What's new

5 common myths about Islam Propagated by Media

I did not claim to be more evolved. However I do consider people who need fear of hellfire as a reason to follow religions as less evolved. There is a difference between both. Remember I am not targeting Muslims here. I am sure there are many Muslims who follows the religion for the love of it. I have nothing against them. However if you try to sell your religion using fear of afterlife as a tool, that will only work with people who are mentally still not in this century.
Nobody needs fear of hellfire to follow their religion. All it does is give some sense of accountability in the future. It puts one more little 'safeguard' in place, in case someone decides to go on a mass-murder spree and then just suicide to not have to pay for it (like many of the school shooters we have seen), they will still fear hell or the afterlife. Unfortunately, some people have turned this concept on its head and used it to actually justify the exact thing it was meant to prevent. That fills me (and the majority of Muslims) with rage. But then, what can we do, If we were to go on a rampage killing terrorists, what would be the difference between us and them?

Quite the somersault there, Sir. Just as there is no Islam without Muslims, how Muslims use Islam as a political tool is clear to everyone.
So then you are agreeing that Islam is not a problem and that Muslims who use it as a political tool are? Great, that is exactly what i have been saying for hours.

There is no Islam without Muslims, sure, but there definitely is killing and politics without Islam.

The human who God entrusted with his message was a good man, one that would not corrupt it or anything. God chose him and God knows best.
There are intentional corruptions and unintentional corruptions, God chose him because God tolerated what imperfections he may have had.

The Quran says 'dress modestly'. It does not exactly prescribe anything. So no, it would not be a change to the Quran. The only criteria set by the Quran is that the dressing should be decent and modest.
According to authentic hadith, there is no need to cover one's face or anything. Only requirements are covering the head and loose-fitting, which is something we can all happily live with.
I believe the Quran says more than just 'dress modestly'. Hadith is only an interpretation of what moderate means, it is up to the individual to accept or deny this interpretation.

What are you trying to say? Please rephrase this, it doesn't make sense. Are you saying that God has already released some perfect way of life directly to mankind and we're denying it or what?
Even if that was what I meant (it wasn't) it is lost.

Exactly, I agree with you. But we're not claiming we mortals are perfect. It is our religion that is perfect, not us mortals and there is nothing wrong with believing that.
You don't even quote me properly, I was talking about your Religion.

So then you are agreeing that Islam is not a problem and that Muslims who use it as a political tool are? Great, that is exactly what i have been saying for hours.

Sir, Islam is the problem, because it enables the extremist Muslims to do what they are doing, and it is an even bigger problem because the moderates keep quiet because of it.

Nobody needs fear of hellfire to follow their religion. All it does is give some sense of accountability in the future. It puts one more little 'safeguard' in place, in case someone decides to go on a mass-murder spree and then just suicide to not have to pay for it (like many of the school shooters we have seen), they will still fear hell or the afterlife. Unfortunately, some people have turned this concept on its head and used it to actually justify the exact thing it was meant to prevent. That fills me (and the majority of Muslims) with rage. But then, what can we do, If we were to go on a rampage killing terrorists, what would be the difference between us and them?

You should check the original post by asq that I was replying to where he claimed that hellfire awaits for kafirs. I am one, so I had to respond. I was not commenting on the religion, I have very limited knowledge of that.

You should check the original post by asq that I was replying to where he claimed that hellfire awaits for kafirs. I am one, so I had to respond. I was not commenting on the religion, I have very limited knowledge of that.
My response is still valid, I'm not attacking you for responding to asq, I was simply responding to your response :D

Sir, Islam is the problem, because it enables the extremist Muslims to do what they are doing, and it is an even bigger problem because the moderates keep quiet because of it.

Sir, you must recognize that the extremists would be able to use absolutely any ideology to do what they want to do, just like the US doesn't need religion to achieve its political goals, it uses 'freedom' and 'democracy' instead, while obviously having other political intentions.
The same is true for Muslim terrorists. They don't become terrorists because of Islam, they use Islam that way because they are terrorists. If Islam never existed, people like them would still be doing exactly what they're doing now. When you look at developed Muslim countries and the fact that Muslims had a proper Golden Age while following Islam, it becomes absolutely clear that Islam is not a problem.

And moderates do not keep quiet because of it (or anything). We talk about it all the time, whether you people chose to listen or not is another matter.

There are intentional corruptions and unintentional corruptions, God chose him because God tolerated what imperfections he may have had.

I believe the Quran says more than just 'dress modestly'. Hadith is only an interpretation of what moderate means, it is up to the individual to accept or deny this interpretation.

Even if that was what I meant (it wasn't) it is lost.

You don't even quote me properly, I was talking about your Religion.

Yes, so? Like I said, God knows best. Why he chose him, well, only he would know.

Here's what the Quran says (spoiler thing to keep it neat, it's not an actual spoiler for anything :D):
In Chapter 24 known as an-Nur (the Light), in verse 30, Allah commands Prophet Muhammad as follows:

Say to the believing men that: they should cast down their glances and guard their private parts (by being chaste). This is better for them.”

This is a command to Muslim men that they should not lustfully look at women (other than their own wives); and in order to prevent any possibility of temptation, they are required to cast their glances downwards. This is known as “hijabof the eyes”.

Then in the next verse, Allah commands the Prophet to address the women:

“Say to the believing women that: they should cast down their glances and guard their private parts (by being chaste)…”

This is a similar command as given to the men in the previous verse regarding “hijab of the eyes”.

This hijab of eyes is similar to the teaching of Jesus where he says, “You have heard that it was said by them of old time, you shall not commit adultery. But I say unto you, That whosoever looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.”1 So if you see a Muslim casting his/her eyes downwards when he/she is talking to a member of opposite sex, this should not be considered as rude or an indication of lack of confidence — he/she is just abiding by the Qur’anic as well as Biblical teaching.

After “hijab of the eyes” came the order describing the dress code for women:

“...and not display their beauty except what is apparent, and they should place their khumur over their bosoms...”

There are two issues about this sentence.

(1) What is the meaning of “khumur” used in this verse?
Khumurخُمُرٌ is plural of khimarخِمَارٌ , the veil covering the head. See any Arabic dictionary like Lisanu ’l-‘Arab, Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn or al-Munjid.

Al-Munjid, which is the most popular dictionary in the Arab world, defines al-khimar as “something with which a woman conceals her head —ما تغطى به المرأة رأسها .” Fakhru ’d-Din al-Turayhi in Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn (which is a dictionary of Qur’anic and hadith terms) defines al-khimar as “scarf, and it is known as such because the head is covered with it.”2

So the word khimar, by definition, means a piece of cloth that covers the head.

(2) Then what does the clause “placing the khumur over the bosoms” mean?
According to the commentators of the Qur’an, the women of Medina in the pre-Islamic era used to put theirkhumur over the head with the two ends tucked behind and tied at the back of the neck, in the process exposing their ears and neck. By saying that, “place the khumur over the bosoms,” Almighty Allah ordered the women to let the two ends of their headgear extend onto their bosoms so that they conceal their ears, the neck, and the upper part of the bosom also.3

This is confirmed by the way the Muslim women of the Prophet’s era understood this commandment of Almighty Allah. The Sunni sources quote Ummu ’l-mu’minin ‘A’isha, the Prophet’s wife, as follows: “I have not seen women better than those of al-Ansar (the inhabitants of Medina): when this verse was revealed, all of them got hold of their aprons, tore them apart, and used them to cover their heads...”4

The meaning of khimar and the context in which the verse was revealed clearly talks about concealing the head and then using the loose ends of the scarf to conceal the neck and the bosom. It is absurd to believe that the Qur’an would use the word khimar (which, by definition, means a cloth that covers the head) only to conceal the bosom with the exclusion of the head! It would be like saying to put on your shirt only around the belly or the waist without covering the chest!

Finally the verse goes on to give the list of the mahram – male family members in whose presence the hijabis not required, such as the husband, the father, the father-in-law, the son(s), and others.

The Second Verse
In Chapter 33 known as al-Ahzab, verse 59, Allah gives the following command to Prophet Muhammad:

“O Prophet! Say toyour wives, your daughters, and the women of the believers that: they should let down upon themselves their jalabib.

What is the meaning of “jalabib”?
Jalabib جَلاَبِيْبٌ is the plural of jilbabجِلْبَابٌ , which means a loose outer garment. See any Arabic dictionary likeLisanu ’l-‘Arab, Majma‘u ’l-Bahrayn or al-Munjid.

Al-Munjid, for instance, defines jilbab as “the shirt or a wide dress—القميص أو الثوب الواسع.” While al-Turayhi, inMajma‘u ’l-Bahrayn, defines it as “a wide dress, wider than the scarf and shorter than a robe, that a woman puts upon her head and lets it down on her bosom...

Your definition of hadith is wrong. Hadiths are sayings or actions of the Holy Prophet, narrated by his companions and compiled by scholars like Imam Bukhari.

Yes, I know you were talking about my religion. The reason I quoted that specific part was because it spoke of mortals, and I agreed with that part, that mortals should not claim to be perfect. Their religion being perfect is a different thing entirely.

I said the same :ashamed:
Yaar ask vcheng :whistle:

That is why he is called a Mullah not a scholar nor a Philosopher or anything great!

Yup....You have no idea...If this continues and I had photographic memory...I swear I could become a quran hafizah at least in the ayats they keep repeating like a broken tape recorder...Good me though :ashamed:

Yeaap! But no one will point it out....instead I will be labelled everything from racist to hating the West for speaking the truth :unsure:

i cant ask , because of this evil option o PDF " ignore " .... soooo :p:

well yeah mullah remain mullah , and die as mullah .. but scholars and philosopher die as role models ..:rolleyes::angel:

well its nothing new that few peoples quote Quranic verse out of context ... if the same goes with bible , than they put the whole logical sense to it , but when it comes to Quran , their IQ level get close to Zero ..:-)

well for west , we all will remain the same as we are ... but still peoples living in US and west have many good things in them and their society , which we muslims should learn , but not from some members here on PDF ... :coffee:

1) Was Islam not revealed to a Human by a Messenger Sent by God? Are humans by nature Imperfect? Thereby Prophets are imperfect but Tolerated enough to receive Gods message indirectly through a Messenger.
2) What does the Quran command how one must moderately dress, what does a Hadith command? Is that not a Change to the Quran, one of the most important parts of Islam?
3) By stating that Islam is Perfect is a denial that the Prophet could be human, and a denial that Gods version when it is revealed Directly to Mankind if God chooses to do so, Is THE Perfect way of life.

Making such a claim of Perfection is a dangerous one, one that no mortal should claim without punishment as seen fit by God.

@Akheilos , @Hazzy997

I'm confused about what both of you are trying to imply.

@TankMan is implying Islam is perfect, I'm implying that only a God's direct revelation is perfect.

To be more accurate Islam is established as it is. And one of the important things about the Quran(revelation) is that it would remain as it is, unchanged forever. To me the statement 'Islam is perfect' doesn't make sense. Since perfection could mean many things depending on the person. For some a world with the best marijuana with no health hazards can be their idea of 'perfection'. For others moral justice, clean heart, dramaless society is 'perfection'. So I agree with you in that sense if that's what you're implying. The only only 'perfect' thing is God, he is truly fair. Our sense of fairness is limited to our capabilities, true fairness is something foriegn to us. It will shock us once we realize the degree of justice, fairness, nobleness, ,etc... that God has.

To be more accurate Islam is established as it is. And one of the important things about the Quran(revelation) is that it would remain as it is, unchanged forever. To me the statement 'Islam is perfect' doesn't make sense. Since perfection could mean many things depending on the person. For some a world with the best marijuana with no health hazards can be their idea of 'perfection'. For others moral justice, clean heart, dramaless society is 'perfection'. So I agree with you in that sense if that's what you're implying. The only only 'perfect' thing is God, he is truly fair. Our sense of fairness is limited to our capabilities, true fairness is something foriegn to us. It will shock us once we realize the degree of justice, fairness, nobleness, ,etc... that God has.
Pretty much what I was trying to get across.

Funny how Islam is claimed to be perfect, but its followers are killing each other by the thousands in the most gruesome ways imaginable.
I give you a perfect sword as a gift to be able to defend yourself, and instead you use it to scare your neighbors, and kill people you do not like. It that the fault of the sword?

Back
Top Bottom