What's new

2036 Summer Olympic Bidding

Indos

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
This is thread to discuss and update about 2036 Summer Olympic Hosting country competition

Seoul Mayor Oh meets with IOC chief in Lausanne to promote Seoul's bid for 2036 Olympics​

All News 11:15 October 26, 2022
SHARE LIKE SAVE PRINT
FONT SIZE

SEOUL, Oct. 26 (Yonhap) -- Seoul Mayor Oh Se-hoon has met with International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach in Lausanne, Switzerland, and promoted his city's bid to host the 2036 Summer Olympics.

The meeting took place Monday (Swiss time) at the IOC headquarters, Olympic House, as Oh was visiting the Swiss city to attend an annual meeting of the World Union of Olympic Cities as part of his 11-day trip to Europe.

City officials said the Seoul mayor voiced the city's "strong will" to host the 2036 Olympics during the meeting, saying hosting the games again nearly half a century after the 1988 Seoul Olympics would create a great deal of synergy.

He also outlined the city's ongoing 2.1 trillion-won (US$1.46 billion) project to build a large-scale sports and entertainment complex in southeastern Seoul, saying the complex can be used as an instrumental facility for the 2036 Olympics.

Bach responded that Seoul appears to be prepared to host an Olympics, referring to his recent visit to Seoul and briefings he received on the project.

Bach came to Seoul last week to attend a general meeting of the Association of National Olympic Committees. He and Oh had met twice during the event in Seoul.

The South Korean capital is pushing to host the 2036 Summer Olympics alone since its previous bid to co-host the 2032 Summer Olympics with the North Korean capital Pyongyang fizzled out.

According to the officials, China, India, Indonesia, Qatar and Turkey have so far expressed plans to join the race to host the 2036 games, with many other nations, including Germany, Hungary, Russia and Spain, also showing interest.

On the possibility of joining hands with North Korea to launch a bid to co-host the Olympics, a city official said Seoul will remain open to the option although the possibility of co-hosting the event is highly uncertain due to the strained inter-Korean relations.

1666777931746.png

This photo provided by the Seoul city government shows Seoul Mayor Oh Se-hoon (L) shaking hands with International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach during their meeting at Olympic House in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Oct. 24, 2022. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

I hope Indonesia wins and I hope it will be Jakarta-Palembang that is endorsed by Indonesian government like previous Asian Games 2018 hosted by Indonesia. We dont need to make new sport complex and athletes housing as we have already built them for 2018 Asian Games. So it will be just promoting the country and city, no big investment needed anymore I believe.

No former hosts please….Give other nations a chance.

South Korea really like to host these huge international events.

According to the officials, China, India, Indonesia, Qatar and Turkey have so far expressed plans to join the race to host the 2036 games, with many other nations, including Germany, Hungary, Russia and Spain, also showing interest.
China again? which city.

而中国方面更是有上海,广州,南京,西安,成都,深圳,大连,济南,厦门,郑州,武汉,苏州12个城市有意向参与竞选。
Crazy... 12 Chinese cities tend to apply, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Nanjing, XI'an, Chengdu, Shenzhen, Dalian, Jinan, Xiamen, Zhengzhou, Wuhan, Suzhou.

No Beijing.

China again? which city.

Crazy... 12 Chinese cities tend to apply, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Nanjing, XI'an, Chengdu, Shenzhen, Dalian, Jinan, Xiamen, Zhengzhou, Wuhan, Suzhou.

No Beijing.

Why not Hangzhou ?

China again? which city.

No Beijing.
Beijing had its turns.

No former hosts please….Give other nations a chance.

Yup, now developing country should get the 2036 hosting

Jakabering sport complex Palembang (South Sumatra) for women football, skateboard, water sport etc

And Jakarta for many sport competition from athletic basketball, swimming, BMX race, badminton, etc

Men football

Indonesia Arena is on construction

Last edited:
China again? which city.

No Beijing.
How about Hong Kong and Guangzhou? It would be interesting to see the further integration of the cities in the pearl river delta region through a maglev train network.

Although It would probably be best if it went to New Delhi. My reasoning is that the 2008 Beijing Olympics enticed the Chinese government to focus on the pollution problem, and equally, if the games go to Delhi it would force them to clean up their pollution mess, which would also have a domino effect of the entire region cutting their pollution.

The level of pollution is such that it is probably even contributing to extra glacial melt and harms all of Asia and the world.

So for the sake of incentivizing the Indians to get their act together, the games should go to Delhi. Give them the lollipop and get long lasting regional environmental benefits out of it.

How about Hong Kong and Guangzhou? It would be interesting to see the further integration of the cities in the pearl river delta region through a maglev train network.

Although It would probably be best if it went to New Delhi. My reasoning is that the 2008 Beijing Olympics enticed the Chinese government to focus on the pollution problem, and equally, if the games go to Delhi it would force them to clean up their pollution mess, which would also have a domino effect of the entire region cutting their pollution.

The level of pollution is such that it is probably even contributing to extra glacial melt and harms all of Asia and the world.

So for the sake of incentivizing the Indians to get their act together, the games should go to Delhi. Give them the lollipop and get long lasting regional environmental benefits out of it.
Last time New Dehli applied, it was turned down by IOC before bidding becos they think India was too filthy and couldnt provide facilities up to the standards required for Olympics as was the case with the Commonwealth Games there, too many cracks showed up and the facilities were not up to the standards. If India apply this time, it likely will be turned down again at the initial stage before bidding becos I think IOC doesnt trust Indias ability to host the games and wont take the gamble.

Last time

Last time New Dehli applied, it was turned down by IOC before bidding becos they think India was too filthy and couldnt provide facilities up to the standards required for Olympics as was the case with the Commonwealth Games there, too many cracks showed up and the facilities were not up to the standards. If India apply this time, it likely will be turned down again at the initial stage before bidding becos I think IOC doesnt trust Indias ability to host the games and wont take the gamble.
I was just about to go back and add that to my post. If India gets the Olympics, they will build the best they can, and if it falls short it will be bad for the Olympics brand as well as shine a light on Indian construction in general to the whole world.

If Indian construction falls short it will be a legacy that may take a generation for them to disprove. Hence, why I say, let them have the Olympics.

At the very least it will force them to clean up as best they can, and that is the real long term benefit for the region and the world.

Besides, not many people watch the Olympics anymore. At best, people just track the medal count.

Yup, now developing country should get the 2036 hosting

Jakabering sport complex Palembang (South Sumatra) for women football, skateboard, water sport etc

And Jakarta for many sport competition from athletic basketball, swimming, BMX race, badminton, etc

Men football

Indonesia Arena is on construction

I'm backing Indonesia inshallah.

Back
Top Bottom