What's new

20 children die after eating free school lunch in India

Shanranthi ji.

El Weirdo has a point though it is put in a crude way.

People around the world live such good quality of life even in those countries that have no resources of their own.

Then why does the common Indian suffer?

800 years of destruction cannot be wished away in 60 years. At least give it 80 years ?

Why is there no concern for life in our country?

There is more concern for life in our country than any other country. Do not mistake compulsion/desperation for wish.

A starving mother will not provide food to her child not because she does not have concern for it, its because she does not have food.

While by conscience we are good people, but why is it that we are not able to show this out?

We always have shown our conscience by implementing and following our constitution internally and following the panchasheel and Non Align movement externally. Do you know India has one of the LOWEST police personal per citizen in the entire world ? Why do you think that in-spite of that our nation does not see huge crime and civil wars ?

Why is it that when some innocent Indians are killed by foreign terrorists, some fcking minister says "bade bade shehro mein aise haadhse hote hain".

Minister have to speak with responsibility. They cannot jump around and shout like Hindi film heroes. I am not saying that things cannot be better, but they are not all that bad either.

You know what is the biggest reason for brain drain?

I would like to think of it as REVERSE COLONIZATION. Its a matter of perspective.

It is not that there is gold outside India lying to be picked; it is the value for living and quality of life. That's what.

Quality of life is a subjective thing. I have a maid in my house to wash my dishes, clean the house daily, wash my toilets, one for taking care of my kid. I have a security guard in my building who provides me with 24 hrs security, a watchman in my building who pumps water and cleans my car and the ground around my house and washes my car for me. I have access to 15 Mbps internet connection for 1100 rs per month, DTV with HD, Relatives who I can visit and who visits me and provides a nourishing environment for my kid and I live in a society that thinks like me, speaks my language and celebrates the same festivals as me. My cousine who live in the US and makes 5 times my salary does not have the lifestyle I have. Who has a better quality of life ? I think I do...and I am only a middle class guy in India.

It is a right that every Indian has but NO ONE asks.

We do have right to quality life and we are constantly asking for it.....that is why today politicians are talking about development politics. Cant you feel the shift ?

When government does injustice in Turkey, citizens storm the streets; in Brazil, they unite together like a single country and protest.

In India, we only kill and fight with each other, doing what politicians want us to do.

In India we do not face the kind of injustice they face in Turkey etc....that is why we have no reason to do so much protest. We have a reasonable democracy that helps us convey our desires to our elected representatives and thought its not a perfect system ...its a pretty good system.

I think you give too much credit to politicians and too little credit to the people. Jantha sab janthi hai ....

800 years of destruction cannot be wished away in 60 years. At least give it 80 years ?

For the willing, only 10 years are enough.

Time is just an excuse for those who want to prosper from the dark and the corrupt.

Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed to rubble.

In 10 years, both were returned to their economic self, as if nothing had happened.

There is more concern for life in our country than any other country. Do not mistake compulsion/desperation for wish.

A starving mother will not provide food to her child not because she does not have concern for it, its because she does not have food.

Why doesn't she have food?

Because there is no food security system that helps poor to fulfil their basic needs.

WHO is responsible?

The government?

Who elects the government?

WE. The Indian people.

Why?

Think about this.

We always have shown our conscience by implementing and following our constitution internally and following the panchasheel and Non Align movement externally. Do you know India has one of the LOWEST police personal per citizen in the entire world ? Why do you think that in-spite of that our nation does not see huge crime and civil wars ?

LOL!

You really don't know the crime going on in the country.

Eastern India is the place for your to visit.

Anything from UP onwards is a hell.

There is so much crime in our country that if a genuine media could have the resources to report every crime, we will be driven insane by the TV itself and go into mass depression.

Please remember there is a very very dark side in our country that doesn't get reported.

Minister have to speak with responsibility. They cannot jump around and shout like Hindi film heroes. I am not saying that things cannot be better, but they are not all that bad either.

Like how SM Krishna read the Brazilian leader's speech? :lol:

Come on. Speaking responsibly doesn't do anything.

Working responsibly does.

Quality of life is a subjective thing. I have a maid in my house to wash my dishes, clean the house daily, wash my toilets, one for taking care of my kid. I have a security guard in my building who provides me with 24 hrs security, a watchman in my building who pumps water and cleans my car and the ground around my house and washes my car for me. I have access to 15 Mbps internet connection for 1100 rs per month, DTV with HD, Relatives who I can visit and who visits me and provides a nourishing environment for my kid and I live in a society that thinks like me, speaks my language and celebrates the same festivals as me. My cousine who live in the US and makes 5 times my salary does not have the lifestyle I have. Who has a better quality of life ? I think I do...and I am only a middle class guy in India.

You're an upper-middle class then.

The true middle class is still not having all this. It is rising, but it is very slow.

I request you to tour internationally a little bit and take time to see some countries.

Trust me, your perspective will change to reality.

We do have right to quality life and we are constantly asking for it.....that is why today politicians are talking about development politics. Cant you feel the shift ?

The pace is that of a snail.

Changes have to come fast if we have to rise. Pace is not an excuse, my friend.

In India we do not face the kind of injustice they face in Turkey etc....that is why we have no reason to do so much protest. We have a reasonable democracy that helps us convey our desires to our elected representatives and thought its not a perfect system ...its a pretty good system.

You are being too idealistic, dear friend.

Our system is severely flawed.

Please make sure whether you're telling me or trying to convince yourself

I think you give too much credit to politicians and too little credit to the people. Jantha sab janthi hai ....

Janti hai lekin kuchh karti nahi.

Gandhiwad se kuchh nahi hoga.

Well I have a wife who is working too. That goes a long way in making the two ends meet.

Japan was a free nation who went to war, lost it and surrendered its foreign policy to the US, allowed for US army to be stationed there and in exchange US implemented the Marshall plan and got US money for becoming its vassal state and also got access to US market.

Japan already had schools, Universities, businesses, independent trade policy etc.. and its people where already used to governing themselves. This is the biggest thing. Its a bit silly comparing India with Japan without understanding the difference between the two nations.

US had 200 + years to get things right. That and 10 times our resources !!!

Do you know 6 million Indians died of HUNGER during WW2...and the worst thing was, it was a man made hunger. Today we are food surplus nation. Not bad in 60 years supporting 1.2 billion people with limited land.

We have fought 4 wars in this last 60 years and that have drained our resources and have set us back each time, but we have fought and come out of that pit without any support.

I am not denying that things can't be better or that congress has not screwed us, but things could have been a LOT worse. Look at pakistan and Bangladesh. We are the same people.....look where they are heading and where we are heading.

I have visited and seen other countries and more than that, I have studied other countries. India, in-spite of its problem is a wonder. If you really study world history past and present you will realize that.

Nations need to attain a certain CRITICAL MASS before things speed up. India has just attained its critical mass, its only going to gain speed. Of that I have no doubt.

Agar Gandhiwad se kuch nahi hoga .....tho maowadi se bhi kuch nahi hog :)

For the willing, only 10 years are enough.

Time is just an excuse for those who want to prosper from the dark and the corrupt.

Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed to rubble.

In 10 years, both were returned to their economic self, as if nothing had happened.

I partly agree with you, but this is wrong comparison. Japanese had a background. They learnt they had to grow by mid 1800, and their society was led to development with Meiji restoration in 1868. by 1900s, they were world power, and with the economic and social strength they had, restoring two cities wasn't so much for them.

In contrast, a population equivalent of Japan was lifted out of poverty during only last ten years.

First things First. Don't call me Bhai 'sonny' boy. It makes my skin crawl to be called by the likes of you.
OK , for starters , Sonny is a term used for a `little one` ... hence called you a SONNY.. Sonny boy... how are you?
Makes me sad as to why does your skin crawls so much? Eczema or psoriasis ?

Second ....as I told you, you really do not have to continue justifying your cowardice to me . Your guilt is your 'cross' to bear and do not expect me to lighten your load.
I wasnt giving my justification your Honour..Geeta par haath rakh kar kasam khata hoon.. jo kahoonga sach kahoonga!!
I was just telling why do tons and tons and then some of people would want to leave India. ever been on an International flight , the plane is filled by more Indians than foreigners.

Third ....after Delhi rape case and death of ONE lady and subsequent protests, the sexual violence legislation was passed a LOT faster than any bill to protect women in Ireland. This in-spite India being a country of 1.2 Billion people and Ireland being a country of 4.5 million :lol:
The legislation was passed , fairly quick ..I give you that, but do U not know why ? coz there were protests with 10,0000`s of people on the streets of delhi , i wont be over estimating if it was at least a Million people on teh streets, which was good btw, adn else where.. coz the Govt. did nada before this.
Also , did it deter the ar$eholes to do the inhumane? I wud be most happy , if it did.

We luckily do not have bills that case women to die painful death by refusing abortion in the first place. Not even 50 years back did we have such a regressive bill.
Right !! but are the bills truly followed?
Again you do not have to justify your running away by claiming 80% Indians would do the same. That is your pathetic attempt to justify your action. As i mentioned earlier....there is no need for you to justify that to any of us.
Millions of Indians living abroad like are live example of it!! what better example do U want?

There you go again .......desperately trying to justify your cowardice. We all understand you have no courage to fight for your rights, let alone fight for others rights. That has been amply explained by you. There is NO confusion in our mind.

Good for YOU!now sleep tight.

Go earn your 2 waqt ki roti and whatever. ....... frankly we don't care either way. ta ta bye bye.
ByBy so. Im happy ... thats what matter!!

OK , for starters , Sonny is a term used for a `little one` ... hence called you a SONNY.. Sonny boy... how are you?
Makes me sad as to why does your skin crawls so much? Eczema or psoriasis ?

LOL.....so now ...'phoren return' is going to teach Engleess to Native folks ?

Hearing you is nauseating enough. It will make anybody's skin crawl. I guess that makes you the Eczema or psoriasis. :tongue:

I was just telling why do tons and tons and then some of people would want to leave India. ever been on an International flight , the plane is filled by more Indians than foreigners.

YOU have a problem with International planes being filled with more Indians than foreigners ? :lol: ..............and your amazing conclusion is that they are going away never to come back. :lol:

Are those foreigners in those planes also emigrating to India ? :cheesy:

The legislation was passed , fairly quick ..I give you that, but do U not know why ? coz there were protests with 10,0000`s of people on the streets of delhi , i wont be over estimating if it was at least a Million people on teh streets, which was good btw, adn else where.. coz the Govt. did nada before this.
Also , did it deter the ar$eholes to do the inhumane? I wud be most happy , if it did.

So now you have a problem when people come on the street in India and protest and when the govt. passes a bill fast. :lol:

I guess, white worshipers like you only admire protests by white folks and when Irish govt. pass laws fast. ........ what a pathetic fool you appear to be. I feel sorry I have to waste my time talking to you.

ByBy so. Im happy ... thats what matter!!

:lol: .......ya you are so happy that you felt the desperate need to come to a pakistani forum and declare it. LOL.....truly a knave.

LOL.....so now ...'phoren return' is going to teach Engleess to Native folks ?

Hearing you is nauseating enough. It will make anybody's skin crawl. I guess that makes you the Eczema or psoriasis. :tongue:

YOU have a problem with International planes being filled with more Indians than foreigners ? :lol: ..............and your amazing conclusion is that they are going away never to come back. :lol:

Are those foreigners in those planes also emigrating to India ? :cheesy:

So now you have a problem when people come on the street in India and protest and when the govt. passes a bill fast. :lol:

I guess, white worshipers like you only admire protests by white folks and when Irish govt. pass laws fast. ........ what a pathetic fool you appear to be. I feel sorry I have to waste my time talking to you.

:lol: .......ya you are so happy that you felt the desperate need to come to a pakistani forum and declare it. LOL.....truly a knave.
Ah... as soon as I had a notification I knew it was the lad who is the only Indian alive and showing off not realising he was OTT and a bit immature thats why I called U Sonny.
Complete this.. " Dont wrestle with a pig _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ experience.
Hence , I rest my case.. :closed:
EDIT: Ur username rhymes with Sankranti... did he got banned or what ?

Ah... as soon as I had a notification I knew it was the lad who is the only Indian alive and showing off not realising he was OTT and a bit immature thats why I called U Sonny.
Complete this.. " Dont wrestle with a pig _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ experience.
Hence , I rest my case.. :closed:
EDIT: Ur username rhymes with Sankranti... did he got banned or what ?

You never had a case to being with. Only vitriol to cover up your guilt. Now that your stupidity and cowardice is exposed .........go take a long hike ........

You never had a case to being with. Only vitriol to cover up your guilt. Now that your stupidity and cowardice is exposed .........go take a long hike ........
Looks like someone took a hike :P
Happy Banning!!

Poor quality and bad management: India ignored warnings in free meal programme
By Reuters Published: July 22, 2013
GANDAMAN: The village school in Bihar where 23 children died by poisoning last week had been providing lunch under the government sponsored Mid-Day Meal Scheme without checks or monitoring by local officials to see if the food was stored carefully or cooked properly.
Although it is the first such disaster in the project that feeds about 120 million children every day across India, a Reuters review of audit reports and research papers shows officials have long ignored warnings of the lack of oversight and accountability in the programme.
“You only come and do checks when you get complaints or when there are serious cases,” said Rudranarayan Ram, the local education administrator for the village of Gandaman in Bihar, where the children died. “This was the first time.”
The poisoning, which police suspect was caused by storing cooking oil in a used pesticide container, killed the children so quickly that some died in their parents’ arms while being taken to hospital.
Ram, who was tasked with monitoring the programme, said the headmistress of the school, who has fled, bought the food and the oil in which it was cooked. He just doesn’t know from where nor how the items were stored.
Although fatal contamination is extremely rare in the midday meal scheme, auditors in several states have described unhygienic conditions in which the food under the programme is prepared and served, and the poor quality of food itself. Two audit reports by the state governments of Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh have said the food in the scheme was often laced with stones and worms.
Another survey by the Indian Institute of Management noted children in Gujarat were made to wash up after their meals by “rubbing the playground soil on the plates and then giving a quick rinse”.
“If the government checks, they will find that the children who have been eating midday meals are under great physical threat,” said Ajay Kumar Jha, professor at A.N. Sinha Institute of Social Studies, who led a team to monitor the programme in Bihar in April.
The midday meal scheme of giving school pupils a free lunch is the largest such programme in the world. It has been widely lauded as one of the most successful welfare measures in India, home to a quarter of the world’s hungry, because it also boosts school enrolments and helps children to continue studies.
For millions of poor families, the lunch is the only full meal their children eat in a day. That encourages them to send them to school, and not keep them home to help with chores.
For this reason, despite being poorly managed, the scheme draws a lot of support from non-governmental organizations, rights activists and the United Nations.
“We need it. It’s one of India’s most well-thought of programs,” said Bharathi Ghanashyam, spokeswoman of Akshaya Patra, an NGO that provides school lunches.
Still, audit reports have highlighted the continuing failings of the programme, more than a decade after feeding children a cooked meal in schools was mandated by a Supreme Court order.
The problems include grain kept in decrepit condition in central warehouses, and then often stored and cooked in poorly-equipped schools by staff with little or no training.
No warning
PK Shahi, the education minister in Bihar, said there were no warnings from the central government about the programme.
“There were general advisories for better hygiene. That’s all,” he told Reuters.
“In Bihar, the midday meal scheme covers 16-18 million children in 73,000 schools and its run by teachers and school management committees. I can understand the issues about hygiene given the scale of operation, the number of people involved, and given the fact that the individuals who run the programme are not experts in food.
“But you have to understand that this is a pure case of poisoning.”
Government guidelines for the programme are strict, including requirements for every school to display delivery details for grains received from central stores and list other ingredients purchased. Kitchens should have lockable storage to check pilferage and ingredients should be stored in proper containers, say the hygiene and safety rules.
There should be regular inspections at the local and state level, according to the rules which are laid out by the Human Resources Development Ministry.
Experts say the problem is not lack of rules but poor implementation and a lack of accountability.
“Accountability and monitoring is weak to non-existent,” Suneetha Kadiyala, research fellow at the International Food Policy Research Institute in New Delhi, told Reuters.
“The right to food cannot be achieved through any policy or legal instrument unless the governance of programmes and their monitoring at grass roots is strengthened.”
In Bihar, a 2008 audit report showed that 563.75 metric tonnes of rice rotted in schools during a three year period due to poor storage.
No “extra nutrients” such as vegetables or fruit were provided although expenditure is about $10 million was incurred by the government. Only 10 percent of the kitchens that were supposed to be constructed were complete as of March 2008, although funds were provided.
“There was complete absence of the internal controls, regular monitoring and evaluation of the Scheme as per the guidelines,” the 2008 report said.
No lights or fans
Part of the problem is poor infrastructure. Thousands of schools in India do not even have their own buildings, and are run from community centres with no storage facilities. Many schools are no bigger than a single room.
The school where the children were poisoned is a tiny building with only one classroom for 50-60 pupils. The room has no lights nor fans and only a black painted rectangle on the wall for a blackboard.
The kitchen was a pile of bricks and charcoal in a corner outside the classroom and parents said the ingredients for lunch had to be brought in every day as there was no storage.
“These deaths could had been prevented with strict adherence to protocols for preparing the mid day meal,” said the United Nations Children’s Fund, after the Bihar tragedy.
Many states have faced criticism over the quality of food in the scheme and the way it is provided.
In Andhra Pradesh, a recent pilot audit found underweight sacks of rice. In Madhya Pradesh, a report in 2010 found half the schools did not serve meals regularly and cooks brought utensils from home.
In West Bengal, a 2010 report by Pratichi Trust, a research body founded by Nobel laureate Amartya Sen, called for more investments to improve the food quality.
Hygiene problems are exacerbated by a lack of fresh water and basic sanitation in some rural areas.
“We struggle to get basic clean water,” said Mridul Salgame, who runs the non-profit Foundation of Food Research and Enterprise for Safety and Hygiene (FRESH). “In remote areas of Bihar and Rajashtan, they have to filter out muddy water and drink it.”
Salgame wants action and emphasizes the victims of these failings are children.
“The time has come to take it up on a war footing,” she said.

Back
Top Bottom