What's new

2016 Russian tank contests start

I am not an expert on mechanics. Just speak on behalf on my limited knowledge on transmission and steering.

The steering mechanics of the tank is very different from the car. For a car, steering is completely separate from the transmission thing. However,a tank steers by varying the speeding of one of its two tracks. The steering and transmissions are usually coupled. Russian Tanks (T72, T90, probably T14) use the mechanical transmission which has two planetary gearboxs to adjust the speed of two tracks. This type of steering is primitive and unergonomic. The driver steers the tank by applying the two levels that control the motion of the tracks the same way the people drive the tractors. The turning radius is fixed based on the driving speed because of the planetary gearbox design. Inexperienced drivers of russian tanks flip over the tanks frequently due to slight misoperation. The Chinese tanks are not fundamentally different (Type 96 and Type 99)

Germans first introduced the hydro-mechanical transmissions HSWL 354 on their leopard II, which comes with a torque converter like modern car. Its based on fancy electro-hydraulics that allows better control of torque output on the tracks, resulting in much more superior maneuverability, stability, traction control, and efficiency. This design became the benchmark of modern western tanks. Not until recently, we are able some of our new export tanks (VT-4) are equipped with this transmission. Many spectate that 96B is also using tthis powertrain given the same exhaust grille and engine layout. Hopefully its true.

A leapard doing what is called a drift. The tank basically spun out and leapard tanks almost always have rubber blocks on their treads.

Moreover, a T-72 does have a hydraulic transmission, so much for all the nonsense you have been spewing.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/t-72-design-3.htm

"The 580 kW engine through the hydraulic transmission can accelerate it to speeds of 50-60 km per hour."

What is a "steering T-72"? You seem to have a hard time digesting the fact that I posted T-72 making that same turn without issue. Something that is impossible according to you.

In other words you can't argue in a technical manner so you repeat the same nonsense that has been dubunked, forget about basic driving you probably never driven anything in your life let alone know anything about how vehicles, tracked or wheeled performs.

The argument has nothing to do with slowing down. This is where you are completely either confused or down right think everyone is stupid. The reason the T-72 spung out on that turn was because of a slick surface and not because of transmission.

Let me ask you, how did other T-72 make that turn? Did they install these magical "hydraulic transmissions"?

You're entire argument falls apart here because what you claim a T-72 can't do is proven wrong.

I posted a Leapard that spung out. According to your claim this is impossible with the transmission it has :lol:

No they dont, stop BSing, the inner track disengages. There is no breaking.

You are slow, that is what's wrong. If a car slides off a road sideways and hits gravel, it will usually flip over because of the sudden deceleration and inertia.

Basic physics, nothing to do with transmissions. I feel like I'm arguing with a 7 year old.

Don't let the door hit your *** on the way out.

Oh my god. What caused this ?

I guess, it's been broken by "escarp". Almost vertical wall.

Escarp as an example.
DSC_3707.jpg

from 2015
DSC_5013.jpg

oQeGR.gif

Anyway, the Tank Biathlon as the part of International Army games become more and more popular. More countries joining to competitions each year.

我脚得还能跑会???Is this a direct google translation?
我脚得还能跑会=》
脚得=觉得

t72 too have many problems and changed tanks during the race, however, it is not so dramatic as this 109.
4 t72 could not move during the finals

I guess, it's been broken by "escarp". Almost vertical wall.

Escarp as an example.
DSC_3707.jpg

from 2015
DSC_5013.jpg

oQeGR.gif

Anyway, the Tank Biathlon as the part of International Army games become more and more popular. More countries joining to competitions each year.

Good experience for China, now we know what we need to improve our tank

The wheel lost means the tank games in Alabino is hard and intensive for tank when running for 12 circles within 2hours and all kinds of obstacle.
And from this arena we can imagine Soviet Union's Iron curtain. How Soviet union was planning to use its tanks. It shows the big difference between Russians' and west-countries' mind about warfare. During cold war Soviet Union assumed the offensive in Europe especially before 1980s. They need tanks for mobile warfare,easy to repaeir and produce massively, so that they could crash down NATO 's defence line as quickly as they could. so we see T72 is not expensive and reliable in most of the time. while west-countries are more defensive so they designed tanks with better amor and better fire control system( although T80's amor was even better than most western tanks back then until M1A1HA and challenger2).
I think what tank biathlon 2016 showing us is that after participating 2 years of this game, Type 96 series upgraded alot. As a tank positioning like T72 in PLA army, Type 96 not only keeps its advantages like inexpensive and easy to produce, it also trying to catch up with some western tank characteristics like manuervebility and accurite. And its reliablity improves a lot since 2014tank biathlon. And for T72, although it is an old equipment,the tank biathlon proves that it is a war-machine and still can work. besides,it is spot goods. Russia has alot T72s ready for selling.

The wheel lost means the tank games in Alabino is hard and intensive for tank when running for 12 circles within 2hours and all kinds of obstacle.
And from this arena we can imagine Soviet Union's Iron curtain. How Soviet union was planning to use its tanks. It shows the big difference between Russians' and west-countries' mind about warfare. During cold war Soviet Union assumed the offensive in Europe especially before 1980s. They need tanks for mobile warfare,easy to repaeir and produce massively, so that they could crash down NATO 's defence line as quickly as they could. so we see T72 is not expensive and reliable in most of the time. while west-countries are more defensive so they designed tanks with better amor and better fire control system( although T80's amor was even better than most western tanks back then until M1A1HA and challenger2).
I think what tank biathlon 2016 showing us is that after participating 2 years of this game, Type 96 series upgraded alot. As a tank positioning like T72 in PLA army, Type 96 not only keeps its advantages like inexpensive and easy to produce, it also trying to catch up with some western tank characteristics like manuervebility and accurite. And its reliablity improves a lot since 2014tank biathlon. And for T72, although it is an old equipment,the tank biathlon proves that it is a war-machine and still can work. besides,it is spot goods. Russia has alot T72s ready for selling.

Sure it can run well for T-72 but its fire control and accuracy proves a lot to be desired. I am quite sure, the night fighting capabilities is also not that adequate.

Last edited:
http://www.bilibili.com/video/av5807733/

detailed video of how lost the wheel, and still ran fast and shot.

maybe hurted during the race:
109:
View attachment 325932

What is amazing is the Type 096 despite losing a sprocket in its wheels and can still continue to function?
Not bad for survivability in a real battle scanario.

In the case of a Japanese Tank incidence during an exhibition display, the tank was completely immobilized as the track plates came apart.

Back
Top Bottom