What's new

22 killed in US missile strike in N Waziristan

Metallic

Reaction score
Friday, January 23, 2009

PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) – A suspected U.S. drone fired three missiles into Pakistan's North Waziristan region on the Afghan border on Friday, intelligence officials said, in the first such strike since Barack Obama became U.S. president.

"According to initial information, five militants including foreigners were killed," said one of the intelligence officials.

The missiles hit a house in a village 2 km (1 mile) west of the town of Mir Ali, the officials said.

"Three bodies have been retrieved but I fear there will be more under the rubble," Rehman Wazir, a villager at the site of the attack, told Reuters by telephone.

Frustrated over what it sees as Pakistan's failure to stem the flow of al Qaeda and Taliban militants from its lawless tribal regions into Afghanistan, the United States stepped up cross-border attacks last year.

It carried out about 30 attacks on suspected militants with missiles fired by pilotless drones in 2008, according to a Reuters tally, more than half after the beginning of September.

The attacks have killed more than 220 people, including foreign militants, according to a tally of reports from Pakistani intelligence agents, district government officials and residents.

Pakistan objects to the attacks, saying they are a violation of its territory and undermine its efforts to tackle militants.

It had hoped the new U.S. administration would review the policy although during his election campaign Obama had spoken of the possibility of strikes into Pakistan.

(Reporting by Alamgir Bitani; Editing by Robert Birsel and Sugita Katyal)

Archive picture of an American MQ-9 Reaper Hunter/Killer UAV:

Last edited:
Yes, 5 killed, but did they hit their TARGET?
That's the thing i'm concerned about, it's bad enough that the U.S. violates our sovereignty with these attacks, let alone when innocent civilians die due to those strikes.

well even if they didnt achieve anything with this strike, they ll come up with a name which no one would have ever heard of

well this is the first drone strike under the obama admn. so far no change in this unpopular policy that is actually giving results. many "high value targets" of al-qaeda and taliban are being eliminated.

well this is the first drone strike under the obama admn. so far no change in this unpopular policy that is actually giving results. many "high value targets" of al-qaeda and taliban are being eliminated.
Then why people are opposing this...

he is being sarcastic
No sir
But I have to admit that I wanted to know whether you think it is good or bad for pakistan in long term..
I personally think these attacks are nothing but surgeries and are good for future of pakistan...

No sir
But I have to admit that I wanted to know whether you think it is good or bad for pakistan in long term..
I personally think these attacks are nothing but surgeries and are good for future of pakistan...

i have PMed you my reasons!

***UPDATE***

Suspected US missile strike kills 10 in Pakistan
23 January 2009

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan – Missiles fired from a suspected U.S. spy plane killed ten people Friday in Pakistan just east of the Afghan border, a lawless region where al-Qaida militants are known to hide out, security officials said.

At least five of the dead were identified as foreign militants, an intelligence officer said.

The strike was the first on Pakistani territory since the inauguration of President Barrack Obama, but the latest in a barrage of more than 30 since the middle of last year.

Pakistan's pro-U.S. leaders had expressed hope Obama would halt the attacks, which have reportedly killed several top al-Qaida operatives but triggered anger at the government by nationalist and Muslim critics.

Islamabad routinely protests the strikes in the northwest as a violation of the country's sovereignty, but most observers speculate it has an unwritten agreement allowing them to take place, noting it would be highly damaging to be seen as colluding with Washington in attacks on its people.

One drone fired three missiles into the village of Zharki in North Waziristan, hitting two buildings over the space of 10 minutes, the security officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

At least 10 people were killed, they said. Their names were not released.

The United States rarely acknowledges firing the missiles, which are mostly fired from drones believed launched from neighboring Afghanistan, but there is little doubt it is responsible.

Washington is pressing Pakistan to crackdown on militants in the border, which it blames for rising attacks on Western troops in Afghanistan as well as violence within Pakistan.

Earlier Friday, a suicide attack and a roadside bomb killed two soldiers and three civilians in the Swat Valley, a one-time tourist destination close to the border region, officials said.

Pakistan has launched military offensives in parts of the northwest , but insurgents are making inroads Swat, blowing up schools, killing police and soldiers and calling for the imposition of a hardline interpretation of Islamic law.

Militancy in Swat is seen as especially dangerous for Pakistan because the valley lies away from the areas where al-Qaida and the Taliban have traditionally operated.

An indication of the difficulties facing the government, more than 1,000 hard-liners demonstrated in the capital, saying there would only be peace in Swat and other frontier regions if the government severs its ties with the United States.

"The lawlessness cannot end until the end of the pro-America policy," one speaker told the crowd gathered close to the Parliament building in Islamabad.

By MUNIR AHMAD, Associated Press Writer

Last edited:
"i have PMed you my reasons!"

I cry fowl (as in "CHICKEN!!!)!:lol:

No sir

tell me out of the total kills, how many were actually militants????
more than 75% were innocent. now relatives of those who get killed will rise and start fighting against both pak army and americans in afghanistan. this is wat has been happening both in afghanistan and pakistan.
u kill innocent and their relatives rise against u. then u label them as taliban which justifies their killing.
i really dont wanna say this but let me ask u a question. if someone kills ur whole family infront of u and u know who did that, wat will u do???? if this happens to me i will definately not care about my life coz my lif is my family. today im studyin only bec i want to buy luxury for my family in future. if someone kills my family today and i dont take revenge, i wont be able to walk on this earth with my head high. ill see myself as only a coward.
this is wat i am sayin being a punjabi. now a pathan will only take steps in the direction which leads to the killer or else he wont walk.
there is no end to this war. we are fighting those who have already stopped living. this western world should stop confusing us with them. we never lived in the luxury which they live in. our way of thinkin is different. we will face their tanks with stones in our hands if they say something to our families.

more than 75% were innocent. now relatives of those who get killed will rise and start fighting against both pak army and americans in afghanistan. this is wat has been happening both in afghanistan and pakistan.
u kill innocent and their relatives rise against u. then u label them as taliban which justifies their killing.
i really dont wanna say this but let me ask u a question. if someone kills ur whole family infront of u and u know who did that, wat will u do???? if this happens to me i will definately not care about my life coz my lif is my family. today im studyin only bec i want to buy luxury for my family in future. if someone kills my family today and i dont take revenge, i wont be able to walk on this earth with my head high. ill see myself as only a coward.
this is wat i am sayin being a punjabi. now a pathan will only take steps in the direction which leads to the killer or else he wont walk.
there is no end to this war. we are fighting those who have already stopped living. this western world should stop confusing us with them. we never lived in the luxury which they live in. our way of thinkin is different. we will face their tanks with stones in our hands if they say something to our families.
This is lame excuse.America clearly asked Talibans to give Osama Bin Laden but they did not give OBL so it's Taliban fault.

more than 75% were innocent.

can u confirm your very accurate colleteral damage estimates!

Back
Top Bottom