What's new

12000 HP Locomotives for Indian Railways

The word used is corridors so most probably both.

Details can be provided by @anant_s sir

Locomotive no 30086 was supposed to go trials for 200km/hr trials.

Welcome to CLW Official Website !

@anant_s its status?

Progress of Ongoing Projects at C-D&D

Achievements in the month of July’15

1.Commissioning of loco No. 30086 with Alternate Drive Gear Arrangement for 200 kmph supplied by M/s Henschel/Germany and IGBT based propulsion system of M/s Medha.
2.Commissioning of Hotel load converter supplied by M/s BHEL on Loco No. 30426 completed. Loco to be dispatched to ELS/RPM after final testing.
3.Meeting held at RDSO for modification in spring housing for fitment of the disc brake on WAP7 locomotive.

Targets for the month of August’15

1.Completion of field trials on 200kmph fit locomotive no. 30086 in ASN division.
2.Commissioning of indigenously developed TCN based VCU on locomotive no. 30429.
3.Commissioning of Hotel load converters supplied by M/s Siemens on Loco No. 30445 & 30446.
4.Specification of IGBT based Composite Converter to be finalized after incorporating accepted comments from vendors/RDSO.
5.Specification of RRCS for 3-ph locomotives to be finalized after incorporating accepted comments from vendors/RDSO.
6.Regular cut-in of new software version for WAP7 locomotives after getting feedback from Zonal Rlys.
7.STR of Transformer for 3-Ph locomotives to be finalized after receipt of comments from RDSO.
8.Approval of TOT partners for TCN based VCU developed by C-DAC by CLW/RDSO.

Credits= IRFCA

Last edited:
Locomotive no 30086 was supposed to go trials for 200km/hr trials.
30086 was supposed to be allotted to Vadodra, but now it has been changed to Ghaziabad.
30086.png

Also there is an agenda point of RDSO meeting of Governing council. As per reports i have the work is already underway on Grand Chord line (Eastern railway).
225.png

As on today WAP 5 has speed certificate of 160 kmph with testing done at 180 kph, so graduating to 200 should not be a problem.
184.png

Eastern or western DFC?or both?
There is a system called SIMRAN (Satellite Imaging for Rail navigation) being developed by IIT Kanpur and RDSO. I guess what Rail Minister is referring to is the same system.
Programme 3 - Satellite Imaging for Rail Navigation (SIMRAN)
SIMRAN.png

SIm2.png

PS: i stand to be corrected here, but this is what i could understand.

Thanks for a detailed reply.

But how do you rate the reliability of WAP5 locos. I have heard and went through numerous news items about WAP5 failing.
The link to Mumbai Rajdhani was also changed from P5 to P7 due to this.

Yesterday also a BRC P5 had failed and it needed an Alco for its rescue

Thanks for a detailed reply.

But how do you rate the reliability of WAP5 locos. I have heard and went through numerous news items about WAP5 failing.
The link to Mumbai Rajdhani was also changed from P5 to P7 due to this.

Yesterday also a BRC P5 had failed and it needed an Alco for its rescue
unlike WAP 7 and WAG 9, WAP 5 has had issues of adaptability w.r.t power electronics in Indian conditions and unfortunately the loco which is derived from SBB Re460 has had issues coping with Indian environmental conditions.
url.jpg

The reasons which i can think off are as follows:
1. Speed Constraint
WAP 5 is basically for 18-19 coach fast services. As things stand today, the track and coaches form a bottleneck in achieving this speed and even with best efforts, WAP 5 are constrained to operate at 110-120 kph at best. For Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto, track permitting they go upto 140 kph but that too in sections. Now if 140 kph forms an upper limiting value, WAP 4 and WAP 7 can achieve the same.
2. The Cost
Each WAP 5 costs Rs. 13.70 Crore against 12.82 crore for WAP 7 and almost half that value (7 crores) for WAP 4.
Now if you see this in context of above point, you have a situation where you have a costly loco that does about the same performance as cheaper alternates (The playing conditions aren't level for both locos though), hence IR is a little slow on WAP 5. That bit said as track speeds increase to 150 and beyond, WAP 5 is an absolute king and once track infra-structure and freight separation takes place, we will see WAP 5 in full bloom.
TP.png

Last edited:
@Ankit Kumar 001 @anant_s Let's just rename this thread to "DMIC and Dedicated Freight Corridors".
Sir,
i'm working on a thread (technical information) depicting History of Freight transport through railways after independence, modern traction and DFC. Have collected a lot of historical data, so should be ready with a thread by this weekend. request you to suggest you suitable section where this thread can be posted. hopefully it will be a collaborative effort by all Indian members. there exists a similar thread in chinese forum.

Sir,
i'm working on a thread (technical information) depicting History of Freight transport through railways after independence, modern traction and DFC. Have collected a lot of historical data, so should be ready with a thread by this weekend. request you to suggest you suitable section where this thread can be posted. hopefully it will be a collaborative effort by all Indian members. there exists a similar thread in chinese forum.

Sounds great, please tag me once you do start that thread. Post it in this section, and please no sir.

Central & South Asia

Updated Electric locomotives holdings by different sheds

http://elocos.railnet.gov.in/Holding/holding.pdf

@anant_s

WCAM 1 and WAG 6A/B will be totally decommissioned in one year , but if we go by average loco life, WAG 6s have at least 5-7 years more in them.They were only introduced in 1988.
WCAM 1 have been completely decommissioned. last loco 21852 went out in May this year.
as for WAG 6 series, it already is a case of dead man walking. the spares are in huge deficiency especially electronic cards and even in last few years WAG6 were employed when there was a shortage of WAG5D.
Newer 28xxx series WAG7 are being allocated along with WAG9 to Visakhapatnam ELS.
WAG 6 are part of history now for all practical purposes.

I heard about that - they are in service
30071+30072 coupled WAP 5 loco set. We can see a 25 kV HT cable from lead loco to trailing loco, necessitating use of only one Pantograph.
20151030172534.jpg

14604739370_2779ba86d0_b.jpg

12000 HP Locomotive

Not confirmed news, but ALSTOM has offered wining bid for PRIMA 2 locomotive in Bo-Bo+Bo-Bo configuration (8 axle). These are for Eastern DFCIL.
1200x800---Prima-II-1.jpg
p21.jpg
file_58705_1009694.jpg
P-234.jpg

Last edited:
Sir. Why is the front pantograph being used. Isn't it rule to use the back one. I have seen the WAPs doing soo_O, only twice saw some WAG 7 with front pantograph up. Any specific reason.

But the production of WAP 5 units have been very less this year too. CLW rolled out some extra WAP4 and WAG 7s.

Also after the WCAM 1, IR seems in a hurry to retire the WAMMIES.

From 181 WAM 4 in September, its only 166 in November.

And 7 are to be scrapped by this month.

Also worth noting is despite several news of stopping the production run of WAG7, 3more were delivered last month.

Sir. Why is the front pantograph being used. Isn't it rule to use the back one. I have seen the WAPs doing soo_O, only twice saw some WAG 7 with front pantograph up. Any specific reason.
that is because the unit has only two pantographs (one with each loco) and lead loco draws power for both units.
Raising front pantograph is a practice followed usually in winters although there is no scientific basis for it.
But the production of WAP 5 units have been very less this year too. CLW rolled out some extra WAP4 and WAG 7s.
again unconfirmed news but i hear WAP 7D is slated to arrive shortly.

Also after the WCAM 1, IR seems in a hurry to retire the WAMMIES.

From 181 WAM 4 in September, its only 166 in November
most WAM 4 have crossed 30 years of codal life and given 3800 HP power, these are not suitable for current 58 wagon formation with MUing. and then there is case of maintaining TAO 650 motors which are of 1960s vintage and getting progressively cumbersome to maintain.
Also worth noting is despite several news of stopping the production run of WAG7, 3more were delivered last month.
WAG 7 production will not stop anytime soon as these are replacing both WAM 4 and importantly WAG5 which exist in huge numbers. CLW might stop WAG 7 production but BHEL will continue supply of WAG7 till 2018 atleast.

Back
Top Bottom