What's new

153 Indian refugees at risk as their boat leaks en-route to Australia.

Thank you for your reply! I am sorry but I am unaware of Indian social situation as the country is large so reading anything in the newspaper will never give me the full pircture...But I was a little curious...whats new to you?! The fact that the South also migrate? The only thing about the South that I do know is that they have highest literacy rate...

It was new to me that people try to cross borders on boats ... and that to Australia (If they did it because of financial reasons).

And people from more developed states migrate because of lack of job opportunities at home and better salaries abroad... but no one has to use boats to cross oceans^^

Relatives and friends of Sri Lankan Tamils who risked their lives in search of a better future abroad after the end of the war in May 2009 are desperately seeking information as to their fates.

Thousands of Tamils migrated from the country to escape the violence of the 30-year civil war, which ended with Sri Lankan troops routing the separatist Tamil Tigers.

Many have fallen prey to dangerous human smuggling networks, their families say.

The smugglers reportedly charge between $25,000 (£16,000) and $50,000 (£33,000) to take a person from Sri Lanka to places like Australia or Canada.

Those wanting to get out are first taken to India or Thailand and then to Australia by boat.

Many Sri Lankan Tamils have gone missing during this voyage, while others have been caught by the authorities and are languishing in prisons.

Kokila, a mother of four and a resident of northern Jaffna, has lost all contact with her husband, Jayaveerasingam Sivaguru, who set sail on a boat to Australia two years ago.

Jayaveerasingam Sivaguru has not been heard of for over two years
"He boarded a boat from Pondicherry, 200km [124 miles] south of the Indian city of Madras [Chennai] in October 2009," she says.

"After that I don't know what happened to him.

"Many boats have sunk in the sea. I am really worried. In 2010, I lodged a complaint with the Red Cross."

Another Jaffna resident, Tamizhini, is looking for information about her younger brother, Rassaiya Anandadeepan. She says he left for India by plane and boarded a boat from the western port city of Mangalore.

During late 2009 and early 2010, two separate shiploads of about 600 Sri Lankan Tamils in all even reached Canada. Their claims for political asylum are now being processed.

In February 2012 it emerged that 200 Sri Lankan Tamil refugees were living in desperate conditions in the west African state of Togo.

Usually, however, Sri Lankan Tamils try to head for Australia.

"When we were about 600 nautical miles from Australia our fishing boat developed a snag and started sinking," the man said.

Many travel by assuming fake names and documents.

BBC News - The hazardous journeys of Sri Lankan Tamil refugees

Most likely Srilankan tamil refugees - and its not the first time that a boat sank. Not our responsibility.

These people are useless. They have no skills suitable for the Australian economy. If they arrive, they will live the rest of their lives on welfare and handouts. They are an enormous drain and burden on society. The Australian people hate them so much that they elected one of their most whack PMs in history just because his promise to "ban the boats" was so enticing. These people can languish forever in mosquito-ridden detention cells on Tuvalu or wherever.

These people are useless. They have no skills suitable for the Australian economy. If they arrive, they will live the rest of their lives on welfare and handouts. They are an enormous drain and burden on society. The Australian people hate them so much that they elected one of their most whack PMs in history just because his promise to "ban the boats" was so enticing. These people can languish forever in mosquito-ridden detention cells on Tuvalu or wherever.

Modern Australians themselves are "Boat People". They have no right to give slogans like "ban the boats".

Modern Australians themselves are "Boat People". They have no right to give slogans like "ban the boats".

True. Australia was founded by British colonists who displaced and genocided the native veddoid Aborigines. But now the world has accepted that Australia is a legitimate country who can decide its own immigration and refugee policy.

The boat allegedly left India from Puducherry in the south of India, yet no vessel carrying asylum seekers has successfully reached Australian shores since December 19.

What refugees are they if they are Indian and running away from India?

Tamils could be Sri Lankans as well.

Either they aren't Indians or they aren't refugees but illegal migrants.

what persecution are these indian refugees fleeing? if they are Indians, austalian govt should definitely turn the boat back.

& what are you doing on thread related to India ?
The thread is in world affairs and in international waters say closer to Australia! Kindly learn to read! :enjoy:

Or did India somehow sink and merged with Australia in Indian books?

I said related to India. Where did I say it is in Indian Section ? Read it again and read it slowly this time.
Its not related to India...read first few posts everyone shifted the blame to SL...plus the guys are in international waters! Unless India takes them back its not Indian related!

Its not related to India...read first few posts everyone shifted the blame to SL...plus the guys are in international waters! Unless India takes them back its not Indian related!

"Shifting the blame" would not be an appropriate word as far as my intention was concerned. It is a fact that coast of Kerala and Puducherry is a springboard for human traffickers and for the last few decades Sri Lankan Tamils are the majority among their customers.

"Shifting the blame" would not be an appropriate word as far as my intention was concerned. It is a fact that coast of Kerala and Puducherry is a springboard for human traffickers and for the last few decades Sri Lankan Tamils are the majority among their customers.
Ok...I dont know about any of this so will not comment but agree! :)

More economic migrants pretending to be refugees desperately trying to reach Australia because they have the false idea that they will be given citizenship and will be allowed to live here.

Silly people. If they choose to take the dangerous boat journey that is likely to end in death, it's their own fault.

Here is a good video from our Immigration Minister making it clear people who come here illegally by boat will NEVER live here and will NEVER be allowed to stay here. You will be sent to another country where you will be held in detention until you agree to go home.

Lol what? Not one part of what you just wrote is right let alone does it make any sense.

Illegal immigration by economic migrants seeking to live off of our welfare system will never be tolerated. The boats will be stopped.

True. Australia was founded by British colonists who displaced and genocided the native veddoid Aborigines. But now the world has accepted that Australia is a legitimate country who can decide its own immigration and refugee policy.

Not true at all. Australian Aborigines control most of their own land via Native titles and the Australian Aborigine population is now larger than it ever has been.

Last edited:
@Tshering22, @Aeronaut, @Akheilos, @hinduguy

A boat with 153 refugees from Sri Lanka on board is in trouble 250 km from Christmas Island, it was reported on Saturday.

Passengers have spoken to reporters in Australia, saying the boat left from India two weeks ago and contains 32 women and 37 children and they are mostly Tamils from Sri Lanka.

“We are refugees. We come from Sri Lanka, we stayed in India and we are unable to live there. That’s why we are coming to Australia,” a man calling himself Duke told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

The man said the vessel was leaking and struggling in high seas and strong winds, and requested assistance.

The Australian government has vowed to stop boats carrying asylum seekers from reaching its territory, which includes Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean.

Several boats have been towed back to Indonesia in the past six months, but it was not clear whether this boat could be towed to Indonesia because it did not originate there.

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison refused to comment on the latest boat but said there was nothing to indicate an extreme risk of life at sea.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott told reporters on Saturday that the government would act in accordance with its existing policy.

People who arrive by boat without visas are taken to detention centres on Nauru and Papua New Guinea’s Manus Island. No boat carrying refugees has reached Australia since December 19, 2013.
Boatload of Sri Lankan refugees in trouble off Christmas Island - report

@Aeronaut, please change the title.

@xdrive, Srilankan refugees fleeing persecution.

Last edited:
@illusion8

Ok...I dont know about any of this so will not comment but agree!

Back
Top Bottom