What's new

1971 War: Map of PAF air strikes on IAF bases & infrastructure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than historical importance this data is not relevant atall..... Both nations and their armed forces are totally different now... A war now would be totally different from the previous ones..... But again I dont see we fighting a war in another 10 15 years.....

Other than historical importance this data is not relevant atall..... Both nations and their armed forces are totally different now... A war now would be totally different from the previous ones..... But again I dont see we fighting a war in another 10 15 years.....

Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.

In the event of an future wars,the very same bases would be prime targets for PAF or Cruise missile strikes.

actually IAF attributed only 1% loss of the total losses for the PAF Air Raids.only 2 aircraft loss(1 is a light aircraft in Faridkot,most probably 1 hunter) was awarded to air raids.mostly due to IAF learn the lesson hard way in 1965 war and they parked aircrafts in hardened shelters.but PAF's air raid destroyed/damaged runways,radar installations and other parts of various installations,which makes them inoperable for hours.IAF never scrambled any jets for protection and used AA batteries.but the damage done was repaired within hours.

If he is referring to the initial air strikes on airfield.. Any actual reader of history and one who bothered to read beyond wiki and propaganda would realize that those strikes were NEVER aimed at destroying aircraft. Their purpose was denial of flight ops to the airfields.. to reduce the pressure on the defenses.

But then, jingoism can cloud objectivity.

So what was the result of these attacks???

In accordance with a pre-planned assault against IAF airfields and radar stations, the first dusk strikes crossed the border at the same time and struck their targets between 1709 and 1723 in two waves with varying intervals. A total of 26 missions with 24 Sabres, 8 Mirages, 4 F-104s, 15 B-57s, 1 C-130 and 4 T-33s, were launched against 14 airfields and 2 radar installations. All aircraft returned safely.

The success of these initial raids can best be judged from Indian sources. The most authentic comments emanate from My Days with the IAF written by Air Chief Marshal P. C. Lal, who commanded the IAF during the 1971 war. He would hardly be inclined to exaggerate the PAF’s performance. Extracts from his narrative are as follows :

Halwara

"The B-57 dropped 8 bombs, 3 of which landed on the runway, making two major craters . . ." (p.249)

Amritsar

"The attack . . . started with a visit by four Mirages. . . They made 4 to 5 craters from the beginning of the runway to about 600 meters - At 10:10 pm that night - five hourse after the Mirage attack there was just . . . one lane of runway serviceable (when 2 Su-7 pilots) took off in their Sukhois. Immediately after that a PAF B-57 came and dropped bombs." (p.256)

Sirsa

"The PAF B-57’s bombing . . . was enough to make the runway unserviceable for the night the bombs had time-delayed fuses and kept on exploding at intervals till dawn, delaying clearance and repair work." (p.271)

Jaisalmer

"One of the bombs hit the underground power cable . . . for the next six hours Jaisalmer operated on its standby generator and was without telephone facility." (p.283)

Uttar Lai

"The runway was bombed thrice on the very first evening of the war" (forcing the pilots to use the taxi way for take off and landing). That is how we operated for the first six days of war." (p.286-87)

Bhuj

". . . the PAF bombed it fairly accurately . . . The Air Force Commanding Officer found it difficult to get together enough labour to repair it." (p.291)

One other IAF source deserves mention by way of tribute to the PAF’s B-57 crew who valiantly faced the highest loss rate of the war, and persisted doggedly each night, despite their rudimentary bombs and aiming devices, in carrying the war deep into the enemy’s heartland. The narration comes from an Indian MiG-21 pilot, taken prisoner after being shot down over Pakistan. Flight Lieutenant Harish Sinhji, who belonged to a Sirsa-based squadron, stated:

"After one of PAF’s night bombing strikes on our airfield, we were all gounded for six hours. The runway had been cratered in many places. The next morning our CO took us all to the runway to show us the Pakistani pilot’s bombing accuracy. 'This is the kind of bombing accuracy the IAF pilots should achieve against Pakistani targets.' the CO said, pointing to the craters on the runway". During the following two weeks the PAF’s F-86s, Mirages, T-33s, B-57s and C-130s, (first used as bombers in the 1965 War) continued the bombing campaign against Indian airfields and radar. The IAF was kept under constant pressure, its night operations over Pakistan proportionately inhibited.

i read somewhere that iaf lost many planes compare to 1965 war...and our loss was less than 1965 is it true???

1971.jpg

Source: COL John H. Gill

U.S. Army South Asia Foreign Area Officer on the faculty
of the Near East-South Asia Center for Strategic Studies (NESA Center), part of the National
Defense University in Washington, D.C.

now this is something interesting...

i remember reading somewhere how they covered whole of taj mahal so that PAF planes cudnt c them coz they were bombarding on a full moon night and the marble used to build taj mahal shines on a full moon night...

this is one thread where 1971 war is discussed sensibly like a past historical event

It was a failed mission since it failed to harm Indian aircrafts.

The primary mission was and still is to damage the airbases and deny India usage of her airbases for as long period of time as possible. Destroying aircraft during the raids is bonus.

By this PAF strikes on IAF base, Pakistan won 71 war against India.....:omghaha:

It is unfortunate for Pakistan that you were not the commander in chief of India in 1971. I am sure we would have won :lol:

now this is something interesting...

i remember reading somewhere how they covered whole of taj mahal so that PAF planes cudnt c them coz they were bombarding on a full moon night and the marble used to build taj mahal shines on a full moon night...

this is one thread where 1971 war is discussed sensibly like a past historical event

Yes, the Indian authorities camouflaged the Taj Mahal......not that PAF was going to bomb the Muslim monument, the reason was that it served as a beacon.

Can any one post Indian Air Force response after these strikes???

The primary mission was and still is to damage the airbases and deny India usage of her airbases for as long period of time as possible. Destroying aircraft during the raids is bonus.

It is unfortunate for Pakistan that you were not the commander in chief of India in 1971. I am sure we would have won :lol:[/QUOTE]

Actually my junior Mr. Manekshaw and Mr. J S Arora were sufficient at that time...:coffee:

It is unfortunate for Pakistan that you were not the commander in chief of India in 1971. I am sure we would have won :lol:[/QUOTE]

Actually my junior Mr. Manekshaw and Mr. J S Arora were sufficient at that time...:coffee:

When you done with your trolling, comprehend the fact that we are discussing the air campaign here not the war.

scan0017-1.jpg

scan0018-1.jpg

When you done with your trolling, comprehend the fact that we are discussing the air campaign here not the war.

scan0017-1.jpg

scan0018-1.jpg

None of the IAF aircraft,were armed with AAMs,...whereas the PAF sabres had AIM-9 sidewinder missiles.
IAF fought missiles with cannons.
Also most of these 'top guns' shot down were flying ground attack aircraft like su-7 and hunter in fighter bomber role.
Sabre,a dedicated air superiority fighter with AAMs against ground attack aircraft with cannons.

Fact is in 1971 PAF fled and hid most of its aircraft in the west after a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom