What's new

Why Hindi-Urdu is One Language and Arabic is Several

2. Eliminate language communalization (Hindi for Hindus, Urdu for Muslims) by neutralizing the script

Exactly.
Its a common misconception among many people that urdu is a muslim language. while it is not.
urdu is nothing, but a mixture of various languages- persian, arabic, hindi, turkish etc.

and all of these languages actually belong to non-muslims.
not a single one of these languages was invented/originated/started by muslims.

Exactly.
Its a common misconception among many people that urdu is a muslim language. while it is not.
urdu is nothing, but a mixture of various languages- persian, arabic, hindi, turkish etc.

and all of these languages actually belong to non-muslims.
not a single one of these languages was invented/originated/started by muslims.

How is religion related to language int he first place ? :what:

One word.. really stupid article from a dubious source..tune into any indian TV channel and one will find what hindi actually sounds like..most of the bollywood so called "hindi" movies are actually in plain urdu. Indian propoganda has always been active in showing urdu-hindi as one language and Pak India as one culture. Often such propoganda starts with Pakistan India were once united country while the history tells are otherwise.

Urdu is a heavily persianised language which has absorbed from Arabic and English as well.

This and nothing more. Now lets close this thread.

How is religion related to language int he first place ? :what:

this is my point.
language has nothing to with a particular religion.
but u have to admit, thta its a common misconception that urdu is a muslim language, while it is not.
i have seen comments of many Pakistanis, taunting Indians for using Urdu language in bollywood movies, claiming its a Muslim language, so automatically belongs to Pakistan, even though it actually originated in India.

Indian members, please open the link below. I am talking in very regular Urdu vocabulary, nothing advanced. Please listen to it, and tell me how much of it you can understand. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I could understand about 90% of it.

Is that really you in the video?

I could understand about 90% of it.

Is that really you in the video?

Yes. Most Indians who have seen this video understand 50-60% of this video. I'm sure you assumed the meanings of a lot of words, going by the sentence structure and stuff.

Yes. Most Indians who have seen this video understand 50-60% of this video. I'm sure you assumed the meanings of a lot of words, going by the sentence structure and stuff.

After partition, Hindi was Sanskritized and Urdu was Arabized. Urdu is nothing but a subset of Hindustani and so is Hindi.

After partition, Hindi was Sanskritized and Urdu was Arabized. Before that, Hindustani was the colloquial form of Urdu.

Yes, Hindi became Sanskritized after 1947. However, Urdu pretty much remained constant before and after 1947. Read the poetry of Ghalib, Bahadur Shah Zafar, Iqbal, Khusro etc; and you will see they are very close to the spoken Rekhta Urdu today used in Pakistani media outlets today. Sanskritized (Shudh) Hindi and the Devanagari script (for Hindi usage, not for Sanskrit) is the creation of 1947 and 1867 (Hindi-Urdu controversy) respectively. Almost all the newspapers and everything else in the Indian Subcontinent prior to 1947 was written in Nastaliq, the original script. Manmohan Singh cannot read his speeches in Devanagari, but he can in Nastaliq. India even made modifications in the original Sanskrit Devanagari script they used for Hindi since 1867, because of its lack of pronounceable alphabets; by adding a "dot" on different Devanagari alphabets, so that the "j" sound could be pronounced as a "z". Hence, they converted the Sanskritized Devanagari into Hindi Devanagari by adding the dots.

Hindi shares with English and most other European languages the same ancestral roots. They evolved from a language thought to have been spoken in Central Asia around 5,000 BC, called by linguists the Indo-European parent language. For this reason (and because of the 200-year influence of the British in India), many basic words in Hindi are the same as or similar to their equivalent in English. English words of Hindi origin include cot, loot, thug, chintz, bandanna, dungaree, rajali, pundit, coolie, tom-tom, and juggernaut.

Hindi language has its roots in the classical Sanskrit language. The language acquired its current form over many centuries, and numerous dialectical variations still exist. Like Sanskrit, Hindi is written in the Dev Nagari script, which is common to several other Indian languages as well. Much of the vocabulary of Hindi comes from Sanskrit, though Hindi also has a special relationship with Urdu. Their grammar and much of their vocabulary are virtually identical. Linguists think of Hindi and Urdu as the same language, the difference being that Hindi is written in Devanagari and draws vocabulary from Sanskrit, while Urdu is written in Persian script and draws on Persian and Arabic. The separation is largely a political one; before the partition of India into India and Pakistan, spoken Hindi and Urdu were considered the same language, Hindustani.

The development of Hindi into a national language had its beginnings in the colonial period, when the British began to cultivate it as a standard among government officials. Later it was used for literary purposes and has since become the vehicle for some excellent prose and poetry.

After independence of India, the Government of India worked on standardizing Hindi, and the following changes took place:
Standardization of Hindi grammar: In 1954, the Government of India set up a Committee for preparing a grammar of Hindi. The committee's report was later released as "A Basic Grammar of Modern Hindi" in 1958.
Standardization of Hindi spelling
Standardization of Devanagari script by Central Hindi Directorate, Ministry of Education and Culture to bring about uniformity in writing and improve the shape of some of its characters.
Scientific mode of scribing the Devanagari alphabet.
Incorporation of diacritics in to express sounds from other languages.

Hindi became the official language of India on January 26, 1965, although English and 21 other languages are recognised as official languages by the Constitution of India.

Yes, I assumed the meanings of a few words. Once you understand the general topic/crux of what was being said, it was fairly easy to reconstruct the meanings of unfamiliar words.

Yes, Hindi became Sanskritized after 1947. However, Urdu pretty much remained constant before and after 1947. Read the poetry of Ghalib, Bahadur Shah Zafar, Iqbal, Khusro etc; and you will see they are very close to the spoken Rekhta Urdu today used in Pakistani media outlets today. Sanskritized (Shudh) Hindi and the Devanagari script (for Hindi usage, not for Sanskrit) is the creation of 1947 and 1867 (Hindi-Urdu controversy) respectively. Almost all the newspapers and everything else in the Indian Subcontinent prior to 1947 was written in Nastaliq, the original script. Manmohan Singh cannot read his speeches in Devanagari, but he can in Nastaliq. India even made modifications in the original Sanskrit Devanagari script they used for Hindi since 1867, because of its lack of pronounceable alphabets; by adding a "dot" on different Devanagari alphabets, so that the "j" sound could be pronounced as a "z". Hence, they converted the Sanskritized Devanagari into Hindi Devanagari by adding the dots.

The street language, the lingua franca of Northern India has remained just the same as it was before partition, which is neither the Persianized urdu nor Sanskritized Hindi.

Indian members, please open the link below. I am talking in very regular Urdu vocabulary, nothing advanced. Please listen to it, and tell me how much of it you can understand. Thanks

if this the pure Urdu, I can say its much different from hindi.

though meaning of the video could be understood as a whole... but i cant explain it by word to word... in fact some of the words I have never listened before

the phrases like "kar dena chahiye", "aag lagana shuru kar dete hai", "me samajhta hoon", "khule dimag se khuli soch" etc
can be well understood

and the words like "gireftar", "sangeen", "androoni" can also be well understood

rest of the talks I have too guess as what should be the meaning of words spoken in this context

Last edited by a moderator:
When most Pakistanis talk with Indians, they try avoid using difficult words that Indians wouldn't understand, hence speaking the colloquial 'Hindustani' that everyone can understand. I make this extra effort all the time, even replacing some pure Urdu words with Shudh Hindi or English words when I'm talking with my Indian friends.

The street language, the lingua franca of Northern India has remained just the same as it was before partition, which is neither the Persianized urdu nor Sanskritized Hindi.

What do you mean by Persianized Urdu? Urdu has always been Persianized my friend. Read the works of Khusro, Bahadur Shah Zafar, Ghalib, Iqbal to understand what I'm saying. However, Hindi was never Sanskritized like Shudh Hindi prior to 1947. There has never been any literary work done in pure Hindi in the past. Even the use of Sanskrit Devanagari script for Urdu poetry was introduced in 1867 & then called Hindi, which resulted in the Hindi-Urdu controversy.

Back
Top Bottom