What's new

1st Indian Hawk Trainer crashes

sohailbutt

Reaction score
I found this news in the afternoon, quite surprising that even new jets fall from the air which are not even 3 months old!!!!!!

New jet trainer crashes in Karnataka, pilots safe

"New Delhi: A newly-inducted Hawk jet trainer of the Indian Air Force crashed at Bidar in Karnataka on Tuesday. Both pilots survived the crash.

The British-made trainer aircraft went down shortly after take-off from the Bidar training base. The pilots were experienced instructors.

Ironically, the Hawk advanced jet trainers have been acquired as enablers to reduce the accident rate of the Indian Air Force. But these aircraft have got off to a bad start adding to the tally of IAF crashes this year.

The first lot of 10 Hawk aircraft were inducted into the IAF in February this year. India is acquiring 100 more of these jet trainers.

According to reports, the fleet of 10 Hawks, purchased off the shelf from Britain, have been grounded until an inquiry is held"

New jet trainer crashes in Karnataka, pilots safe

wut's the use of buyin expensive trainer jets (5-7 Million pound a piece) when they start to crash after 3 months of induction into IAF???????:cheesy:

wonder wut will happen to the remaining 9:rofl:

Like I have said before, nothing to gloat about, cause our own crash rate ain't anything low. Granted, we're flying older jets than the IAF.

Our F-16 crash rate is quite low, what is India's SU-30 crash rate?

^^^Even Britain has been having problems with the Hawk AJT....

A couple of them crashed in the last 6 months.

technically aircraft never took off it was aborted take off and was flown by 2 instructors them self no chance of pilot error there ,it hit the side wall so no news about how much damage aircraft has suffered

su-30 still does have crash under its belt now ,su-30k were first inducted in 1993 while mki in 2001

May be he forgot to close the canopy;). British planes sometimes act very differently than other planes for Example, Lets take hunter, the engine or the compressor use to stall when you fired your guns. It took them one year to understand what is going on. What used to happen when you used to fire the guns it used to create a vacuum, and that used to shut the engine.
So I am sure BAE and IAF will find out the cause soon.

any time line for the acquiring 100 more of these Hawk jet trainers by IAF?

any time line for the acquiring 100 more of these Hawk jet trainers by IAF?

i think HAL can manufacture 24 a/c per year. so do your maths. not too long.

I work for BAE on Hawk, and i can tell you what we have been told on the assembly line!

HT008 was taking off in a 2 ship formation, when a bang was heard in the cockpit. The student in the front seat ( not an instructor) ejected, and the instructor managed to bring the ac to a stop off the runway were the undercarriage and nosecone sustained major damage. After the instructor climbed out the ac he noticed a small fire under the ac. By the time firecrew got to the scene some 15-20 minutes later the ac was well alite and IS a write off!

This rusting issue which isnt even an issue has nothing to do with the serviceability of the ac.

I work for BAE on Hawk, and i can tell you what we have been told on the assembly line!

HT008 was taking off in a 2 ship formation, when a bang was heard in the cockpit. The student in the front seat ( not an instructor) ejected, and the instructor managed to bring the ac to a stop off the runway were the undercarriage and nosecone sustained major damage. After the instructor climbed out the ac he noticed a small fire under the ac. By the time firecrew got to the scene some 15-20 minutes later the ac was well alite and IS a write off!

This rusting issue which isnt even an issue has nothing to do with the serviceability of the ac.

Thanks for first hand information and welcome to Defence.pk.
Hope to hear more from you. :)

I am sorry but that seems a bit odd when you eject the Instructor at the back goes out first than the student. If the Instructor did'nt eject that means he knew what was wrong with the plane a long time ago and he pulled his ejection pins out. which is very unlikely.

Hi there are about 5 versions of this crash .
google it.

it slammed into a wall while taking off.
The first IAF Hawk AJT crashed at 406 Air Force Station Bidar at 12.40PM on April 29. Just broke the news on Headlines Today. The crash happened just after take-off. Both pilots ejected and are safe. The aircraft is one of the first batch delivered by BAe Systems to the IAF. The Hawks were formally inducted into operational service with the IAF at a glittering ceremony in February this year. Just over two months after induction.
a78ad316b16c9689eadd1a38f0d8dfdd.jpg

Isn't the backseat pilot supposed to eject first? I've heard the backseat pilot would be fried if the frontseat pilot ejected first.

Or is it the other way round?

Like I have said before, nothing to gloat about, cause our own crash rate ain't anything low. Granted, we're flying older jets than the IAF.

Our F-16 crash rate is quite low, what is India's SU-30 crash rate?

Su-30 Crash rate of IAF is zero, since their induction in all their version wheather MK or MKI, not even single mishap have happened as yet.

Back
Top Bottom