What's new

2013 has been India's most disastrous foreign policy year in a very long time

Indo-guy

Reaction score
Country
India
2013 has been India's most disastrous foreign policy year in a very long time by Globespotting : Indrani Bagchi's blog-The Times Of India

Thank heavens this year is done. In 2013, we stiffed our friends, failed to deliver as a global power, and frankly, our neighbourhood is worse off. For Indian foreign policy, this has been the most painful year in a very long time, because it exposed the lack of political leadership at a time when it was sorely needed.
Sri Lanka, arguably India's best friend in this region and a really important pillar of India's national project of expanding its strategic space was let down spectacularly by India. PM Manmohan Singh cravenly gave oxy-gen to narrow interests when he refused to attend CHOGM. By persistently voting against Sri Lanka at forums we would slam in a heartbeat if they targeted New Delhi, India has shown quite comprehensively it cannot be relied upon as a partner.
New Delhi hasn't been honest enough to admit that the fishermen problem is because Indian fishermen are crossing the boundary, Indian fishermen engage in environmentally degrading fishing practices. Sri Lanka is ripe for picking by China, and we helped it. Our policy on Sri Lanka is being dictated by Tamil diaspora pressure groups, though we would scream bloody murder if others chose to leverage Sikh or Mirpuri diaspora against India.
Sheikh Hasina in Bangladesh is fighting one of the biggest battles of her life. She has staked much on the India relationship and done much to take out terror cells that threaten both Bangladesh and India. India had made Bangladesh a big project and our officials spread out Indian goodies for Dhaka. But New Delhi failed at the heavy lifting — PM could not convince the Assamese or Bengalis that a land boundary pact with Dhaka was in India's interest. This will hurt the only constituency in Bangladesh we want to save.
And yes, just before elections must be the best time to stiff Bhutan. Weeks before its July elections, India, for a reason no one yet understands, stopped subsidising kerosene and cooking gas. It may have been just incompetence, but everyone believes India was punishing Jigme Thinley for an "independent" foreign policy, particularly his outreach to China. What were we smoking?
Hamid Karzai has depended on India in ways the world cannot imagine. As he stumbles into the great unknown of 2014, where he will be battling Pak-sponsored terrorists without Nato, he now knows he cannot actually depend on India to give him the weapons he needs. The government is reportedly worried about what Pakistan would think!
In his decade as PM, Manmohan Singh has never been able to convince India that his Pakistan policy was more than about a personal visit to the land of his birth. So we cut off talks periodically, because the government believes the only other option is war. This is lazy policymaking. Thankfully, Pakistan, mostly its own worst enemy, regularly lets India off the hook.
The fact that we apparently get caught off-guard by events in our immediate neighbourhood cannot be good. Maldives is a case in point, where we scrambled to get them to hold a credible election, losing a massive Indian investment by GMR on the way. We even promoted a suboptimal envoy from Male to consul-general in New York, where as boss to Devyani Khobragade, his lack of leadership has been stunning to say the least.
L'affaire Khobragade was only the latest blow to the US-India relationship which has been on the skids for some time now. Barack Obama's stunted vision and India's political paralysis have proved to be an unbeatable combination in killing much of what was achieved between Singh and Bush.
In 2005, a visibly elated Manmohan Singh told us on his way back from Washington, "The nuclear deal will be as important for India as the economic reforms were." As his government collapses in a heap, it's the same nuclear deal that has caused much of India's troubles with the world. The nuclear liability law succeeded in strangling nuclear investment from not only the US. Russia, India's oldest pal, hit Singh with supplier liability clause and the French are making similar noises. Meanwhile, India's own nuclear industry is choking to death because they find it impossible to meet the liability provisions. The US can take heart — it isn't just them we're after.
There are rays of light, and they were all in Asia. Despite the Depsang incursion, which may be described as a low point, the incident showed that India could hold its own against Chinese grand strategy. It also exposed internal differences within China's monolithic set-up, always a good thing for neighbours. A third consequence of China's strange actions, in Ladakh and East China Sea, is the beneficial effect it has on the India-Japan relationship.
This was the year when the India-Japan relationship took flight. The emperor's visit to India has a significance way beyond the commonplace. Japan will continue to regard India through a US prism, but that's fine. In his more loquacious moments, PM described the Japan relationship as "transformational". India needs Japan by its side as it transforms itself both as a nation, an economy and as a global power. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will be India's chief guest on Republic Day, a wonderful opportunity for India to show that it can walk the talk on a vital investment.

More to come in the coming years as India spreads its wings so to speak.

There is a saying," Try to run before learning to walk."

The outcome is obvious.

More to come in the coming years as India spreads its wings so to speak.

There is a saying," Try to run before learning to walk."

The outcome is obvious.

"Try to run before learning to walk ??? "

Try to think before you talk .....!!! Will you ? I know you can't ...but do give it a try ....

It will save you some self -inflicted embarrassment ....!!!

2013 has been India's most disastrous foreign policy year in a very long time

True that. It's all self inflicted.

It is similar to the reactions demonstared by India's Gov't over the US-stationed Indian diplomat.

I always thought that India has a calm FP, but after this, I don't think it is, not anymore.

The reply was well deserved , no special treatment for Americans while they treat us with no respect ....

It is similar to the reactions demonstared by India's Gov't over the US-stationed Indian diplomat.

I always thought that India has a calm FP, but after this, I don't think it is, not anymore.

Calm doesn't mean meek.

We expect our govt to uphold the interests and welfare of its employees. Protocols like diplomatic immunity and vienna conventions exist because we expect everybody to follow them, even uncle sam. Expect us to act firmly when such time honoured codes are violated. Today a diplomat from the UAE was held in mumbai for molesting a woman; we did not arrest him, honouring his immunity. We will of course see to it that he gets punished by his country, or here, following all protocols.

By the way what demonstrations did you see the Indian govt do, other than what is expected of any well behaved govt? Did you see any nasty comments or hostile action by anybody in power? Did India take tit for tat measures like arresting US diplomats or their families for things that may be illegal in India, although we could? All that India did was to withdraw some priviledges that were given to american diplomats in India, but not to Indian diplomats in the USA, citing the principle of reciprocity. IMO such priviledges should not have been given in the first place. The comments by Indians here on PDF is not indicative of the GoI's reaction. The govt is trying to persuade the US to see the folly of its ways in prosecuting somebody who is not bound by the laws of their land, and sending our diplomat the best legal representation at our disposal. Should the US pursue their case against her, India will gather all its legal ammunition and argue on her behalf in court. That is what civilized countries do, and that is what we are doing.

Our official response has been perfectly calm and measured, and you will realize that if you stop conflating calmness with unresponsiveness. If you expected India not to take up the issue, but simply to let US have their way with our diplomat, well India is not pakistan or some other country that the US can treat with disdain. We treat every country as equal partners forr tradre and friendship, no matter how much richer or stronger or poorer or weaker they may be than us. Whether we deal with USA or Russia or China or Iran or Israel or Arab countries, we always operate with reciprocity, and not as big brother or little one.

On topic, typical hyperbolic bluster from ToI.

Calm doesn't mean meek.

We expect our govt to uphold the interests and welfare of its employees. Protocols like diplomatic immunity and vienna conventions exist because we expect everybody to follow them, even uncle sam. Expect us to act firmly when such time honoured codes are violated. Today a diplomat from the UAE was held in mumbai for molesting a woman; we did not arrest him, honouring his immunity. We will of course see to it that he gets punished by his country, or here, following all protocols.

By the way what demonstrations did you see the Indian govt do, other than what is expected of any well behaved govt? Did you see any nasty comments or hostile action by anybody in power? Did India take tit for tat measures like arresting US diplomats or their families for things that may be illegal in India, although we could? All that India did was to withdraw some priviledges that were given to american diplomats in India, but not to Indian diplomats in the USA, citing the principle of reciprocity. IMO such priviledges should not have been given in the first place. The comments by Indians here on PDF is not indicative of the GoI's reaction. The govt is trying to persuade the US to see the folly of its ways in prosecuting somebody who is not bound by the laws of their land, and sending our diplomat the best legal representation at our disposal. Should the US pursue their case against her, India will gather all its legal ammunition and argue on her behalf in court. That is what civilized countries do, and that is what we are doing.

Our official response has been perfectly calm and measured, and you will realize that if you stop conflating calmness with unresponsiveness. If you expected India not to take up the issue, but simply to let US have their way with our diplomat, well India is not pakistan or some other country that the US can treat with disdain. We treat every country as equal partners forr tradre and friendship, no matter how much richer or stronger or poorer or weaker they may be than us. Whether we deal with USA or Russia or China or Iran or Israel or Arab countries, we always operate with reciprocity, and not as big brother or little one.

When it comes to the Indian diplomat being charged in the US, Indian government is not responsible for not quickly hire the best lawyers for her. The best way to free this diplomat is to fight and win in the court. And India does not seem to care about winning the court battle.

Calm doesn't mean meek.

Not when someone violates the labor laws in NY. Not to mention filling out inaccurate pieces of info.

We expect our govt to uphold the interests and welfare of its employees.

True, but not at the expense of the local laws i.e. when someone breaks the law, he ought to be accountable, either wise there is no point for abiding by the law.

Protocols like diplomatic immunity and vienna conventions exist because we expect everybody to follow them, even uncle sam.

Diplomatic immunity doesn't essentially cover every single aspect of life per diplomat whilst living in foreign countries. The charges pressed against this young lady is in no way related to her job. I do know this as a matter of fact as I was stationed in the UK. Despite the fact that I was holding a diplomatic passport, I wasn't given an immunity. Another fact we should take into consideration is the kind of job the lady is doing - as I understand her post was somewhat related to an administrative job.

Expect us to act firmly when such time honoured codes are violated.

I expect all rational " acting " states on world stages to act accordingly with the codes and ethics.

Today a diplomat from the UAE was held in mumbai for molesting a woman; we did not arrest him, honouring his immunity. We will of course see to it that he gets punished by his country, or here, following all protocols.

I don't think this has anything to do with the subject we're discussing here.

Anyway, I'm not equipped enough to comment on this story but I assume that he is going to receive a persona non grata status, which is more than enough but I suspect that India or the UAE will risk to escalating or harming their warm relations.

By the way what demonstrations did you see the Indian govt do, other than what is expected of any well behaved govt?

Take the barriers removal as an example. Despite the fact that the barriers were put out of India's courtesy, these barricades were very helpful. Removing them may lead to risk the lives of the US Diplomats as well as the local security forces especially in a city which has the world's highest crime rate and a recent record of terrorist attacks.

For example, if these barriers were put in front of the US consulate in Banghazi, It would have saved the live of Ambassador Steven as well as his crew.

Did India take tit for tat measures like arresting US diplomats or their families for things that may be illegal in India, although we could?

That depends on whether the person you are going to arrest enjoy a full diplomatic immunity or not. If someone broke the laws in India, then arrest them.

All that India did was to withdraw some priviledges that were given to american diplomats in India, but not to Indian diplomats in the USA, citing the principle of reciprocity

What India should have done is to offer the same equal treatment for a US diplomat who violated India's laws not by taking some privileges some of which may not really count.

The govt is trying to persuade the US to see the folly of its ways in prosecuting somebody who is not bound by the laws of their land

No, the fact that she gave false info, gave a lower wage per hour than what she supposed to get are two crimes in row - the first is a federal crime - which entitles the local authority to prosecute this diplomat to the full extent of the law, otherwise we would be living in a jungle! And that what makes difference between civilized societies and the uncivilized ones.

India will gather all its legal ammunition and argue on her behalf in court. That is what civilized countries do, and that is what we are doing.

I will be on my tenterhooks to hear a reasonable explanation for giving incorrect info to the federal Gov't.

Our official response has been perfectly calm and measured, and you will realize that if you stop conflating calmness with unresponsiveness.

I don't see any calmness with the cancellation to meet with Congressional delegation, and I don't see any calmness in removing the barriers which may lead to jeopardize the lives of both Indians and Americans.

If you expected India not to take up the issue, but simply to let US have their way with our diplomat, well India is not pakistan or some other country that the US can treat with disdain

I'm not aware of any of this kind of testament given by the US to Pakistan or whatever states. And I don't think any resident in the US is an exception to the laws whereby everybody stands as equals after all no one is above the law.

We treat every country as equal partners forr tradre and friendship, no matter how much richer or stronger or poorer or weaker they may be than us. Whether we deal with USA or Russia or China or Iran or Israel or Arab countries, we always operate with reciprocity, and not as big brother or little one.

I don't think that is related to the subject we are discussing here either. And it is none of my bleeping business to find out how India tend to treat other countries either. The whole point that I'm making in this is the violation of the law.

Calm doesn't mean meek.

On the whole it does usually but on this issue India's foreign service have lost their minds!

On the whole it does usually but on this issue India's foreign service have lost their minds!

I know this because I do watch every single move India does when it comes to her FP.

I hope such incident won't happen again, and I hope the score will be settled peacefully once and for all.

I know this because I do watch every single move India does when it comes to her FP.

I hope such incident won't happen again, and I hope the score will be settled peacefully once and for all.
Agreed sir!

Back
Top Bottom