What's new

16 CPEC projects in Balochistan, 8 in KPK: Chinese Embassy

There's difference in pressure and propaganda. The potential of Eastern route is much greater than the western route since eastern route serves the population greater than 171.6 Million (Balochistan+Sindh+Punjab+Hindko Belt of KPK+GB) which constitutes about 84% of national population than the western route which covers 41.86 Million people (Balochistan+KPK+GB) making up about 21.09% of national population.

This brings up the following question
Why not make Karachi the outlet for CPEC instead of Gwadar ?

But my point is standing on same ,the route will be longer as compare to westerns 1 ,

Western route is just 107km longer

276963_55238751.jpg

The shortest route looks like long term project, the pink one.

From same link

At least eight projects under CPEC are related to KPK:

1. Joint Feasibility Study for Upgradation of ML1
  2. Establishment of Havelian Dry Port
  3. KKH II (Havelian-Thakot)
  4. Upgradation of ML-1
  5. KKH III (Raikot-Thakot)
  6. D.I.Khan-Quetta Highway (N-50)
  7. Suki Kinari Hydropower Project
  8. Optical Fiber Cable from Rawapindi to Khunjrab
13 CPEC projects are related to Sindh:

1. Matiari-Lahore Transmission Line
  2. Matiari-Faisalabad Transmission Line
  3. Port Qasim Power Plant
  4. Engro Thar Power Plant & Surface Mine in Block II of Thar Coal Field
  5. Dawood Wind Farm
  6. Jhimpir Wind Farm
  7. Sachal Wind Farm
  8. China-Sunec Wind Farm
  9. Upgradation of ML-1
  10. Thar Coal Block I & Mine Mouth Power Plant
  11. Gwadar-Nawabshah LNG Terminal & Pipeline
  12. Karachi-Lahore Motorway (Sukkur-Multan)
  13. Joint Feasibility Study for Upgradation of ML1
Only 12 projects under CPEC are related to Punjab:

1. Optical Fiber Cable from Rawapindi to Khunjrab
  2. Haier & Ruba Economic Zone II
  3. Karachi-Lahore Motorway (Sukkur-Multan)
  4. Joint Feasibility Study for Upgradation of ML1
  5. Upgradation of ML-1
  6. Sahiwal Coal-Fired Power Plant
  7. Rahimyar Khan Coal Power Plant
  8. Karot Hydro-Power Plant
  9. Lahore Orange Line Metro Train
  10. Matiari-Lahore Transmission Line
  11. Matiari-Faisalabad Transmission Line
  12. Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park in Bahawalpur
https://walizahid.com/2016/10/16-cpec-projects-in-balochistan-8-in-kpk-chinese-embassy/

Karachi can't handle the ships of big size like Gawadar can. Had Karachi or PQ would have had this liberty, Gawadar would never had rose to prominence in the first place.

If there are enough schools in place why so backwardness then? I thought education helped with development

Others provinces have sui gas coz they are developed? Baloch areas will get it after the development? We are still striving for our fundamental needs, we get electricity from Iran, gas from Iran, edible goods from Iran, petrol from Iran. We even dont have a proper internet service in our cities. Baloch grievances are real and should be address as soon as possible. We dont need just schools but schools with quality education.

Again that brings me back to my question, is there anything thats close to the status of London in the UK?

i dont know why PTI politicizing over CPEC, when are the same one, who stopped Chinese president for signing the Agreement of CPEC, and when government clarify, then according to PTI it is loan, not a investment, now they want their share on CPEC.

One big issue is, all projects for Balochistan are either financed in Gwadar or the network of roads is built for the sake of route going to China. I am not sure how the people of Balochistan will benefit if the road is just passing from their city unless the do get sizeable share of revenue from the trade route.

But what they really need is, jobs, industries, schools, hospitals, electricity, gas and economic activity

Apart from CPEC I'm sure Balochistan provincial government is working on development projects considering the budget of Rs 289 billion for this fiscal year.

"The new fiscal budget includes Rs 218.174 billion of non-development expenditures and Rs 71.182 billion of Annual Development Program. In order to boost industrial and commercial activity in the province, the budget for the upcoming year has particular focus on transport, education, health, infrastructure and productive sectors."

https://www.techjuice.pk/balochistan-unveils-rs-289-billion-budget-with-added-focus-on-education/

It's Chinese money and they have the right to invest wherever they think it's feasible. Who are we to question?

CPEC-projects-in-Balochistan-KPK.png

BREAKING: In an unusual series of tweets today, Deputy Chief of Mission Zhao Lijian at Chinese Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan, explained four provinces’ share of projects in $51.5 billion CPEC (China-Pakistan Economic Corridor).

Zhao’s tweets came in response to criticism in the local press and on social media about the Western route of CPEC and alleged absence of CPEC benefits to KPK and Balochistan.

There have been planned protests by Awami National Party (ANP) against ‘change of Western route of CPEC and deprivation of Pakhtoon and Baloch interests.’

According to Zhao, here is the breakup of CPEC projects:

Balochistan 16

KPK 8

Sindh 13

Punjab 12

Summing up, Zhao asks: Is this China Punjab Economic Corridor?

At least 16 projects under CPEC are related to Balochistan, tweets Zhao.

These are:

1. Khuzdar-Basima Highway (N-30)
  2. D.I.Khan-Quetta Highway (N-50)
  3. Hubco Coal Power Plant
  4. Gwadar Power Plant
  5. Gwadar-Nawabshah LNG Terminal and Pipeline
  6. Gwadar Eastbay Expressway
  7. Gwadar New International Airport
  8. Gwadar Smart Port City Master Plan
  9. Expansion of Multi-purpose Terminal including Breakwater & Dredging
  10. Wastewater Treatment Plants for Gwadar City
  11. Gwadar Primary School
  12. Gwadar Hospital Upgradation
  13. Gwadar Technical & Vocational College
  14. Gwadar Eastbay Expressway II
  15. Fresh Water Supply
  16. Gwadar School
    https://walizahid.com/2016/10/16-cpec-projects-in-balochistan-8-in-kpk-chinese-embassy/

The project list does not look impressive
  • Gwadar Primary School
  • Gwadar School

How much money does it take to build a school ?

ANP comes into the middle with "over our dead bodies" like slogans, the way they sabotaged the Kalabagh Dam, i think this time no lift for them would be the best option.
To play devil's advocate, the arguments made against Kalabagh (flawed they may have been) were understandable. The argument was that it would end up flooding a large portion of land, which would become unusable. Now, we know that isn't completely the case, but it was an understandable fear.

CPEC, however, should be taken to completion, no matter what arguments are made against it.

Karachi port is already overburdened, with other ports (in particular Port Qasim) having to take on extra duty, just to keep up. Now, Karachi port is in the middle of a major expansion plan, but it still won't be enough. Not only will Gwadar port help Karachi port take on the rapidly increasing amount of cargo coming and going from Pakistan, but its position makes it ideal for increased naval trade.

Keep in mind, every single major port in Pakistan is in the middle of expansion plans, with Port Qasim getting a brand new power plant.

Lets have a look at punjab projects.

1. Optical Fiber Cable from Rawapindi to Khunjrab (this is shared by KPK+Gilget)
  2. Haier & Ruba Economic Zone II
  3. Karachi-Lahore Motorway (Sukkur-Multan) (Shared with Sindh)
  4. Joint Feasibility Study for Upgradation of ML1 (Shared with Sindh and KPK)
  5. Upgradation of ML-1 (Shared with Sindh and KPK)
  6. Sahiwal Coal-Fired Power Plant
  7. Rahimyar Khan Coal Power Plant
  8. Karot Hydro-Power Plant (Shared with AJK)
  9. Lahore Orange Line Metro Train (Provincial project meaning Punjab government will payback the loan)
  10. Matiari-Lahore Transmission Line (Shared with Sindh)
  11. Matiari-Faisalabad Transmission Line (Shared with Sindh)
  12. Quaid-e-Azam Solar Park in Bahawalpur
So looks like most of exclusive punjab projects are power plants and guess where most shortages of electricity and loadshedding is? Punjab because over half of Pakistan population live there.

Last edited:
The project list does not look impressive
  • Gwadar Primary School
  • Gwadar School
How much money does it take to build a school ?
Pakistan is, for all intent and purpose, building a brand new city. Schooling is being emphasized, because Baluchistan has a really poor literacy rate. From what I have read, these new schools are going to be absolutely huge, and locals are going to be given incentives to move to the city, and send their kids to these schools.

It's a huge effort, and even small projects can have major implications.

Balochistan CPEC

Khuzdar-Basima Highway (N-30)
D.I.Khan-Quetta Highway (N-50)
Hubco Coal Power Plant
Gwadar Power Plant
Gwadar-Nawabshah LNG Terminal and Pipeline
Gwadar Eastbay Expressway
Gwadar New International Airport
Gwadar Smart Port City Master Plan
Expansion of Multi-purpose Terminal including Breakwater & Dredging
Wastewater Treatment Plants for Gwadar City
Gwadar Primary School
Gwadar Hospital Upgradation
Gwadar Technical & Vocational College
Gwadar Eastbay Expressway II
Fresh Water Supply
Gwadar School

This list is dominated by Gwader projects, but thats not a bad thing. They are changing map of Gwader with these projects. Also there will be railway track to connect Gwader with rest of country, but that seem to be separate project and not part of CPEC yet.

To play devil's advocate, the arguments made against Kalabagh (flawed they may have been) were understandable. The argument was that it would end up flooding a large portion of land, which would become unusable. Now, we know that isn't completely the case, but it was an understandable fear.

CPEC, however, should be taken to completion, no matter what arguments are made against it.

Karachi port is already overburdened, with other ports (in particular Port Qasim) having to take on extra duty, just to keep up. Now, Karachi port is in the middle of a major expansion plan, but it still won't be enough. Not only will Gwadar port help Karachi port take on the rapidly increasing amount of cargo coming and going from Pakistan, but its position makes it ideal for increased naval trade.

Keep in mind, every single major port in Pakistan is in the middle of expansion plans, with Port Qasim getting a brand new power plant.

there is a reason 24 million people live in Karachi and 185,000 live in Gwadar

Back
Top Bottom