a similar amount, as does every developed country

The tax revenue doesn't even begin to cover the societal costs (health, productivity, accidents, etc.) caused by alcohol.

That's a useless argument to make. Do you know how much money Pakistan has to spend on people getting sick from illegal moonshine and other alcohol abuse problems? Its also in the billions (rupees in Pakistan's case) & yet by not making alcohol legal and not generating tax revenues which could be put towards the health system geared towards alcohol abuse & spreading awareness about alcohol abuse, Pakistan is losing out.

Simply banning the product doesn't make the problems disappear because that's akin to burying one's head in the sand and pretending that a problem does not exist. Meeting the problem head-on and regulating the industry is the way. People will get access to alcohol and abuse it whether its legally available or not. Its the government's loss for not having a say in the process by simply not being part of the equation.

Secularism is the separation of State and Religion, it has nothing to do with beein religious or not.

Turkey is secular and majority supports it.

gsi2-overview-3.png
Where are middle eastern countries? KSA?

That's a useless argument to make. Do you know how much money Pakistan has to spend on people getting sick from illegal moonshine and other alcohol abuse problems? Its also in the billions (rupees in Pakistan's case) & yet by not making alcohol legal and not generating tax revenues which could be put towards the health system geared towards alcohol abuse & spreading awareness about alcohol abuse, Pakistan is losing out.

Simply banning the product doesn't make the problems disappear because that's akin to burying one's head in the sand and pretending that a problem does not exist. Meeting the problem head-on and regulating the industry is the way. People will get access to alcohol and abuse it whether its legally available or not. Its the government's loss for not having a say in the process by simply not being part of the equation.

Why not legalize prostitution?
Why not legalize heroin?

You don't run a country by compromising on laws and surrendering to criminals. We can debate the merits of a policy on its inherent characteristics, not because "people are doing it anyway". People are also pirating movies and TV shows.

There's nothing "inevitable" about illegal alcohol consumption, just as there's nothing "inevitable" about snorting cocaine. It is the state's job to enforce laws and clamp down on illegal activity.

The negative social and economic effects of alcohol far outweigh any potential tax benefits.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Let's let the Turks decide what they want in their country.

Last edited:

Banning an useless product is practicable. It does not create new consumers, meanwhile the old addicts can either correct themselves or switch to some other addiction.

Why not? Drinking responsibly is actually good for health. Medically proven.

Banning an useless product is practicable. It does not create new consumers, meanwhile the old addicts can either correct themselves or switch to some other addiction.

It will increase smuggling and trafficking ten times the normal. Alcohol is a strong industry and shutting that down means severe revenue crunch for most governments who levy heavy taxes over their import and export.

Also, it will create more criminals.

As there are addicts, there are many more who drink responsibly. Why deprive them?

Also, Muslims of many countries drink more alcohol as any other community. So banning alcohol is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom