What's new

1971 War: Map of PAF air strikes on IAF bases & infrastructure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of the IAF aircraft,were armed with AAMs,...whereas the PAF sabres had AIM-9 sidewinder missiles.
IAF fought missiles with cannons.
Also most of these 'top guns' shot down were flying ground attack aircraft like su-7 and hunter in fighter bomber role.
Sabre,a dedicated air superiority fighter with AAMs against ground attack aircraft with cannons.

Fact is in 1971 PAF fled and hid most of its aircraft in the west after a few days.

PAF never had the luxury of flying aircraft in a just one dedicated role, with the exception of F-104, all it's aircraft were deployed in a fighter/bomber role....nor were all the F-86/F-6 wired for missile armament hence majority of the kills achieved by the PAF were through gun attack.
And the usual nonsense to end with....if PAF hid it's aircraft, why did it's sortie rate climbed as the war progressed, after the failure of Hunters and SU-7s, the IAF covered up with MiG-21s......hence the last encounter happened between your top of the range fighter the MiG-21 and an obsolete PAF F-86 in which the F-86 emerged the winner.

@Windjammer for once can't we have a decent discussion without you trying to score points .....You need to seriously relax and not try to start a mud slinging contest...

@Star Wars....you need to get your priorities right.....where's the mud slinging in my post.....surprised you missed the banter in post-27 .

Last edited by a moderator:
The primary mission was and still is to damage the airbases and deny India usage of her airbases for as long period of time as possible. Destroying aircraft during the raids is bonus.

Even in that case mission failed because airstrips were repaired in very short time.

Which mission?
Its like saying the thing on that day that was going to be the thing did not work because of the thing.

The incident triggered the open war declaration.

Because there was only 1 PAF squadron stationed in E.Pakistan.

Yes which had at max 20 sabres

If he is referring to the initial air strikes on airfield.. Any actual reader of history and one who bothered to read beyond wiki and propaganda would realize that those strikes were NEVER aimed at destroying aircraft. Their purpose was denial of flight ops to the airfields.. to reduce the pressure on the defenses.

But then, jingoism can cloud objectivity.

Because unlike Pakistan.. they learnt their lessons from 65.

More importantly India, unlike Pakistan learned from 1962

It surprises me that even the 1962 debacle which India faced, didn't open the eyes of PA top brass

PAF never had the luxury of flying aircraft in a just one dedicated role, with the exception of F-104, all it's aircraft were deployed in a fighter/bomber role....nor were all the F-86/F-6 wired for missile armament hence majority of the kills achieved by the PAF were through gun attack.
And the usual nonsense to end with....if PAF hid it's aircraft, why did it's sortie rate climbed as the war progressed, after the failure of Hunters and SU-7s, the IAF covered up with MiG-21s......hence the last encounter happened between your top of the range fighter the MiG-21 and an obsolete PAF F-86 in which the F-86 emerged the winner.

@Star Wars....you need to get your priorities right.....where's the mud slinging in my post.....surprised you missed the banter in post-27 .

Ha ha bragging about 1 mig-21 kill?When IAF shot down 3 of the vaunted f-104 supersonic starfighters in different engagements.A single mig squadron[no.29 squadron scorpions] killed 3 f-86 sabres itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the Indian authorities camouflaged the Taj Mahal......not that PAF was going to bomb the Muslim monument, the reason was that it served as a beacon.

well as they say... Everything's fair in love n war....the statement PAF wouldnt have bombed a "muslim monument" will always be controversial...

possible reasons for bombing taj mahal:

It was in India
Would have damaged India's rept abroad
Religion wouldnt matter coz in those days Taj Mahal was one of the first things that came to mind wheneva som1 took the name "India"
India would have lost its share of having one of the "seven wonders"

etc etc etc

Although its war ethic to not harm any civilian or civilian property.....everything's fair in love and war

Even in that case mission failed because airstrips were repaired in very short time.
The incident triggered the open war declaration.

The airbases can not be put out of action permanently simply because repair mechanism are in place to repair them. They are put out of order temporarily to disrupt enemy war efforts.

I hope you have some basic knowledge of the matter being discussed.

The airbases can not be put out of action permanently simply because repair mechanism are in place to repair them. They are put out of order temporarily to disrupt enemy war efforts.

I hope you have some basic knowledge of the matter being discussed.

What benefits did Pakistan reap out of it. :cheesy:

Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.

I agree With you on the importance of history..... But the point I wanted to make was lot have changed from 1972 to 2013..... weapon system.... air defence and missiles..... other than geography most of the other things have changed.....

Ha ha bragging about 1 mig-21 kill?When IAF shot down 3 of the vaunted f-104 supersonic starfighters in different engagements.A single mig squadron[no.29 squadron scorpions] killed 3 f-86 sabres itself.

I guess this is where you prove your worthless knowledge in aerial warfare,
MiG-21 was an F-16 of it's day hence superior than both the F-86 and F-104, however the tables turned when it fell victim to both the F-86 and the older MiG-19/F-6.

This thread should be moved to Senior's Cafe.

Yes, the Indian authorities camouflaged the Taj Mahal......not that PAF was going to bomb the Muslim monument, the reason was that it served as a beacon.

I remember reading news during operation parakram where in they did camouflaged Taj once again.....

28zzmanekbig.jpg

And what was the result on Pakistani side

9,000 killed , 4,350 wounded , 97,368 captured(POW)

Destruction of 2 Destroyers , 1 Minesweeper ,1 Submarine ,3 Patrol vessels ,7 Gunboats and lastly 94 PAF Aircraft

Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom