What's new

15 Jordanian F-16 for sale

So are these F16s post MLU better than JF 17s ?

Not in all aspects. Both fighters have their own advantages.

Biggest disadvantage of F-16 is that it is a foreign made fighter and we rely on USA for spares and technical assistance such as modifications, upgrades, major repairs etc.

JF-17 is a joint venture and we are not as much dependent on foreign country as in the case of F-16.

This advantage alone takes away any technical disadvantage JF-17 might have against F-16.

I am not talking about block 52 F-16s but MLUs while comparing the two fighters.

But JF 17 and F 16 belong to the same class of single engine light fighter. No ?
F16 started as light aircraft but block 40 onwards are in category of medium ,
To be honest which blocks at present block 52+ is superior platform in many ways to block 1 & 2 ,even these specs were chosen considering SU 30 MKI in mind so you can imagine PAF love for this machine .

Only logical means for Jordan to advertise the F16 sale is to fulfill certain procurement and sales as tender to invite open bids and negotiation may be last deal has given them some thing to think about as there may be some alarms raised for kickbacks or some thing like this ,anyways this is quite standard in selling stuff in corporates as well as specially Govt ones . @MastanKhan underguide lines from auditor general , i hope this can be one logical explanation.

F16 and F17 are different planes and with different roles ,But i have one question why F17 is not getting the goodies at this stage what the hold up as block wise configuration means we are waiting for some thing but why not in block 2 AESA or other goodies whats the hold up ? also F16 at the end of day will be political and strings attached plane

But JF 17 and F 16 belong to the same class of single engine light fighter. No ?
F16s are used in PAF as the medium weight fighter,while JFT is a light weight fighter. There range and weapons carrying ability makes them ideal for PAF to use as the hi end of the hi-lo combination. So far PAF for reasons which are mainly financial have avoided buying a heavy twin engined fighter. This need has now arisen however resource constraints and lack of a suitable fighter at the right price with the right technological mix to continue PAF vision of maintaining deterrent parity remains a problem.
A

thanks for the post araz.... I slightly disagree with you on the point around a heavy weight fighter.
What we need is not a heavy weight fighter but a fighter slightly better or in the league of f16v.... Or rafael... Or dare i say gripen NGs. These are all medium weights.
Nutshell is that it should be highly agile, shud have long legs, shud have aesa+irst+obog+excellent ew and a gud no of external hard points.
This can be achieved by block 3 jfs provided we think out of the box and get the airframe modified to allow the above. It will require a few hundred usd investment.. Will also consume a yr or two extra but that time can be used to have an a block 2 or block 2b modification rolled out across the existing fleet. In any case a new engine for block 3 will not be ready before 2019...
Remember we are a defensive force. We do not need to go on the road for heavy weights costing a few hundred usd per plane. F16s are here to stay whether as a prime fighter or hopefully in about 6/7 yrs or max a decade as a back up fighter to the highly capable 4.5/5 generation block 3 / TFx / J31.
Jf17s will be almost as capable as block 52 in about 2 to 2.5 yrs time but with just acceptable loiter time and weapons load. In the current scenario and without heavy modifications ... f16 block 52 will always be a one step ahead of jfs. Mlu a half step ahead ...
For the new aircraft the most cost effective route would be a heavily modified block 3 which can incoporate teachings from sister countries and other available resources.
My 2 cents

Last edited:
probably better than Block 2, so what is the point? Or even if they are not they will fill 15 slots as JF 17 production has a cap. So in case you are not getting the point these will replace F7 not JF 17. The induction of JF 17 will continue. Sometimes I wonder.

Basically max J17 around 250/20 eq 12.5, sqn css being the .5 its a training sqn so does not require full 20 a/c
remaining 8-10 sqn or so needs to I guess F16s

so at least 2/4 sqn worth of F16s needed

Also seen JF17 estimate of 275-300 then less number of F16s needed, one reason Pak did not cared if PLAAF would buy JF-17 was their own requirements covers a lot plus international sales of around 50-100 will covers the breakeven magic number of 300 (PAK/CATAC/CHINA which was 150 min. PAK and 150 China not necessarily PLAAF)

Just my view nothing official :)

Last edited:
Pakistan is looking to secure second-hand F-16 fighters
external.png
from both Jordan and European nations via the Excess Defense Articles (EDA) route. The renewed searching comes as the deal to secure the planes from the US collapsed after members of Congress opposed to the fighters
external.png
being procured under the Foreign Military Financing (FMF) program to subsidize the deal. Instead, Islamabad is now looking for a Third Party Transfer of the F-16s, if someone is willing.

So, Pakistan also in talk for potential F16 deal with undisclosed European countries too.

Pakistan is looking to secure second-hand F-16 fighters
external.png
from both Jordan and European nations via the Excess Defense Articles (EDA) route. The renewed searching comes as the deal to secure the planes from the US collapsed after members of Congress opposed to the fighters
external.png
being procured under the Foreign Military Financing (FMF) program to subsidize the deal. Instead, Islamabad is now looking for a Third Party Transfer of the F-16s, if someone is willing.

So, Pakistan also in talk for potential F16 deal with undisclosed European countries too.
Norway Holand Denmark have surplus F 16s

Norway Holand Denmark have surplus F 16s
they have surplus since 1990s, why didnt we buy them in last 10 years...that is an intersting question isnt it..
some say we are waiting for new MLUs to be off service when f-35 comes..

Back
Top Bottom