What's new

800km Brahmos Being Readied

Water Car Engineer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chief S. Christopher on Wednesday said that DRDO is likely to extend the range of its BrahMos supersonic cruise missile to 450 km from existing 290 km. The first test is to be conducted on March 10 this year. According to Christopher, the missile can be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or land, with the enhanced range. Christopher also added that BrahMos with a range of 800km will be ready in next two and a half years. The BrahMos, a supersonic cruise missile that carries warheads weighing up to 300 kg and strike targets on land and at sea.

http://www.financialexpress.com/lif...ereafter-800km-first-test-on-march-10/552310/

Huge news for all three branches, espically for IN's surface, and future P75i subs.

NFjSwJ5.gif

IAF

ohjRvOx.gif

IA's tree top cruise, steep dive

TYs0eYT.gif

IN's Sub Launch

B59Mqjf.gif

IN Surface

The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chief S. Christopher on Wednesday said that DRDO is likely to extend the range of its BrahMos supersonic cruise missile to 450 km from existing 290 km. The first test is to be conducted on March 10 this year. According to Christopher, the missile can be launched from submarines, ships, aircraft or land, with the enhanced range. Christopher also added that BrahMos with a range of 800km will be ready in next two and a half years. The BrahMos, a supersonic cruise missile that carries warheads weighing up to 300 kg and strike targets on land and at sea.

http://www.financialexpress.com/lif...ereafter-800km-first-test-on-march-10/552310/

Huge news for all three branches, espically for IN's surface, and future P75i subs.

NFjSwJ5.gif

IAF

ohjRvOx.gif

IA's tree top cruise, steep dive

TYs0eYT.gif

IN's Sub Launch

B59Mqjf.gif

IN Surface
However please correct this as Bramhos will have range of 900+ km. It's only being tested for mentioned ranges in gradual/incremental steps.

how is the range increased ? Is the warhead being decreased ? Is the missile made bigger ?

Who has said it'll be 900km+? 800km is mentioned by the DRDO chief. Incremental steps of 450km -> 600km -> 800km mentioned.
https://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/03/true-brahmos-unleashed-today-next-1000-km-weapon.html

http://defenceupdate.in/brahmos-450-km-extended-range-test-fired-next-900-km-weapon/

how is the range increased ? Is the warhead being decreased ? Is the missile made bigger ?
Range increase from 290 to 450 km done by modification of software only. While further range increase will be done with hardware as well however design limits will remain same. So current hardware(launchers and UVLM cells) can be utilized for launch of new missiles as well.

IIRC, the range of the Brahmos antiship missile depends on its flight profile. Also a factor that determines range is whether one talks about surface (sea or land) launch or air launch. So, under what conditions would this 800km be achieved (type of launch, launch platform)?

Note also the difference in wording " DRDO is likely to extent the range" versus " Brahmos with a range of 800km will be ready in the next two and a half years". S. Christopher appears to be of different minds. Perhaps technically feasible in 2.5 years PROVIDED DRDO get political approval to do so, or some technical hurdle is succesfully overcome. Just my 2c worth.

Different fuel, more fuel, more efficient rocketmotor, any of these.

I have a theory, if the physical size and fuel of missile isn't changed, it looks like the missile always had the range of around 800 kms. it was suppressed to meet the obligations of international treaties and now that that hurdle doesn't exist, we have a better preview of truth.
I can't believe that just by small tweaking of software without altering anything physical, they are able to extend the range that too almost overnight.
& not that i'm complaining :pleasantry:

@Water Car Engineer @Penguin @SpArK

I have a theory, if the physical size and fuel of missile isn't changed, it looks like the missile always had the range of around 800 kms. it was suppressed to meet the obligations of international treaties and now that that hurdle doesn't exist, we have a better preview of truth.
I can't believe that just by small tweaking of software without altering anything physical, they are able to extend the range that too almost overnight.

that was always the case anant bhai.

true range of brahmos is now coming into the picture :D:D:D

IIRC, the range of the Brahmos antiship missile depends on its flight profile. Also a factor that determines range is whether one talks about surface (sea or land) launch or air launch. So, under what conditions would this 800km be achieved (type of launch, launch platform)?

Note also the difference in wording " DRDO is likely to extent the range" versus " Brahmos with a range of 800km will be ready in the next two and a half years". S. Christopher appears to be of different minds. Perhaps technically feasible in 2.5 years PROVIDED DRDO get political approval to do so, or some technical hurdle is succesfully overcome. Just my 2c worth.

Different fuel, more fuel, more efficient rocketmotor, any of these.
Sir that's the standard flight path for launch done from either ground or sea level with low-high-low path taken by missile. In low-low-low level flight path the maximum range will come down to 300 KMs approx considering standard 120 km for 290 km full range. Air launched version might have some better range but how much difference will that make, is hard to say. And yes presently this capability is not there which means it wasn't originally planned for this but platform was planned for increment in favorable conditions like we are in presently. Now DRDO had both, political backing as well as external support for range increase. Past point is not in my knowledge. Thank you.

& not that i'm complaining

Aha!
Who told you there was not any hardware change involved?
Tall claims require taller evidence!
How did you reach such conclusion?

Brahmos designed range is around 600 kms (not 800 kms). How do we know this? Just look at P-800Oniks/Yakhonts on which Brahmos is based on. The extension of range from 290 km to around 600 kms will mostly come from software changes (essentially removing the artificial limitations put in place due to MTCR) and additional fuel.

If DRDO expects range enhancement to the extent of 800 kms over the next 2 years - it is likely that a different fuel will be used. How do we know this? Look at the conceptual design of Brahmos-NG; the smaller/lighter missile is supposedly possible due to the expected use of enhanced propellant. It would not be a stretch to expect that the new propellant could make its way into the existing airframe too....

Back
Top Bottom