What's new

20 Breathtaking Facts About INS Vikramaditya, The Furious Protector Of The Indian Ocean

shree835

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
When it enters the deep water of the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), even the most advanced drones, spy aircrafts and enemy vessels beat a hasty retreat.

In January 2014, the Indian Navy welcomed the arrival of its largest aircraft carrier – INS Vikramaditya. Vikramaditya boosted the Indian Navy’s aspiration to become a blue-water navy. This megaton warrior is currently operating around the Arabian Sea along with another aircraft carrier named, INS Viraat.

In the summer of 2012, it was making headlines because of NATO spying operation over it during the trials in Russian territory of Barents Sea and now in the summer of 2014, it is once again in the limelight due to the damage caused to a MiG-29K.

Very few people apart from defense analysts know about the capabilities of this beastly beauty. So, let us get some sneak-peak into the aircraft’s dossier.

1. The Acquisition
Negotiations with Russian government were started way back in the year 1994 to acquire Admiral Gorshkov.
112.jpg

2. R33
INS Vikramaditya is a modified version of Russian Kiev-class aircraft carrier with a code name R33. This aircraft carrier has gone through extensive refit and modernization process prior to its scheduled delivery.

27.jpg

3. Super Strong
Admiral Gorshkov has been renamed by the Indian Navy in the honour of the legendary first BC emperor of Ujjain, Vikramaditya. The name literally translates as “Strong as the Sun.”

32.jpg

4. And Costly, too
This 44,500 Metric ton aircraft carrier is procured at a cost of over INR 15,000 crore ($ 2.3 bn).

42.jpg

5. The Giant In India
Standing at a tall length of 930 ft (284 meters), INS Vikramaditya has 22 decks. This mega structure of steel is similar to stretching as much as three football fields together (300m). About 40% of the carrier is original to Gorshkov and rest of it is retrofitted and upgraded to meet military standards.

52.jpg

6. Fast Beast
Installed power of 18 MWe (megawatt electrical) provides this aircraft carrier the speed of over 56 km/hr (30 Knots).

62.jpg

7. Well-equipped
It is capable of carrying maximum of 36 aircrafts at a time, which includes the superior machines like MiG-29K multi-role fighters and Kamov Ka-31 Helix.

72.jpg

8. When Vikramaditya Rests
It makes use of three arrester wires to aid pilots for landing on the carrier after routine sorties of MiG 29-K fighter jet fleet. While resting at its home berth at the INS Kadamba naval base in Karwar coast, Vikramaditya requires 3 fifty-Tonne BP (Bollard Pull) Stern Drive Tugs.

82.jpg

9. Defending Itself
It has the capacity to host six Ka-31 and K1-28 helicopters. Kamov Ka-31 is responsible for performing the role of airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) system for INS Vikramaditya.

92.jpg

10. Destroyer on Sea
Kamov Ka-28 is anti-submarine warfare helicopter which is deployed on INS Vikramaditya to destroy enemy submarines.

102.jpg

11. STOBAR

Vikramaditya is capable of positioning naval version of the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) on its board, making it the first Indian aircraft carrier of the STOBAR (Short Take off but Assisted Recovery) category.
113.jpg
http://topyaps.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/113.jpgPin It

12. Fully Equipped to Tackle Anyone

INS Vikramaditya has the capability to operate both in offensive and defensive modes. It has been equipped with hard power assets such as frigates, missile boats and attack submarines that can change the outcome of a maritime conflict.

13. Disaster Relief
Not only Vikramaditya is heavily armed, but it also hosts a variety of soft-power assets such as hospital ships, survey vessels and humanitarian relief & disaster relief (HADR) platforms to deal with any natural calamity such as tsunami, earthquake etc.

133.jpg

14. Russians on Board
On duty 183 Russian personnel’s are helping the 1600-odd Indian sailors to operate this active aircraft. They’re also assigned with the task to train the officers of Indian side about the various strategies and operational tactics of R33.

144.jpg

15. Feeding a Giant
With over 1600 personnel on board, Vikramaditya carries a mammoth logistics amounting to nearly a lakh of eggs, 20,000 liters of milk and 16 tonnes of rice, every month.

153.jpg

16. Maritime Reconnaissance Range
The induction of MiG-29 K in Vikramaditya has provided a significant boost to the maritime reconnaissance range of Indian Navy. They’re also equipped with lethal BVR (beyond visual range) and anti-ship missiles.

162.jpg

17. MiG-29 K
Indian Navy is first in the world to operate these twin engine all-weather multirole fighter aircraft. India has ordered 45 of these aircrafts in a multi-billion dollar deal with Russia.

1298401.jpg

18. Barak Missiles
INS Vikramaditya lacks its own air defence missile system such as an on-board close-in-weapon-system (CIWS) and long-range SAMS (Surface-to-air missiles). However, Indian Navy has decided to put Barak missiles on the carrier for protection against aerial attacks.
182.jpg

19. Late Arrival
The warship has been inducted after almost delay of five years and a cost over–run near to 1 bn USD.

192.jpg

20. Strongest Among All
Similar to the great Indian King Vikramaditya, this blue water warrior is the most potent aircraft carrier with its on-board weapon strength, surveillance features and operational agility.

202.jpg

20 Breathtaking Facts About INS Vikramaditya, The Furious Protector Of The Indian Ocean - TopYaps

Last edited:
I will wait for the day when Indian crew will start air operations, strike and reconnaissance at night time from this beast.

I will wait for the day when Indian crew will start air operations, strike and reconnaissance at night time from this beast.

I hope that this day never comes... and anyone with a brain would do so as well.

Its easy to write about going to war from your chair as long as others have to do it, right?

8. When Vikramaditya Rests
It makes use of three arrester wires to aid pilots for landing on the carrier after routine sorties of MiG 29-K fighter jet fleet. While resting at its home berth at the INS Kadamba naval base in Karwar coast, Vikramaditya requires 3 fifty-Tonne BP (Bollard Pull) Stern Drive Tugs.

82.jpg
This is not the Vicky. these are Dassault Rafale M fighters on the deck . in all probability this is the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle.

I hope that this day never comes... and anyone with a brain would do so as well.

Its easy to write about going to war from your chair as long as others have to do it, right?

You do not need war to do those operations.

If you don't know this is a defence forum not women affair board, people here visit to talk about wars. If you don't have the heart to talk about one, then find an appropriate forum.

Hey asshole, your face is worth smacking, I am visiting India on 2nd of August, visit IGI in the morning and I will put your head back in your ***.

Now don't act more smart and cut this crap ASAP or I will fix you for good and long.

Now keep your tail between your legs piss off.

I still can not understand why this maggot is picking up fight with me when I categorically told this rascal that you don't need war to conduct these operation. One must tell this clown that what I was desiring with ACC is eventually going to happen and russians have already done night trails before delivering it.

Hey man, why are you and @Koovie fighting like dogs and cats?
Now to answer your questions/desires in post#4. just take a look at the video posted by @Bhasad Singh Mundi above. That should give you some idea of what has been going on aboard INS Vikramaditya, which includes all that you were talking about.

Hey man, why are you and @Koovie fighting like dogs and cats?
Now to answer your questions/desires in post#4. just take a look at the video posted by @Bhasad Singh Mundi above. That should give you some idea of what has been going on aboard INS Vikramaditya, which includes all that you were talking about.

I pray you to tell me If my first post was any way putting that 5K post blunder's underwear into twist, who started lecturing me on war and its adverse effects.

OK , I shouldn't drag good posters like you into this, I have already fixed that troll who is now from words has reduced to cartoons.
I get half of my answer myself, that is why I read more and post less. I think on night operation I missed that part which you have referred me to. I was rather with a view that even day time taking off and landing hasn't been yet done by InN pilots independently.

I pray you to tell me If my first post was any way putting that 5K post blunder's underwear into twist, who started lecturing me on war and its adverse effects.

OK , I shouldn't drag good posters like you into this, I have already fixed that troll who is now from words has reduced to cartoons.
I get half of my answer myself, that is why I read more and post less. I think on night operation I missed that part which you have referred me to. I was rather with a view that even day time taking off and landing hasn't been yet done by InN pilots independently.

Oye chadd de yaar. Both you and @Koovie are good guys here. Please shake hands (on cyber-space) and delete anything that is offensive.

And that video is quite clear in itself, though it is so concise. As the naval term goes: the "working-up" phase of both Ship and its Complement is well progressed, and I am pretty sure that most if not all of the Aviators are done with their DLQs and pretty much some of them are even "Fully Ops D&N" by now. That is a clear explanation for why we heard and saw little about the Vikramaditya after she steamed into Indian waters. Now with the Monsoon in the offing she will get a short furlough, and then get into shape for the Winterex.

Back
Top Bottom