What's new

800km Brahmos Being Readied

Sir that's the standard flight path for launch done from either ground or sea level with low-high-low path taken by missile. In low-low-low level flight path the maximum range will come down to 300 KMs approx considering standard 120 km for 290 km full range. Air launched version might have some better range but how much difference will that make, is hard to say. And yes presently this capability is not there which means it wasn't originally planned for this but platform was planned for increment in favorable conditions like we are in presently. Now DRDO had both, political backing as well as external support for range increase. Past point is not in my knowledge. Thank you.
What is the >official< source for this statement? Is the 300km lo-lo-lo range not simply the result of dividing 800 by the original max range of 300km and multiplying the result by the original lo-lo-lo range of 120km?

Afaik there is no difference between air and shiplaunched Brahmos. Under those conditions, an airlaunched version will have a better range, as it is launched in the air at altitude at significant forward speed, whereas a shiplaunched version will have to bring itself up to speed and altitude. This burns up rocket motor fuel that does not contribute to range.
To the extent there is a seperate airlaunch version: "BrahMos Aerospace received the required financial allocations in December 2005 to begin R & D work on developing an air-launched variant of the missile. This variant will weigh about 2.5 tonnes, incorporate a smaller rocket booster, and have additional control fins for stability during launch." A smaller booster may mean a larger sustainer = range.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/a-co...ahmos-block-ii-iii.367764/page-3#post-7012906

Air-Launched+BrahMos-2.jpg

What is the >official< source for this statement? Is the 300km lo-lo-lo range not simply the result of dividing 800 by the original max range of 300km and multiplying the result by the original lo-lo-lo range of 120km?

Afaik there is no difference between air and shiplaunched Brahmos. Under those conditions, an airlaunched version will have a better range, as it is launched in the air at altitude at significant forward speed, whereas a shiplaunched version will have to bring itself up to speed and altitude. This burns up rocket motor fuel that does not contribute to range.
To the extent there is a seperate airlaunch version: "BrahMos Aerospace received the required financial allocations in December 2005 to begin R & D work on developing an air-launched variant of the missile. This variant will weigh about 2.5 tonnes, incorporate a smaller rocket booster, and have additional control fins for stability during launch." A smaller booster may mean a larger sustainer = range.
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/a-co...ahmos-block-ii-iii.367764/page-3#post-7012906

Sir no official source so far.

@All

Incidentally, just noticed in the image above: low-altitude trajectory is depicted for anti-ship mission, combined (low-high-low) for land-attack. This basically suggests an anti-ship range of 120km for the Brahmos, not 280-290km. The combined trajectory would make the missile much more susceptible to (earlier) detection and interception by ship launched surface to air missile (there is no terrain to mask the Brahmos' approach, only earth curvature.)

Who told you there was not any hardware change involved?
Thats what i believe after reading several reports, although i must admit there is no official confirmation from manufacturers.
That said, there could be minor modifications in internal layout, but it still doesn't explain almost tripling of the range.

essentially removing the artificial limitations put in place due to MTCR
Thats what i meant by my earlier post.
290 kms range limit was a clamped down value not the actual range.

Thats what i believe after reading several reports, although i must admit there is no official confirmation from manufacturers.
That said, there could be minor modifications in internal layout, but it still doesn't explain almost tripling of the range.

Thats what i meant by my earlier post.
290 kms range limit was a clamped down value not the actual range.

290 X 3 = 870 Km
Anyway, more fuel was added.

Brahmos air launched version is a complete Indian development.

Aero India 2017 seminar by Brahmos CEO: Russia asked for $ 250 mn for modifying Su-30, India said, we will do it alone.

Brahmos air launched version is a complete Indian development.
Who cares? (even if this were so: Kh-61 = Air launched ASM AGM version of P800 Oniks)

"The OKB-52 3K-55/3M-55 Yakhont (SS-N-26) is like the Moskit a complete family of supersonic rocket-ramjet missiles. Ship, submarine, air and ground launched variants exist."
"Indian promotional materials indicate guidance improvements to the Brahmos over the original design, and the intent to deploy shipboard, mobile coastal defence and air delivered variants. There has also been speculation about a land attack or dual role variant, requiring a more accurate midcourse navigation system."
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Rus-Cruise-Missiles.html#mozTocId241813

Last edited:
Who cares? (even if this were so: Kh-61 = Air launched ASM AGM version of P800 Oniks)

"The OKB-52 3K-55/3M-55 Yakhont (SS-N-26) is like the Moskit a complete family of supersonic rocket-ramjet missiles. Ship, submarine, air and ground launched variants exist."
"Indian promotional materials indicate guidance improvements to the Brahmos over the original design, and the intent to deploy shipboard, mobile coastal defence and air delivered variants. There has also been speculation about a land attack or dual role variant, requiring a more accurate midcourse navigation system."
http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-Rus-Cruise-Missiles.html#mozTocId241813

Who cares? Tax payers. :D

It saved lots of $$$.

I doubt if its just extra fuel getting the range up to 800 kms - adding extra fuel probably wouldn't take 2 years for the very first test to take place.

It probably involves a new fuel/propellant!
Probably engine. For example the JASSM missile range was 300km originally, but the new JASSM-ER increased range to 1000km without any changes to the body. Or even reducing the warhead size.

@Penguin : I remember you wrote a post on sea warfare about Brahmos and Barrack 8 SAM.
Let's assume Brahmos has low low range of 500km. Will there be change in your previous analysis???

@Penguin : I remember you wrote a post on sea warfare about Brahmos and Barrack 8 SAM.
Let's assume Brahmos has low low range of 500km. Will there be change in your previous analysis???
Could to link to the post in question?

Back
Top Bottom