What's new

10 Stories That Prove Gurkhas Are the Fiercest Fighters on the Planet

I have respect for these guys but the fact remains that the British proved to be the daddies of all. they ruled the the world not the Gorkhas
British used Sikhs, Pathans, Gurkhas and African tribes to further expand their empire and fight their enemies.

British were smart, they saw an opportunity that they could use the Gorkhas instead of exterminating them completely.

what is humbling for us all is that only 2000 white men were present at any given time and they ruled the entire subcontinent of all the proud Gorkahs , Balochs and khans and Marhatas and Rajpoots and Singhs alike.

so lets deflate a little and come back to earth.

before the Brotish all these named races were just tribes in rags.. British clothed them, fed them trained them armed them and introduced them to the world.

so the credit should be given where it is due.
all this awesomeness means dog shite
Gora saabs fcked us all.. live with it.

Totally agreed .Only few of the martial communties revolted against Brits .One was from my state under a minister of the King .Guess what ,they did the samething that explained in your post and suppressed them for around 100+ years .Most of them forgot their fighting techniques after that .

Totally agreed .Only few of the martial communties revolted against Brits .One was from my state under a minister of the King .Guess what ,they did the samething that explained in your post and suppressed them for around 100+ years .Most of them forgot their fighting techniques after that .
People from your region was the first to enroll in British army along with high caste Rajputs,bhumihar,brahman,Hindustani Musalman etc

Madrasis were envolved in every major military campaign be it against Tipu, Marthas and french.

It was only after 1857 revolt british start recruited Punjabis Sikh and Musalman,Dogras etc in large number.

So Madrasi,Rajputs,punjabi Musalman,Gurkhas,Marathas etc remain loyal to the crown.

A rough history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madras_Regiment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maratha_Light_Infantry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajput_Regiment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajputana_Rifles

Last edited:
Brits are such a crafty race and thats meant as a compliment
they combined the different cultures together in their empire and used it to their advantage.
I cant help but think what could have changed the course of history?
had we the people of Subcontinent invested in the Navy? reconciled and made some alliances for conquest?
the only way to survive back then was to expand and go on conquest.
so much unique knowledge and work was lost ... shamefully due to infighting and rivalries not just between different faiths but intra faith or region... well that was then.

they combined the different cultures together in their empire and used it to their advantage.
had we the people of Subcontinent invested in the Navy? reconciled and made some alliances for conquest?
so much unique knowledge and work was lost ... shamefully due to infighting and rivalries not just between different faiths but intra faith or region... well that was then.

Sir your feelings are totally understandable but the South Asia
of 18 th century was one MAD HOUSE

It was just not possible for this diverse sub continent to
come under one flag or become a nation

The British rule was necessary or else the entire South Asia of Today would have been
one Giant Afghanistan or like Africa

Only the weapons would have changed
People would be fighting with AK 47s and RPG s like it happens in
Today's Africa and Afghanistan

Last edited:
People from your region was the first to enroll in British army along with high caste Rajputs,bhumihar,brahman,Hindustani Musalman etc

Madrasis were envolved in every major military campaign be it against Tipu, Marthas and french.

It was only after 1857 revolt british start recruited Punjabis Sikh and Musalman,Dogras etc in large number.

So Madrasi,Rajputs,punjabi Musalman,Gurkhas,Marathas etc remain loyal to the crown.

A rough history

They recruited the punjabis,Pashtun etc because of payback .. They hated the Hindustanis for screwing them by helping the British.. And in 57 helped the British by crushing the revolt..

A rough history

Your lack of knowledge is astounding .I mean very much astounding .
If you dont know anything about us then please dont quote me .
First of all ,I am not a Madrasi but a Keralite.Madras/Chennai is in TN not in Kerala .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velu_Thampi_Dalawa
This was the minister of the King that revolted against British .Though there was on twist that his army turned against him at once during initial years because of his proximity towards British .
Mutiny of the Nair troops
The armies of Travancore consisted mainly of members of the Nair group of castes. Velu Thampi's 1804 proposal to reduce their allowances was met with immediate discontent. The troops believed that the idea had come from the British and immediately resolved to assassinate both Major Macaulay and Velu Thampi. Velu Thampi fled once more toCochin to seek refuge with Macaulay. The Nairs marched to Trivandrum with a ten thousand strong army of sepoys and demanded that the Maharajah immediately dismiss the Dalawa and end any alliance with the British. Meanwhile, the Resident and the Dalawa collected forces at Cochin and, assisted by the Carnatic Brigade, marched to Trivandrum and put an end to the mutiny. Several of its leaders were executed in the most gruesome manner. One Krishna Pillai, a commander of a regiment, had his legs tied to two elephants which were driven in the opposite direction, tearing him to pieces

Colonel Leger came with Indian troop reinforcements from Madras on 6 February 1809 and camped on the Aramboly pass. The Maharajah who never openly supported the rebellion, now turned against it under the influence of Ummini Thampi, who was a government official and later went on to become the Dalawa of Travancore. Together with the Maharaja's troops, Col. Leger entered Travancore the next morning and attacked the lines of the Nair troops near the Palamcottah fort. The Nair troops were defeated and the Dalawa himself fled to Trivandrum. Having secured entry into Travancore the Maharajas's and British troops now moved into the interior and within a few days the two important forts of Padmanabhapuram and Udayagiri also fell into their hands. Meanwhile at Quilon where the Nair troops were planning yet another final attack heard of the fall of these forts and lost heart and dispersed to their homes. The allied army camped on the outskirts of Trivandrum in Pappanamcode.

Velu Thampi himself fled from Trivandrum to Kilimanoor where he called on the Royal family there. After staying there for the night, he proceeded northwards but was overtaken in the Bhagawati Temple at Mannadi where he was surrounded by the Maharaja's troops. However the Dalawa did not wish to be taken alive. In the temple he asked his younger brother to cut his throat, which request on being refused, he did it himself. Velu Thampi died in the Mannadi Temple. His body was brought back to Trivandrum and gibbeted on the Kannammoola hill.

His brother surrendered and was taken to Quilon and executed there. Velu Thampi's body was taken to Trivandrum and exposed on a gibbet. Velu Thampi's ancestral home was razed to the ground and his relatives after being flogged and banished, were taken to the Maldives when, while at Tuticorin, many of them committed suicide.

Velu Thampi failed militarily against the British Indian Army even though he commanded a well trained army armed with muskets and artillery organised on European military system with 3000 men and 18 guns. Large sections of the warrior Nair caste [which had nearly 80,000 males of conscription age in Travancore] and the common people supported the Dalawa[citation needed]. At the height of power, Velu Thampi, though a good administrator, was stern and tough, and thus alienated some nobles and officials of the crown. The East India Company entered in a treaty with the Maharaja of Travancore, offering their troops to ward off internal and external threats. Though this meant that the Nair army who had fought for the crown during the Third Mysore war would be disbanded, the Maharaja signed it because the treaty helped him maintain his throne, taking away a threat to his rule from future local rebellions because he could call up the English East India Compan's army to put down civil uprisings. And the Maharajah could save the money needed to maintain a standing army and this was an added incentive to his decision to sign the treaty. This treaty of Subordinate Isolation was used by the East India Company in other princely kingdoms in India.

The Travancore army mainly consisting of Nairs who fought so well in defence of Nedumkotta against Tipu Sultan's army in 1790, was the first native force to defeat a colonial power in Asia - the Dutch East India Company in Travancore-Dutch war. The army consisted of athletic troops who had to pass a very tough selection procedure to join, and were trained in the European model of warfare by "Valiakappittan" Eustachius De Lannoy. However, Velu Thampi himself had disbanded most of the States's Army following the mutiny against him in AD 1805. Velu Thampi may not have realised a number of his supposed friends were planning to betray him and that the Maharaja, who was notorious for his weakness of character, would not hesitate to sacrifice his former Dalawa to normalise relations with the East India Company.

In memory of the courage of Velu Thampi Dalawa, the Kerala State Government instituted a memorial, a research center, a museum, a park and a statue at Mannadi near Adoor. Another statue of Velu Thampi Dalawa can be found in front of the "old secretariat" of Kerala in Trivandrum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Quilon

So @Jamwal's please dont quote my post if you dont have substantial info in the field.

@Oscar sir you are absolutely right .Indians dont have any knowledge .They even dont know their own nation and their own people . I could understand that when read his post

Totally agree with you
Again
How can we Sir ?
Look at the post of one of my country men .There you can see the lack of knowledge ,even in this modern world .Then we can imagine the situation around 2 centuries ago .

Your lack of knowledge is astounding .I mean very much astounding .
If you dont know anything about us then please dont quote me .
First of all ,I am not a Madrasi but a Keralite.Madras/Chennai is in TN not in Kerala .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velu_Thampi_Dalawa
This was the minister of the King that revolted against British .Though there was on twist that his army turned against him at once during initial years because of his proximity towards British .
Mutiny of the Nair troops
The armies of Travancore consisted mainly of members of the Nair group of castes. Velu Thampi's 1804 proposal to reduce their allowances was met with immediate discontent. The troops believed that the idea had come from the British and immediately resolved to assassinate both Major Macaulay and Velu Thampi. Velu Thampi fled once more toCochin to seek refuge with Macaulay. The Nairs marched to Trivandrum with a ten thousand strong army of sepoys and demanded that the Maharajah immediately dismiss the Dalawa and end any alliance with the British. Meanwhile, the Resident and the Dalawa collected forces at Cochin and, assisted by the Carnatic Brigade, marched to Trivandrum and put an end to the mutiny. Several of its leaders were executed in the most gruesome manner. One Krishna Pillai, a commander of a regiment, had his legs tied to two elephants which were driven in the opposite direction, tearing him to pieces

Colonel Leger came with Indian troop reinforcements from Madras on 6 February 1809 and camped on the Aramboly pass. The Maharajah who never openly supported the rebellion, now turned against it under the influence of Ummini Thampi, who was a government official and later went on to become the Dalawa of Travancore. Together with the Maharaja's troops, Col. Leger entered Travancore the next morning and attacked the lines of the Nair troops near the Palamcottah fort. The Nair troops were defeated and the Dalawa himself fled to Trivandrum. Having secured entry into Travancore the Maharajas's and British troops now moved into the interior and within a few days the two important forts of Padmanabhapuram and Udayagiri also fell into their hands. Meanwhile at Quilon where the Nair troops were planning yet another final attack heard of the fall of these forts and lost heart and dispersed to their homes. The allied army camped on the outskirts of Trivandrum in Pappanamcode.

Velu Thampi himself fled from Trivandrum to Kilimanoor where he called on the Royal family there. After staying there for the night, he proceeded northwards but was overtaken in the Bhagawati Temple at Mannadi where he was surrounded by the Maharaja's troops. However the Dalawa did not wish to be taken alive. In the temple he asked his younger brother to cut his throat, which request on being refused, he did it himself. Velu Thampi died in the Mannadi Temple. His body was brought back to Trivandrum and gibbeted on the Kannammoola hill.

His brother surrendered and was taken to Quilon and executed there. Velu Thampi's body was taken to Trivandrum and exposed on a gibbet. Velu Thampi's ancestral home was razed to the ground and his relatives after being flogged and banished, were taken to the Maldives when, while at Tuticorin, many of them committed suicide.

Velu Thampi failed militarily against the British Indian Army even though he commanded a well trained army armed with muskets and artillery organised on European military system with 3000 men and 18 guns. Large sections of the warrior Nair caste [which had nearly 80,000 males of conscription age in Travancore] and the common people supported the Dalawa[citation needed]. At the height of power, Velu Thampi, though a good administrator, was stern and tough, and thus alienated some nobles and officials of the crown. The East India Company entered in a treaty with the Maharaja of Travancore, offering their troops to ward off internal and external threats. Though this meant that the Nair army who had fought for the crown during the Third Mysore war would be disbanded, the Maharaja signed it because the treaty helped him maintain his throne, taking away a threat to his rule from future local rebellions because he could call up the English East India Compan's army to put down civil uprisings. And the Maharajah could save the money needed to maintain a standing army and this was an added incentive to his decision to sign the treaty. This treaty of Subordinate Isolation was used by the East India Company in other princely kingdoms in India.

The Travancore army mainly consisting of Nairs who fought so well in defence of Nedumkotta against Tipu Sultan's army in 1790, was the first native force to defeat a colonial power in Asia - the Dutch East India Company in Travancore-Dutch war. The army consisted of athletic troops who had to pass a very tough selection procedure to join, and were trained in the European model of warfare by "Valiakappittan" Eustachius De Lannoy. However, Velu Thampi himself had disbanded most of the States's Army following the mutiny against him in AD 1805. Velu Thampi may not have realised a number of his supposed friends were planning to betray him and that the Maharaja, who was notorious for his weakness of character, would not hesitate to sacrifice his former Dalawa to normalise relations with the East India Company.

In memory of the courage of Velu Thampi Dalawa, the Kerala State Government instituted a memorial, a research center, a museum, a park and a statue at Mannadi near Adoor. Another statue of Velu Thampi Dalawa can be found in front of the "old secretariat" of Kerala in Trivandrum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Quilon

So @Jamwal's please dont quote my post if you dont have substantial info in the field.

@Oscar sir you are absolutely right .Indians dont have any knowledge .They even dont know their own nation and their own people . I could understand that when read his post

Totally agree with you
Again
How can we Sir ?
Look at the post of one of my country men .There you can see the lack of knowledge ,even in this modern world .Then we can imagine the situation around 2 centuries ago .
I am not interested in quoting you either ,why would i ?

There was no Kerala back then but Madras presidency,learn some history.

9th Battalion Madras was known as Travancore.

Just corrected you and FYI my post was in context of the history Madras Presidency and history of Madras regiment which recruit soldiers fromfrom Kerala,Tamil Nadu,Andhra and Karnataka.

So yeah keralites were very much the loyal soldiers of British.

I am not interested in quoting you either ,why would i ?

There was no Kerala back then but Madras presidency,learn some history.

9th Battalion Madras was known as Travancore.

Just corrected you and FYI my post was in context of the history Madras Presidency and history of Madras regiment which recruit soldiers fromfrom Kerala,Tamil Nadu,Andhra and Karnataka.

So yeah keralites were very much the loyal soldiers of British.

Colonel Leger came with Indian troop reinforcements from Madras on 6 February 1809 and camped on the Aramboly pass. The Maharajah who never openly supported the rebellion, now turned against it under the influence of Ummini Thampi, who was a government official and later went on to become the Dalawa of Travancore

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/10-stori...ers-on-the-planet.428799/page-9#ixzz47bqYwyku
Didnt you read earlier post? or Do you have any comprehension problem ?

They called people from Madras to suppress our rebellion .Thanks to the their smart dealings ,tonnes of gold is still in the vault of Padmanabhaswamy temple .We didnt gifted those to Brits like some others did in the case of Kohinoor .

9th battalion also have non Nairs .Majority of non nairs recruited in to that brigade after uprising .

Colonel Leger came with Indian troop reinforcements from Madras on 6 February 1809 and camped on the Aramboly pass. The Maharajah who never openly supported the rebellion, now turned against it under the influence of Ummini Thampi, who was a government official and later went on to become the Dalawa of Travancore

Source: https://defence.pk/threads/10-stori...ers-on-the-planet.428799/page-9#ixzz47bqYwyku
Didnt you read earlier post? or Do you have any comprehension problem ?

They called people from Madras to suppress our rebellion .Thanks to the their smart dealings ,tonnes of gold is still in the vault of Padmanabhaswamy temple .We didnt gifted those to Brits like some others did in the case of Kohinoor .

9th battalion also have non Nairs .Majority of non nairs recruited in to that brigade after uprising .
Absolutely irrelevant and unnecessary rant.

What it has to do with my claim that people from your state (Madras presidency back then) serves under British ?

I know about all these regional resistance to British,they took place at almost every other Province but large number of people and ruling class remained loyal to the British.

Let's just say, Indians are very lucky to have them on their side in the battle field ! :)

They recruited the punjabis,Pashtun etc because of payback .. They hated the Hindustanis for screwing them by helping the British.. And in 57 helped the British by crushing the revolt..
My understanding is that Pashtun tribes who were under occupation of Sikhs, played a major role in Anglo-Sikh wars by assisting Angraiz against their Sikh foes. Pashtun tribes of the five districts were unable to defeat the much disciplined and organized Sikhs , thus they welcomed the help from Angraiz. The chiefs of these tribes were well rewarded for their services in Anglo-Sikh wars and many of them were bestowed 'Khan Bahadur' title. This cooperation between Pashtun tribes of plains and British continued in 1857 war. I think Punjabis of Potahar also detested the Sikh rule and joined the British cause for same reasons. So it was not the hate for Hindustanis, but hate for Sikhs which brought Pashtun and Punjabi musalman under the wings of British. Though cunning Angraiz also recruited Sikhs. And used the anti-Pashtun sentiments of Sikhs to their advantage , they were used against hill tribes of Pashtuns. British officers looked other way when their Sikh soldiers used to torture Pashtun prisoners to death and mutilate their dead bodies. Interestingly they have reported this in their documents.

Sikhs lost their kingdom to British while Pashtun of plain areas didnt win their freedom yet both kept on working for the British. Pashtun of modern day KPK has lost spark since then. Afghan amir Dost Muhammad Khan occupied Peshawar in 1848 after end of Sikh rule but run away back to Kabul on advance of British troops........its because the chiefs of surroundings of Peshawar had sold their loyalties to Angraiz and were not throwing their weight behind Afghan amir..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom