What's new

1,600 personnel die every year without India going to war

So what's being done to combat this? @Nilgiri Any ideas?

Better procedure implementation (for the accidents) + counselling availability (suicide prevention etc)? An example of the former being implemented right now is to forego night time driving if its not really necessary (these do lead currently to number of accidents given state of logistics sharing with civilian infra). Past such low hanging fruit, I don't see much else than to accept its going to happen to some percentage attrition rate. The suicide rate of India is around 16 per 100,000 people. Extrapolating to total denominator of 5 million for armed forces of India (military +paramilitary, active + reserve), means we can expect 800 suicides a year assuming a 1:1 correlation with larger population, but apparently only 120 in the armed forces commited suicide so it implies the risk factors are about 6 times "better" than the average Indian environment overall. Though of course the denominator may not be the grand total I am using.

Honestly I don't even know where this compares on per capita scale to other large militaries of the world that have same accounting standards today (many simply do not disclose it as same extent and have no RTI for it either).

I think say in the US, around 500 a year die in the military (non-combat related), and it used to be around 1500? a year during say late cold war/early 90s (when the US military was also sizeably bigger).

For example (its not exactly fully 100% accurate given it was a war footing rather than complete peacetime... but I think broadly ok to use given Indian forces can be argued to be always in semi war footing or at least large parts of it), the non-theatre, non-combat deaths in US for gulf war 1 amounted to 1565 casualties:

https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/factsheets/fs_americas_wars.pdf

@jhungary maybe can add his insight.

Quoting from another thread:

Better procedure implementation (for the accidents) + counselling availability (suicide prevention etc)? An example of the former being implemented right now is to forego night time driving if its not really necessary (these do lead currently to number of accidents given state of logistics sharing with civilian infra). Past such low hanging fruit, I don't see much else than to accept its going to happen to some percentage attrition rate. The suicide rate of India is around 16 per 100,000 people. Extrapolating to total denominator of 5 million for armed forces of India (military +paramilitary, active + reserve), means we can expect 800 suicides a year assuming a 1:1 correlation with larger population, but apparently only 120 in the armed forces commited suicide so it implies the risk factors are about 6 times "better" than the average Indian environment overall. Though of course the denominator may not be the grand total I am using.

Honestly I don't even know where this compares on per capita scale to other large militaries of the world that have same accounting standards today (many simply do not disclose it as same extent and have no RTI for it either).

I think say in the US, around 500 a year die in the military (non-combat related), and it used to be around 1500? a year during say late cold war/early 90s (when the US military was also sizeably bigger).

For example (its not exactly fully 100% accurate given it was a war footing rather than complete peacetime... but I think broadly ok to use given Indian forces can be argued to be always in semi war footing or at least large parts of it), the non-theatre, non-combat deaths in US for gulf war 1 amounted to 1565 casualties:

https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/factsheets/fs_americas_wars.pdf

@jhungary maybe can add his insight.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/1600-indian-soldier-die-every-year-without-going-to-war.531585/

@waz can we merge the threads maybe?

its okay. let them live in their false utopia. since growing up, ISPR makes the gullible awaam believe pakistani soldiers train in Marvel universe and therefore, are immune to the frailties that all other major armies of the world are susceptible to.
Same can be said on the Indian side as well. Not justifying any of this as it is a very stupid thread to open up in my opinion. Cheers Raanj !!!!

Back
Top Bottom