What's new

26 shots that sent Pakistan over the edge

Why are Indians discussing Pakistan's internal affairs. Please go and feed the 440+ million Indians living below the poverty line. If you spend too much time on PDF China may take more land in AP and staple visas faster while you are not looking.

It's in their blood pretty much. They say that Pakistan doesn't concern them, yet they follow Pakistan's internal affairs almost as closely as India's, and have a LOT to say on it. As somebody said, actions speak louder than words.

Btw, I don't refer to all Indians obviously.

Last edited:
The key here is public support. The co-called notion of Saffron Terror is rejected in India. The point is not how many support it or how many reject it. The point is those who reject it are stronger that those who accept it. This is where i find a stark difference in Pakistan. I am pretty sure that there is a minority who support assassiantion of Taseer but unfortunately this minority is very strong.

Sorry to jump in but the difference with Pakistan, as SMC and others have pointed out, is that the Pakistani public is under a siege mentality. They see the GWOT and general global climate as being arrayed against Islam in general and Pakistan in particular. I have to say I feel the same way.

In that context, people become defensive about Islam. It doesn't help that our liberal progressives, in their zeal to distance themselves from the conspiracy crowd, tend to go to the other extreme and blame Pakistan (army) for everything. This 'blame Pakistan first' crowd has no credibility with the masses because they invariably parrot the Western line and are perceived as a bunch of wannabes.

It is very hard to find mainstream centrist voices that stand up to the mullahs on the one hand, and whose patriotic credentials are also top notch. These people do exist, but they are few and far between.

^ True. And what's important to notice is that this isn't just the case in Pakistan. Some Indians like to point out that this is some sort of a thing that's unique to Pakistan. It's true for muslim countries in the region.

^ True. And what's important to notice is that this isn't just the case in Pakistan. Some Indians like to point out that this is some sort of a thing that's unique to Pakistan. It's true for muslim countries in the region.

But Pakistan is unique in that we are in the GWOT crosshairs (along with Afghanistan). Also, because of our nuclear weapons and the West's China-India game, we tick all the wrong boxes for them.

This is not a doom and gloom scenario. Just because the West is not enamored by us doesn't mean we have to get in bed with the religious extreme. We need to keep our head clear and steer a middle course where the only compass needed is our long term national interests.

It's in their blood pretty much. They say that Pakistan doesn't concern them, yet they follow Pakistan's internal affairs almost as closely as India's, and have a LOT to say on it. As somebody said, actions speak louder than words.

Btw, I don't refer to all Indians obviously.

You do realise people come to online forums not because they are concerned with the topic but because they are curious and want to know more? Its not like we have donation boxes in shops in India targetting pakistan or that we even discuss pakistan in drawing rooms (except probably families having their ppl on the border). the common man is not at all concerned.

It is very hard to find mainstream centrist voices that stand up to the mullahs on the one hand, and whose patriotic credentials are also top notch. These people do exist, but they are few and far between.

Can you name any such people that I'd like to follow.

While i do understand why liberals don't get mass support, i've not really heard anyone centrist in pakistan. maybe ppp come close but people hate them with a vengeance.

Last edited:
Can you name any such people that I'd like to follow.

To be honest, I don't follow Pakistani politics all that closely, but the first name that comes to mind is Imran Khan. He has legitimacy across most ethnic groups, moderate mullahs, young people, and the urban middle class.

In terms of opinion makers and established politcians, I like what I hear from Sherry Rahman (a tad center-left perhaps) and Riaz Khokhar, as in this video: http://www.defence.pk/forums/strate...68-pakistan-running-out-bargaining-chips.html

I am sure there are others, but at least these people don't sound apologetic every time they mention the word Pakistan, like some of our more extreme liberals.

You do realise people come to online forums not because they are concerned with the topic but because they are curious and want to know more? Its not like we have donation boxes in shops in India targetting pakistan or that we even discuss pakistan in drawing rooms (except probably families having their ppl on the border). the common man is not at all concerned.

So you want to know more about a topic which you're not concerned about at all? How people behave online is really how they are deep inside. The fact that they keep discussing everything Pakistan tells a lot about them.

So you want to know more about a topic which you're not concerned about at all? How people behave online is really how they are deep inside. The fact that they keep discussing everything Pakistan tells a lot about them.

What? That we want a stable neighbor in order to stop terrorism?

Ironically despite all the warning the so called "talibanization" is creeping more into the minds of certain minorities rather than the two main stream sects of Pakistan ie: sunnis and shia..so its is very much a suspicious matter with foreign involement..so far all efforts to pitch two mainstream sects against each other has failed. Its about time we stop connecting this to religion and view it as a pure political and terrorism implication with involvement of foreign powers.

An Islamic revolution it seems

pakistan-00-06.png

Gone are my views about a "few" radicals nutjobs and a liberal majority in Pakistan (dunno why I didn't see this survey earlier)

That pewglobal photo is misleading, false and a fabrication. Perhaps it could be representative of a particular part in Afghanistan (Kandahar) or one/two ME Arab Sheikhdoms, but remember that Pakistan and India being part of the south east asian subcontinent, have generic roots of pluralism, acceptance and tolerance. The so called Hindu or Islamic revolution are self serving concepts floated by self serving interests. Both have been rejected by the main stream public opinions.

Back
Top Bottom