What's new

44,000 sign petition for France to take control of Lebanon

Kailash Kumar

Reaction score
Country
Suriname
44,000 sign petition for France to take control of Lebanon

Over 44,000 people have signed an online petition to "place Lebanon under a French mandate for the next 10 years" as of Thursday afternoon.

The petition on the community petition website Avaaz was reportedly set up by Lebanese citizens on Wednesday following the explosion that rocked Beirut on Tuesday, killing over 140 people and injuring more than 5,000.

"Lebanon’s officials have clearly shown a total inability to secure and manage the country," the petition reads. "With a failing system, corruption, terrorism and militia the country has just reached its last breath."

"We believe Lebanon should go back under the French mandate in order to establish a clean and durable governance."

'Lebanese are desperate'

Dima Tarhini, from DW's Arabic department, said the petition had been circulating widely on Lebanese social media.

"That's how desperate some Lebanese are," she said. "So much has been lost from where there was already so little. They lost their homes, they lost their properties, they cannot save their children. They don't know what to do."

France controlled the Middle Eastern country from 1920 to 1945 under a mandate set up after World War I.

Macron visits Beirut

The petition was directed at French President Emmanuel Macron, who on Thursday became the first foreign leader to arrive in Beirut since the tragedy struck.

Macron warned that Lebanon will "continue to sink" without reforms as he arrived in Beirut. He promised that France will help mobilize aid for the city, which has seen billions of dollars worth of damage and destruction.

Macron told angry crowds in downtown Beirut that he would seek a new deal with political authorities.

"I guarantee you this — aid will not go to corrupt hands," Macron told protesters.

"I will talk to all political forces to ask them for a new pact. I am here today to propose a new political pact to them," he said.

Crowds protesting on Beirut’s street called for Macron to help oust the country’s leadership. Shock has quickly turned to anger in the city, with many commentators and protesters saying that corruption and incompetence among the political classes were responsible for the deadly explosion.

Prosecutors in France have opened an investigation into the explosion. At least 21 French citizens were injured and one killed in the blast.

Even before the coronavirus pandemic, Lebanon was rocked by protests with people angry with the government and economy. A recent devaluation of the currency saw many Lebanese people lose thousands of dollars in savings.

https://www.dw.com/en/44000-sign-petition-for-france-to-take-control-of-lebanon/a-54462136

Alleged treason aside... I would also like to take this opportunity and request the British Government to clean up the mess they left in the middle of the subcontinent, that is to embark upon to the wastelands, and finally unclog the seven decade old organic matter that has been stinking up the neigbourhood ever since, heck perhaps we might even get some greenie points from the climate folks.

Last edited:
7D8oSpbS3Fvx2r2OizaV3nLCqVvuO6h3HVfOXpSP5NI_xuwhcbkgnnFPiUoFWDKALnl4S42f9zX2JYCZOHC3mdDFUYjJVv0QFNmAvZrG9DFiYZ0UzxCNRTyhQ2bXGtR41LDlr3NCrKcn4dw9cXmaohMKznLGBYB4vBs

Looks like the French want to go back to their colonial days. Kill as many Muslims as possible. Steal their land and resources. Throw them off the cliffs. Play football with dead bodies. India would be a very good partner for France. Oh wait, both are already sucking each other.

You have to look of the history of Lebanon to understand the strong links between the two countries. After the partition of the Ottoman empire,Lebanon became de facto a French protectorate and France was considered as the protector of christians in the middle east.

There's still a strong French influence in Lebanon,culture,language etc. especially among the Christian community,who's stuck between Sunnis who are under the influence of the gulf countries and shias who are under the influence of Iran.

You can't blame Lebanese seeking extreme alternatives when you see what their country has become. A failed nation,with a fully corrupted political class and a country destroyed by foreign influences in a game of chess.

I wouldn't be against my country providing asylum and refuge to the Lebanese.

Last edited:
Arabs have lost their marbles fail to understand who is their friend or foe. What low they have to sink to realise the meaning of dignity, respect and self esteem.

A BPC Mistral will reach Lebanon next thursday with humanitarian,medical supplies and medical teams.

Dp23rm4X4AA_2oX.jpg

Each vessel of the class has 750m² of modern hospital facilities (NATO Role 3 medical facility) consisting in:

• two operating rooms
  • an x-ray room
  • a dental office
  • a scanner
  • 20 rooms and 69 hospitalization beds, of which 7 are fit for intensive care
  • 50 more beds can be installed in the helicopter hangar if needed.

Back
Top Bottom