What's new

Why didn't the Chinese people overthrow Mao's government during the Great Famine of 1959–1961? Many

feel sorry for the chinese who cant say anything back about china or ccp,i respect all the chinese trolls here as they dont have any choice,after all they cant risk their life.:-)

If you really think this, you have no knowledge on China. There is complete freedom when in private discussion regarding anything.

Also, noone really checks these english language forums.

The Chinese commentators here are expressing what they think, and there is quite a following of Mao which can't be wished away.

If you really think this, you have no knowledge on China. There is complete freedom when in private discussion regarding anything.

The Chinese commentators here are expressing what they think, and there is quite a following of Mao which can't be wished away.
I wish what ever you say is right,chinese people are hard working they deserve better,

Why didn't Americans revolt during the Great Depression, when milk was being dumped into the ocean as infants starved? There is photographic evidence of starvation and malnutrition in the Great Depression, but not the Great Leap Forward. If 15 million died, there would be bones in the soil from that era and mass graves, none were found; WW2 produced supposedly less deaths but mass graves are still being excavated.
Your denial of the millions of Chinese deaths from famine caused by Mao's economic incompetence would be the equivalent of Americans denying slavery ever existed in the US.

Your denial of the millions of Chinese deaths from famine caused by Mao's economic incompetence would be the equivalent of Americans denying slavery ever existed in the US.

Not really. Slavery was a conscious decision to enslave millions of people for selfish purposes, over decades.

This was both due to failed policy, and natural hardship, as well as general isolation from the rest of the world. At that time, famine wasn't completely uncommon, as someone pointed out. Even in India we had periodic famines during British Raj, so do Britishers pay for all of those dead?

Looks like the scene of an execution. Like many other nations around the world, China practices capital punishment. Though lethal injection and electric chair is gaining more dominance in the recent years, execution by gun shot is the main method in 90s. (I am not sure when is this photo taken or its authenticity, but it looks to be between mid 1980s to early 2000s.)

Looks like the scene of an execution. Like many other nations around the world, China practices capital punishment. Though lethal injection and electric chair is gaining more dominance in the recent years, execution by gun shot is the main method in 90s. (I am not sure when is this photo taken or its authenticity, but it looks to be between mid 1980s to early 2000s.)

Oh, that explains alot.
Just questioned that picture because the person at the gunpoint looks more like a kid.

We try to stay away from deifying anyone nowadays, but Mao's achievement is undeniable. He is not without his faults, but considering the level of devotion he had towards the well being of the Chinese civilization as a whole, the implications made by some posters is rather ridicules.

History is such a complex issue that I personally don't believe any historical event can be analyzed alone without taking into consideration of the historical context, the background and the interconnecting history. Some of the events and decisions make look ridicules if taken out of context, but once you have the proper frame of mind, then it will make much more sense.

There are a lot of example in this regards. For example, a few weeks ago I was discussing on why Germany launched the invasion of USSR during WWII. On the surface, it looked like a bad decision because it was the key event leading to the German defeat, but once taken into the context of the speed of industrial development in USSR, as well as the state of Germany's rivals in 1941, operation Barbarossa actually struck at the perfect time. Had Germany waited for a few more years, USSR would have the time to build uncontested and it would roll over the Germans rather easy since its economy was already stretched thin prior to WWII.

Similarly, Mao and his era cannot be discussed without understanding the proper context first. Though, for the record, Mao really isn't the one setting economic policies. While Mao was indeed the top leader of China, like any leader in a large civilization, they approve or disapprove policies, but don't necessary set them because their expertise lay elsewhere. Mao himself is a military strategist and a brilliant one at that, but he leaves diplomacy and national security to Zhao Enlai and economics to Deng Xiaoping or Chen Yun. The latter has been responsible of CCP's economic aspect since the 1930s.

Oh, that explains alot.
Just questioned that picture because the person at the gunpoint looks more like a kid.

I don't think that is a kid at all. In fact, I will not be surprised if the woman is well over 30 or even in the 40s. East Asians matures slower, but keep their youthful appearance for longer time than their Caucasian or African counterparts.

China, like most nations in the world, has reduced punishment against minors and instead opt for the education/behavior correction. While it is theoretically possible for a minor to receive capital punishment, the crime must be rather extreme and gruesome for that to happen.

We try to stay away from deifying anyone nowadays, but Mao's achievement is undeniable. He is not without his faults, but considering the level of devotion he had towards the well being of the Chinese civilization as a whole, the implications made by some posters is rather ridicules.

I wouldn't agree here with you my friend. Mao, due to his unique circumstances actually hated traditional Chinese life, and was actually very much sold on to Communist beliefs of tradition as bourgeois.

Why, my dear friend, else would Mao embark on his biggest sin, and something no Chinese can ever forget- The very destruction of his Civilization? Cultural Revolution. How many traditional relics were broken at that time? Confucius and his wise teachings, which were the base for thousands of years of Chinese states, was proclaimed as bourgeois and his teachings banished. Forbidden City would have been destroyed if not for the intervention of Zhou Enlai.

Similarly, Mao and his era cannot be discussed without understanding the proper context first. Though, for the record, Mao really isn't the one setting economic policies. While Mao was indeed the top leader of China, like any leader in a large civilization, they approve or disapprove policies, but don't necessary set them because their expertise lay elsewhere. Mao himself is a military strategist and a brilliant one at that, but he leaves diplomacy and national security to Zhao Enlai and economics to Deng Xiaoping or Chen Yun. The latter has been responsible of CCP's economic aspect since the 1930s.

I understand the circumstances, and perhaps that played in his decisions.

Also, I don't buy that it was not him directing policy. Mao was very much involved in policy, and if you read all accounts he was very enthusiastic in setting up communes etc. Deng Xiaoping, who I regard as the greatest Chinese leader, a true nationalist, was persecuted endlessly by Mao for standing up to his decisions.

Rather, after the disaster of his Great Leap Forward, Mao started getting sidelined in his own party, which is the reason he sidestepped his own party in starting the Cultural Revolution, which eventually led to the persecution of all kinds of people, including Deng Xiaoping, Xi Jingping and his father.

Cultural Revolution destroyed schools and colleges, stopped all education, and was perhaps the worst decision of the 20th century.

Not really. Slavery was a conscious decision to enslave millions of people for selfish purposes, over decades.

This was both due to failed policy, and natural hardship, as well as general isolation from the rest of the world. At that time, famine wasn't completely uncommon, as someone pointed out. Even in India we had periodic famines during British Raj, so do Britishers pay for all of those dead?
You missed Tai's point, which was that there is little to no evidence of the great famine and he pretty much set the standard at photographic evidence. By that standard, since we have no photographic evidence of dinosaurs, that mean dinosaurs never existed. I have no photographic evidence of my great grandparents, that mean they never existed.

The denial of the great famine by the Chinese members here are amazing. The mental gymnastics for the same is no less astounding.

Back
Top Bottom