What's new

10 Stories That Prove Gurkhas Are the Fiercest Fighters on the Planet

I went to Gilgit 4 years ago on a road trip, and they look nothing like Nepalis, especially the ones working in Indian restaurants in the US. Are you mentally okay?

@Samandri @save_ghenda @WAJsal @krash ????

Great men and great stories ,

They have the same genetics as gurkhas , very brave people they are !

Have u ever seen one they have the same chinese features height and built as nepalese ..have u ever seen any gilgitis or baltistanis ??

They do not look like the Nepalese, are not related to the Nepalese and the Gurkha genes have nothing over their's. The notion itself is ludicrous.

Last edited:
If the thinking is "fck human rights", "fck rules" and "fck teachings and principles of Islam about war", then such people are also bad guys in the story.

Judging from your sentimental response, trying to justifying these war crimes, i guess you are from a fauji family. Killing Taliban is one thing, but subjecting them to worst possible torture (heard it from mouths of faujis themselves) after capture, is war crime, and is against Islam. Those faujis who mutilate dead bodies or torture prisoners to death, should be trialed in courts and punished according to the severity of charges.
I belong to an area formerly affected by the taliban and having seen what they have done first hand I can assure you that nothing done by the army is brutal enough, I have seen young girls kidnapped, molested, murdered and thrown by the roadsides, men murdered in front of their families on roads, at intersections, in homes and their families robbed of anything they have left. They have murdered and mutilated captured servicemen from not only the army but the FC and the police and posted the videos on the Internet for the whole world to see, including their families.
Imagine a world in which the taliban took over your locality and Allah forbid committed atrocities against your family what would you do?
If you think you have a better way to fight this war I invite you to join the army and fight alongside us, if not I respect your opinion but suggest that you keep it to yourself at least till the end of the war, after that you can take the entire army to court which I am sure the politicians would love to do anyways.

Mutilating dead bodies is not bravery but a jahilia practice. I am very well aware of the Taliban getting tortured to death by Pak army guys, it put question mark on their professionalism. Taliban are 'bad guys' because they do gruesome things , but if Pak army guys have also the same level of blood lust or even more (for Taliban dont torture their prisoners to death but do quick beheading), then they are also are not exactly good guys. In the end ,the actions of both will be judged by Allah on the judgement day , and only he knows whether actions of Pak army soldiers like those of NLI are in the accordance with Islam or not.
I don't tend to believe these stories. These are act of cruelty to the dead and should be condemned. I do not think there is any real credible account that might be attached to what Desert Fighter is saying. I know Gilgitis, we are not that cruel. Yes we can be cruel when it comes to being cruel. I just don't think it possible for such people to go to such extremes.
Expect a good fight when it comes to it. Kargil is a good example for us. The bravery displayed by NLI in extreme conditions will always be remembered; and of course the tales of bravery displayed by our jawans too.
The mountains in the Gb area are even higher than the ones in the Pashtun areas, those folks must have some excellent lung capacity, btw it was once mentioned that when NLI capture Taliban, they give the talibs a most gruesome death.
The terrain just makes you mentally and physically very tough, that's the only advantage i can think of.
That's "rumour" wasn't related to the NLI... NLI was infamous for doing the Taliban one up... You martyrs their 1 guy .. They will butcher you all... Literally ..
That's what i have heard too.
@Irfan Baloch. @Wajsal. Let me post a few pics of dead Taliban .. Left by NLI.. (Note; they weren't beheaded etc .. But the wounds they suffered are just gross--)
Unneeded.

They have the same genetics as gurkhas , very brave people they are !
Are you high? Not related to Gurkhas or Nepalese at all. Baltis are different people, Giltis are different, Hunzik are different, Wakhi are different, people from Ghizer are different; and yet so similar. But they don't have any similarities with Gurkhas and nepalese for sure. Baltis share similarities with Tajiks and even Chinese living close to our border. A good number share similarities with Chitralis too.
They and gilgitis have the same chinese features , height and weight thats why i was off the opinion !! i could be wrong here , but from my experience both nepalese and gilgitis look very similar. Avoid personal attacks no need to get so personal kid
Not really, some share similarities with Tajik and Chinese. Can't really generalize as the region is very small but the diversity of the people living is very huge.
For example: i have been called a goora many times, being from Ghizer and part Hunza...I have got cousins with Blue eyes. You are very incorrect in your assessment.
I always thought Gilgitis and Baltis were Dardic people. I have not met any Balti, so I may be wrong. Regardless, I feel like Gilgitis are Dardic like Kohistanis. Kohistanis feel like a different version of Pashtuns due to mountain culture, but they are not Pashtun. I am not an expert but this is my analysis.
Incorrect.
@Samandri A lot of gilgatis look more like tajiks than chitralis I would say.
I can't say the same thing.

I don't tend to believe these stories. These are act of cruelty to the dead and should be condemned. I do not think there is any real credible account that might be attached to what Desert Fighter is saying. I know Gilgitis, we are not that cruel. Yes we can be cruel when it comes to being cruel. I just don't think it possible for such people to go to such extremes.
Expect a good fight when it comes to it. Kargil is a good example for us. The bravery displayed by NLI in extreme conditions will always be remembered; and of course the tales of bravery displayed by our jawans too.

The terrain just makes you mentally and physically very tough, that's the only advantage i can think of.

That's what i have heard too.

Unneeded.

Are you high? Not related to Gurkhas or Nepalese at all. Baltis are different people, Giltis are different, Hunzik are different, Wakhi are different, people from Ghizer are different; and yet so similar. But they don't have any similarities with Gurkhas and nepalese for sure. Baltis share similarities with Tajiks and even Chinese living close to our border. A good number share similarities with Chitralis too.

Not really, some share similarities with Tajik and Chinese. Can't really generalize as the region is very small but the diversity of the people living is very huge.
For example: i have been called a goora many times, being from Ghizer and part Hunza...I have got cousins with Blue eyes. You are very incorrect in your assessment.

Incorrect.

Please elaborate and tell us the differences.

I belong to an area formerly affected by the taliban and having seen what they have done first hand I can assure you that nothing done by the army is brutal enough, I have seen young girls kidnapped, molested, murdered and thrown by the roadsides, men murdered in front of their families on roads, at intersections, in homes and their families robbed of anything they have left. They have murdered and mutilated captured servicemen from not only the army but the FC and the police and posted the videos on the Internet for the whole world to see, including their families.
Imagine a world in which the taliban took over your locality and Allah forbid committed atrocities against your family what would you do?
If you think you have a better way to fight this war I invite you to join the army and fight alongside us, if not I respect your opinion but suggest that you keep it to yourself at least till the end of the war, after that you can take the entire army to court which I am sure the politicians would love to do anyways.
I am not saying that Taliban are good guys , they are "terrorists" and are neo-Khawarij along with ISIS in my opinion. War against them is justified from every angle, but it doesnt mean that soldiers should lose their sanity over it. Killing captured Taliban, extra-judicially, in gruesome manner, serves no purpose. It might give some satisfactions to revengeful soldier, but it doesnt terrorize the people like Taliban. Just hang them after trial in military court, even if its bara-i-naam.

Rebels, terrorists and outlaws behave in certain way, state can not and should not behave like them.

I see what you are saying but the thing is the Pakistani soldier represents the Pakistani nation, defender of constitution, he has to be above all this as he represents law and order, we are not the Congolese army, we are amongst the most disciplined militaries in the world , and these actions are illegal .plain and simple, we can not stoop down to the same level as these savages.

If these people are your father's or leaders, then the choice of respecting them is up to you. I am Pakistani, and we hold no reverence for such people.
Fathers?
Father is the correct one :)
See, in the early days of Islam, muslims were like respecting even prisoners of war. So, if we want to follow the same path we should try to be like our "elders". Respect is a thing that spread Islam.
If you dont want to respect them because they were Indian soldiers, it seem ok(but no to me), but at least we can respect them because of their professionalism.

Not those slinty eyed tajiks, I mean the ones that live in panjsher. similar looking to this guy
image-jpeg.303054

Too bad Indians can't be like anything remotely close to them. :lol:

If you dont have an iota of knowledge then please spread stupidity in here .There is a lots of Indian communities like Sikhs still living in our nation that have martial culture and traditions .Some communities accepted and was loyal to British.Some others openly revolted against them .

They can take down tanks and fight battalions single-handedly.

By Jonathan Schifman

In 1815, the British Army tried to conquer Nepal. But it was easily defeated by Nepal's warriors: the Gurkhas. So the British officers decided that, if they couldn't beat them, they'd get the Gurkhas to join them. A peace agreement ceased all British conquest in Nepal, and the Gurkhas agreed to be recruited into the Crown's military. The Gurkhas have fought in several wars, including both world wars and the Falklands War. Known as some of the most skilled and fiercest warriors in the world, the Gurkhas have impressed (and terrified) everyone around them. On the 200th anniversary of their service, here are some of the bravest soldiers and stories to ever come out of the Gurkha ranks.

1 Dipprasad Pun

Gurkha-Soldier-Cpl-Dipprasad-Pun-Honoured-By-Queen-Elizabeth-II.jpg

In Afghanistan in 2010, Acting Sergeant Dipprasad Pun single-handedly fought off 30 Taliban soldiers. As Pun was keeping guard on the roof of a checkpoint, the attackers came at the complex from all sides with rocket-propelled grenades and AK-47s.

It took less than an hour for Pun to kill them all. He went through all of his ammo—400 rounds and 17 grenades, as well as a mine that detonated—to defeat each attacker. When he ran out of ammo, a Taliban soldier climbed up to the roof, only to be hit with a machine-gun tripod that Pun threw at him.

Pun's valor was rewarded with a Victoria Cross, the highest British military decoration awarded for bravery.

2 Gajendera Angdembe, Dhan Gurung, and Manju Gurung

gallery-1442335302-2-gurkha-image.jpg

The Gurkhas leave no man behind. When a squad of troops was ambushed out in the open in Afghanistan in 2008, one soldier, Yubraj Rai, was hit and fatally wounded. But Captain Gajendera Angdembe and Riflemen Dhan Gurung and Manju Gurung carried Rai across 325 feet of open ground under heavy fire. At one point, one of the soldiers resorted to using both his own rifle and Rai's rifle at the same time to return fire on the enemy.

3Lachhiman Gurung

article-1338429-0064C9D000000258-623_468x644.jpg

In 1945, Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung was stationed in a trench with only two other men when over 200 Japanese soldiers opened fire. Gurung's comrades were severely wounded. As grenades flew in one after another, Gurung tried to throw each one back.

He was successful with the first two, but the third exploded in his right hand. His fingers were blown off and his face, body, and right arm and leg were badly wounded.

As the Japanese stormed the trench, Gurung used his left hand to wield his rifle, defeating 31 enemies and preventing the Japanese from advancing. Gurung survived, and was awarded with a Victoria Cross later that year.

4 Bhanubhakta Gurung
gallery-1442335616-4-gurkha-image.jpg

Bhanubhakta Gurung, who fought against the Japanese in Burma in World War II, was awarded with a Victoria Cross for capturing a bunker almost all by himself.

Starting in a platoon of only 10 troops, Gurung came under heavy fire from machine guns, grenades, mortars, and a sniper. Gurung shot the sniper out of a tree, and then charged uphill alone. He threw grenades into a foxhole where enemies were shooting from and took another three foxholes with his bayonet.

Far ahead of his comrades, Gurung then charged the bunker with two smoke grenades and his kukri knife, the famed curved blade of the Gurkhas. He defeated two Japanese soldiers with the knife, and another one with a rock.

Gurung then held off a counterattack with three other men at the bunker, this time using a rifle.

5 Agansing Rai
gallery-1442335743-5-gurkha-image.jpg

In 1944, Agansing Rai led a platoon of Gurkhas up a Burmese ridge in an open field against machine guns and two anti-tank 37 mm guns. Despite suffering heavy casualties, Rai and his men eliminated all the men at each 37 mm gun emplacement, one of which was hidden in a nearby jungle. Rai was later awarded the Victoria

6 Ganju Lama

As gunfire flew above his head in Burma, Rifleman Ganju Lama withstood a broken left wrist and wounds to his right hand and leg to take on three Japanese tanks in World War II. He crawled in the middle of the battlefield, destroyed each tank one-by-one with anti-tank guns, and defeated the men fleeing from the tanks, allowing none of them to escape. Lama was then taken to a hospital on a stretcher and would earn a Victoria Cross.

Gaje Ghale

portrait_ghale_gaje.jpg

In another battle against the Japanese on the Burmese front in 1943, Sergeant Gaje Ghale was assigned to take a position that the Gurkhas had twice failed to capture. He led his platoon through heavy fire and suffered injuries in his leg, arm, and torso. But disregarding the injuries, Ghale engaged in hand-to-hand combat with his adversaries, taking the position. He then held off a counterattack with his men before letting his wounds get cared for. Ghale was later awarded the Victoria Cross.

8 Peter Jones
1442336087-8-gurkha-image.jpg

Some of the British men who commanded the Gurkhas showed tremendous bravery as well. In 1943, Colonel Peter Jones led a battalion of Gurkhas against the Germans at the Battle of Enfidaville in Tunisia. As the Gurkhas charged the Germans with their kukri knives under fire from machine gun posts, Jones shot down the emplacements with a Bren gun. Jones was wounded in the neck but still joined the hand-to-hand fighting afterward, where he sustained additional injuries to his eye and thighs. He only accepted treatment after the battle was won. His effort was rewarded with a Distinguished Service Order decoration.

I have respect for these guys but the fact remains that the British proved to be the daddies of all. they ruled the the world not the Gorkhas
British used Sikhs, Pathans, Gurkhas and African tribes to further expand their empire and fight their enemies.

British were smart, they saw an opportunity that they could use the Gorkhas instead of exterminating them completely.

what is humbling for us all is that only 2000 white men were present at any given time and they ruled the entire subcontinent of all the proud Gorkahs , Balochs and khans and Marhatas and Rajpoots and Singhs alike.

so lets deflate a little and come back to earth.

before the Brotish all these named races were just tribes in rags.. British clothed them, fed them trained them armed them and introduced them to the world.

so the credit should be given where it is due.
all this awesomeness means dog shite
Gora saabs fcked us all.. live with it.

I have respect for these guys but the fact remains that the British proved to be the daddies of all. they ruled the the world not the Gorkhas
British used Sikhs, Pathans, Gurkhas and African tribes to further expand their empire and fight their enemies.

British were smart, they saw an opportunity that they could use the Gorkhas instead of exterminating them completely.

what is humbling for us all is that only 2000 white men were present at any given time and they ruled the entire subcontinent of all the proud Gorkahs , Balochs and khans and Marhatas and Rajpoots and Singhs alike.

so lets deflate a little and come back to earth.

Why do you think it was possible? We hate each other more than we hate the goras that's why. Divide and Rule still Rulezz! Just look what is happening all over the world. Sunnis fighting Shias, Chinese fighting Japanese, Pinoys and Vietnamese, Russians fighting Ukranians, Indians well..It is known we can't fight :D

All the while Massa (meaning the anglo saxon) elite counting his greenbacks....

, Indians well..It is known we can't fight :D

who says Indians cant fight.. you guys gave Alexander some hammering. its just that the British were very fortunate to discover us when we were busy in a civil war. damn if the Indian rajas loved the navy then things could have been different.

who says Indians cant fight.. you guys gave Alexander some hammering. its just that the British were very fortunate to discover us when we were busy in a civil war. damn if the Indian rajas loved the navy then things could have been different.

90% of the Rajas were fat and debauched tyrants except may be the Peshwas and Sikhs, same is the case with Nawabs and Mughals. The common man was no worse off under British then he was under these "Rajas and Nawabs" why else do you think that majority of the population didn't give a damn.

If resistance was found then it was at the frontier regions like Afghanistan et all. The motley crew did make a half hearted attempt in 1857 when British started taking away their luxuries but we all know how that turned out.

before the Brotish all these named races were just tribes in rags.. British clothed them, fed them trained them armed them and introduced them to the world.
Not all.Some of the people/race/tribe were professionally and historically served in militaries or had their own kingdom and martial history. Brits just gave them new tools of war and European style of warfare and training.

At least, I can say on my behalf as a Rajput.

Not sure about him, met 2 actually thanks to being in immigrant central. One was a Brit soldier who is now a cop, the other runs a smoke shop.

They are ordinary people kept up by a martial culture. Take their kid, put him in a normal US upbringing and bully him.. you'll get a pussy.

It is the environment and not the genetics that matter most.

This post just concluded this thread .It is not genetics but circumstances .
Pashtun are still tough guys because they are still in a conflict region .We also had a fierce martial people in our states .They were the rulers until some of them revolted against Brits under one man .Still that community is existing in our state but nothing when compared to their ancestors .

Back
Top Bottom