What's new

85 % of Turks Don’t Drink Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Hanafi School, Alcohol, as "Khamr", derived from the traditional foods, is Najas. As it is a direct commandment in the Qur'an al Kareem, against the use of intoxicants.

It's use for external application or medicinal purposes is where the opinion diverges. And this is in the case of synthetic alcohol, and not from fruits and dates, called "khamr". This is based on 4 conditions. First is that the synthetic alcohol is not used as an intoxicant. This is the position of Imam Abu Hanifah rahimahuAllah
Actually I was talking about this:
Imam Abu Hanifa And The Early Hanafis Allowed Drinking Alcohol (except For Wine) As Long As You Didn't Get Drunk - Spirit Of Islam

Never knew Turks were such pious muslims. Is this new trend towards more religiosity ? Anyway, good.

Never knew Turks were such pious muslims. Is this new trend towards more religiosity ? Anyway, good.

60% of Turkish women wear a Hijab. Much much more than pakistani or indian muslim women

Fake, I think close to half would drink either occasionally, regularly or at one point of their life, may be even more then half.

60% of Turkish women wear a Hijab. Much much more than pakistani or indian muslim women

Really ? I always had a different image of Turkey in mind. My cousin and his family went for a trip to Turkey in 2012 and they told me they didn't see many women wearing Hijab or Burkha. Anyway...

You are wrong.
Turkey[edit]
Main article: Headscarf controversy in Turkey

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk's wife, Lâtife Uşaklıgil, wearing a hijab and jilbāb in 1923.
Turkey is officially a secular state, and the hijab was banned in universities and public buildings until late 2013 – this included libraries or government buildings. The ban was first in place during the 1980 military coup, but the law was strengthened more in 1997. Over the years thousands of women have been arrested or prosecuted for refusing to take off the hijab or protesting against the ban, by the secular institution. There has been some unofficial relaxation of the ban under governments led by the conservative party AKP in recent years, for example the current government of the AKP is willing to lift the ban in universities, however the new law was upheld by the constitutional court, and on the other hand the military sees itself as the protector of secularism. The ban has been highly controversial since its implementation, in a country where 99% are either practicing or nominal Muslims or assumed as Muslim by the state. Some researchers claim that around 60% of Turkish women cover their heads; however, many women wear a cultural headscarf that is not a symbol of the Quran. This is often mistaken by some, who instead assume that the headscarf in Turkish research only symbolises the hijab and not the cultural one, and this is probably why many think that a majority of Turkish women wear Islamic covering. Researches also shows that the usage of the Hijab has declined since the 1990s. In cities like Istanbul and Ankara most women do not cover their heads. In some cities in eastern Turkey where a conservative mentality still is more dominant more women cover their heads .On 7 February 2008, the Turkish Parliament passed an amendment to the constitution, allowing women to wear the headscarf in Turkish universities, arguing that many women would not seek an education if they could not wear the hijab.The decision was met with powerful opposition and protests from secularists. On 5 June 2008, the Constitutional Court of Turkey reinstated the ban on constitutional grounds of the secularity of the state.[68] Headscarves had become a focal point of the conflict between the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) and the secularist establishment, which includes the courts, universities, and army. The ruling was widely seen as a victory for Turks who claim this maintains Turkey's separation of state and religion

You are wrong.
Turkey[edit]
Main article: Headscarf controversy in Turkey

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk's wife, Lâtife Uşaklıgil, wearing a hijab and jilbāb in 1923.
Turkey is officially a secular state, and the hijab was banned in universities and public buildings until late 2013 – this included libraries or government buildings. The ban was first in place during the 1980 military coup, but the law was strengthened more in 1997. Over the years thousands of women have been arrested or prosecuted for refusing to take off the hijab or protesting against the ban, by the secular institution. There has been some unofficial relaxation of the ban under governments led by the conservative party AKP in recent years, for example the current government of the AKP is willing to lift the ban in universities, however the new law was upheld by the constitutional court, and on the other hand the military sees itself as the protector of secularism. The ban has been highly controversial since its implementation, in a country where 99% are either practicing or nominal Muslims or assumed as Muslim by the state. Some researchers claim that around 60% of Turkish women cover their heads; however, many women wear a cultural headscarf that is not a symbol of the Quran. This is often mistaken by some, who instead assume that the headscarf in Turkish research only symbolises the hijab and not the cultural one, and this is probably why many think that a majority of Turkish women wear Islamic covering. Researches also shows that the usage of the Hijab has declined since the 1990s. In cities like Istanbul and Ankara most women do not cover their heads. In some cities in eastern Turkey where a conservative mentality still is more dominant more women cover their heads .On 7 February 2008, the Turkish Parliament passed an amendment to the constitution, allowing women to wear the headscarf in Turkish universities, arguing that many women would not seek an education if they could not wear the hijab.The decision was met with powerful opposition and protests from secularists. On 5 June 2008, the Constitutional Court of Turkey reinstated the ban on constitutional grounds of the secularity of the state.[68] Headscarves had become a focal point of the conflict between the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) and the secularist establishment, which includes the courts, universities, and army. The ruling was widely seen as a victory for Turks who claim this maintains Turkey's separation of state and religion

But this still does not deny the fact that the vast majority of Turks and Kurds have rejected secularism. And they are strict Muslims. That is the reason why, 60% of women in Turkey wear a Hijab.

No not really, except from some small groups of extremists, everybody is fine with secularism, they don't want sharia or something. We have different groups of muslims, majority are moderate muslims, occasionally obeys religion's commands.

Dont count village women's headwears as regular hijabs.

But this still does not deny the fact that the vast majority of Turks and Kurds have rejected secularism. And they are strict Muslims. That is the reason why, 60% of women in Turkey wear a Hijab.
No,they just cover their hairs in rural areas.
It is a cultural thìng,not religious.

Really ? I always had a different image of Turkey in mind. My cousin and his family went for a trip to Turkey in 2012 and they told me they didn't see many women wearing Hijab or Burkha. Anyway...
Your cousin is right,we are a modern society.

No not really, except from some small groups of extremists, everybody is fine with secularism, they don't want sharia or something. We have different groups of muslims, majority are moderate muslims, occasionally obeys religion's commands.

Dont count village women's headwears as regular hijabs.

I like secular Turkey and Bangladesh. I hope Pakistan will one day become People's Republic of Pakistan.

No,they just cover their hairs in rural areas.
It is a cultural thìng,not religious.

Your cousin is right,we are a modern society.

Research done by PEW

How people in Muslim countries prefer women to dress in public | Pew Research Center

46% of Turks answered that they PREFER women wearing a proper Shar'i Hijab. And then another 4% Niqab, and then another 17% covering of the head.

I was wrong on Pakistan. According to PEW, 90% of Pakistanis answered yes to a proper Shari' covering, even though they might not do it themselves, at least they agree to it. :-)

Research done by PEW

How people in Muslim countries prefer women to dress in public | Pew Research Center

46% of Turks answered that they PREFER women wearing a proper Shar'i Hijab. And then another 4% Niqab, and then another 17% covering of the head.

I was wrong on Pakistan. According to PEW, 90% of Pakistanis answered yes to a proper Shari' covering, even though they might not do it themselves, at least they agree to it. :-)

The World’s Muslims: Religion, Politics and Society | Pew Research Center's Religion & Public Life Project

From the same source.

gsi2-overview-1.png

Only 12 % Muslims in Turkey favour Sharia law. Doesn't look like they have rejected secularism. 84 % in your Bakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom