What's new

12000 HP Locomotives for Indian Railways

No such thread exists, I would love it if you could create one and contribute! The DFC (and larger DMIC project) is something I try to follow as much as possible so anything you could provide would be very much appreciated.
@gslv mk3
Would you please do the honors.
we can start from UNEP report that studies the feasibility of projects and how Indian Government arrived at idea of what is arguably the biggest infra project for Indian Railways.
i should be ready in a week's time on a small historical perspective of how Freight locomotives were selected on IR.

What?

India still needs foreign assistance and know-how to make a few damn locos?

Perhaps India should consider importing this 11200KW(15000+ HP)200kph locomotive from friendly China?:D

aa51dc0ejw1eu10mmpo52j20hs0dc0v2.jpg

233931ryg99kyzynfh030n.jpg.thumb.jpg

So far no Chinese company has submitted any bids

Hope the French win this thing Americans rarely share tech
Just to be eligible to take part in this competition GE would have to have agreed to full ToT. If i'm not wrong, many of India's current freight trains are built from GE tech @anant_s ?

(Data i'm quoting is from Greg McDonnell's Locomotives: The modern Diesel and electric reference)
Diesel Locomotive
The requirement for Diesel locomotive for DFC was a 4500 & 6000 HP locomotive and both General Electric and General motors Electro motive Divisions are in fray. A total of 700 (4500 HP) and 300 (6000 HP) locomotives are proposed to be procured. For these locomotives a new plant (green field project) is approved at Marhaura in Sasan Bihar. the proposed cost of this plant stands at 2500 crores. the two proposals for the locomotive are as follows:
General Electric
AC6000CW (6,000 HP)
This is a 6000 HP, 4 Stroke V 16 engine equipped with IGBT based traction system. It has a starting traction effort of around 740 KN, close to the electric locomotives proposed for DFC. Maximum speed is around 120 kph.
8990.1437754324 (1).jpg

ES 44AC (4,400 HP)
Evolution Series 4400 HP locomotive, GEVO-12 engine (V-12), with GM 205 alternator. This is one of the most produced and popular locomotive in North America.
5917.1441128766.jpg

General Motors (EMD)
EMD SD90MAC (6,000 HP)
Equipped with GM16V265H, 16 cylinder engine and 6 Siemens motors. The architecture of traction system is almost identical to existing WDG 4 locomotives with IGBT based traction system.
2706.1438864070.jpg

EMD SD70ACe (4,300 HP)

These locos are export versions of older SD70M models and are equipped with 16-710G3C-T2 engines. These locos are compliant with latest emission norms in US.
2757.1440810996.jpg

All pictures taken from Railpics.net

If i'm not wrong, many of India's current freight trains are built from GE tech @anant_s ?
The history of Indian Diesel locomotives is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Locomotive Manufacturer (Country of origin)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WDM 1 American locomotive Company (ALCO)
us.GIF

WDM 2 ALCO followed by DLW India
us.GIF
in.GIF

WDM 3 Henschel
de.GIF

WDM 3A, B, C, D &F DLW
in.GIF

WDM 4 General Motors EMD
us.GIF

WDM 6&7 DLW
in.GIF

WDP 1 DLW
in.GIF

WDP 2 DLW
in.GIF

(Later Classified WDP 3A)

WDP 4 (B and D variants) GM EMD later DLW
us.GIF
in.GIF

WDG 3 DLW
in.GIF

WDG 4 GM EMD later DLW
us.GIF
in.GIF

WDG 5 Designed by DLW with GM
in.GIF

kindly excuse the poor formatting, i'm not able to correct despite repeated attempts. :(

Last edited:
@anant_s

Why are we wasting money for a 4500HP locomotive when we are doing good with 4Ds?

And are the 4,300 hp locomotives being offered by EMD better than our present EMDs?

And are the 4,300 hp locomotives being offered by EMD better than our present EMDs?
Yes and while i don't have a document to show, the new 4300 HP locos we are getting have a much higher starting traction effort than existing WDG 4 (Even for same HP). So what that means is that they will be able to pull heavier trains and sustain a higher balancing speed, something that owing to lower axle rating of WDG 4 will require multiple unit operation.

Back
Top Bottom