What's new

Why do people in subcontinent marry cousins?

This thread is ridiculous!

Cousin marriage is NOT imbreeding, and is a great thing.

There is more than enough genetic disparity in cousins to produce healthy babies!

Cousin marriages are common throughout the Old and New testament, and in Islam it is permissible!

People are foolish for believing such propaganda... They rely on their own whims and notions, and negate facts and disregard truth!

Cousin marriages are natural and good! People should not use their biases to justify their silly notions!

This thread is ridiculous!

Cousin marriage is NOT imbreeding, and is a great thing.

There is more than enough genetic disparity in cousins to produce healthy babies!

Cousin marriages are common throughout the Old and New testament, and in Islam it is permissible!

People are foolish for believing such propaganda... They rely on their own whims and notions, and negate facts and disregard truth!

Cousin marriages are natural and good! People should not use their biases to justify their silly notions!
Seems like somebody has a crush :smitten: on a Cousin.:azn:

I fully understand your rant and looking at Religion as the first and final reference point but still you miss the point by a mile.

What I gather from discussion - scientifically and also religiously, there appears no logic to PROMOTE cousin marriage or even religiosly no-one has quoted it as "BEING GREAT". The view might vary from inconclusive / indifference to against it but I will love too see a source from you stating that it should be promoted and its is great.

So it might be harmful or might not be, better safe than Sorry is what I would say.....

cousin (mom's brother's/dad's sister's kids) happens here in my place. and about gotras... its technically never possible to have the cousins' (refer above for definition) gotra same as yours.

its forbidden to marry other cousins (mom's sister/dad's brother) as they would be your brothers...

marrying a person from same gotra is forbidden in southern india too.

another strange kind of marriage is marrying a girl to mother's brother.

Indeed very many unusual marriges take place in the subcontinent

Here is a sample of marriges from india.

multiple instances of 1 woman with 2 husbands

See we have a tradition from the beginning to have a family of five to 10 people. Two brothers and one wife." Kundan says.

They practice what is known as fraternal polyandry -- where the brothers of one family marry the same woman. Why? Tradition and economics.

Brothers share wife to secure family land - CNN.com

Lawyer Asha Thaker, who practises in the family court, was recently taken by surprise when she was consulted by a woman and her two husbands, who wanted to know what legal recourse they could take to protect the financial interests of their wife without running into any legal hassle.

The 48-year-old woman lives in upmarket Satellite with her 55-year-old first husband, who has taken retirement from service, and a 54-year-old second husband, who is a government employee.

Wife with two husbands! - The Times of India

Man marrying his grandmother

“I felt she needed extra care as she is old. I can look after her better as a husband than as a grandson,” Narayan Biswas told Reuters on Friday.

Indian man marries his grandmother | Altermedia Scotland

Man marrying a dog

An Indian man has "married" a female dog, hoping the move will help atone for stoning two other dogs to death

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Man 'marries' dog to beat curse

Incest IMHO, not allowed in Punjab. But its 2010 now, and marriage is a tool for going abroad.

Man marrying a dog

come-on Man that was a very weak troll. put some efforts into trolling. We are from a mystic land, with all sorts of weird things happening. Pull out some real dirty stuff to make us angry.. Noone will feed you for this lame troll. Bring up something ike Women making out with a ******* corpse--- can't find it--- write a blog post and then post it here--- get innovative--- this lazy attitude will not take you anywhere in the world of trolling.

Man marrying a dog

Taking name of Subcontinent, You cleverly presented only Indian unusual marriages.. Please clearly mention that you are trying to Troll.. so atleast we can understand that we have to ignore you...

actually come to think of it shahid afridi married his first cousin and his girls are gorgeous ! probably gonna very pretty when they're older

S_26_1.jpg

nope don't see anything wrong genes looks fine to me.

Gotra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting! But according to your talk and what wiki told me, you and your mom's brother will have different gotra right? So you can still marry your mom's brother's son/daughter?

I don't know of this North-South India Business though.

that is for taking the new name...if a girl post marriage gets a new gotra...that is for her name paper etc, her genes are still same, and are aligned to her mama (mom's bro) hence a no no

WOW! Favored?? Are you serious?

yes it is, in some sections of south india. i was surprised when i came to know that if a guys much elder sister gives birth to a girl, then the girl has to marry mom's bro, ie mama...for us in punjab mama does chooda and wedding dress, in a way he does kanya daan...so it was shocking for me to hear....

then i asked more as to why they do this, marry first cousins and mama...they say it is a tradition coz these guys long back had lot of gold and land etc, and they did not want to get a girl from outside and break the house for money or property, hence in olden age they made a practice of marrying within the family to protect the culture, assets and try to keep harmony...

merrying your cousins, my parents are i aint no retard? but at some points yes! :D but still cousins should not get married why? beacuse it unfair of arrange marrages ... people should date halal have a shapron that what i did :lol: no for real .. falled in love with Fatima who is somalean ... preety big in a pakistani family... all i can say is follow your heart and respect your future wife and keep your virginity beacuse that question will come up and NO ONE should start with a lie

hey it is not 100% of times that issue comes up...but yes genes should not get mixed within the family...even if heart wants...mind should rule in this case...

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

I am replying to main topic.... I read somewhere in my sister's Social science book that marrying a cousin/first relative is having problem with purity of blood... but simultaneously it stops evolution in sense of blood and DNA...

In north India, Hindus treat their cousins as sisters only but I heard in Andhra and other southern states of India, girl can marry to Mama (Mom's brother) or siblings from him... Please confirm if anyone knows..

yup what u heard is true. some southern communities marry in 1st cousin and mama's

actually come to think of it shahid afridi married his first cousin and his girls are gorgeous ! probably gonna very pretty when they're older

S_26_1.jpg

nope don't see anything wrong genes looks fine to me.

yeah...but genes dont do work immdly always, ever wondered why some people have grey, blue eyes when none of their grand parents, or gread grand paretns or any one in the family has it...it is genes it works in mysterious ways...may not affect now but is in blood and may start disturbing later...or not...so it is a chance for sure...

Acc to Hindu marrige act cousin marrige is illegal(except for complex situation in which it is allowed)
Well in North india(hinduism) the cousin marriage is the great taboo.....
in very few south indian hinduism(only few situtaion are legal) & many indian muslim cousin marrige is practiced

Back
Top Bottom